1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Maurizi

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heavyd, Apr 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ChristopherFol

ChristopherFol Active Member

Thanks for your great post. I purchased a pair of the Maurizi cap toe boots as I had sprung for a pair of Edward Green's the winter prior and did not want to spend that kind of money again so soon.
    I was hesitant because of the low price ($250) and the fact that I saw the brand on Gilt all time, mostly just shoes, and Most of the merchandise I I have purchased on Gilt has been poorly made borderline factory seconds.
    Upon arrival I compared them with my other dress boots and then took them to my shoe man who works on my Green's, Lobb's, C and J's,, Santoni, etc for the comfort insoles and usual new boot treatment.
    My comparison was consistent with previously noted areas of concern, thin leather and outsoles thinner than I am used to. That said, I must say that as far as style goes, worth every penny, only my Green boots have that stylish a toe, the C&J Northcote is a close second. The color is great, very similar to my CJ Northcotes and my old Alden Indys. The leather and construction are not the quality of the EG and CJ's, but it is not bad at all, better than the AE's and Nordstrom brands I have seen. My personal opinion is that for the money, they were a really good buy, the styling and the color and detail are great, the weight is light, however I have not found that to be a problem as I normally wear a thicker sock with my dress boots.
    The real test was my shoe man, who I have used for 15 years now and does all the work on top end shoes for every friend of mine. He does amazing work, but will insult you to your face if he thinks your shoes are crap, regardless of the label, eg- a buddy spent 700+ on a pair of Gravati's, Danny told him he had more money than sense and showed him all the shortcomings of the shoe.
    Fearing such a backlash but needing my comfort insoles I took them in. When I picked them up, Dan said nice boots, not as good as your others (he was referring to my CJ's I had him work on a couple of weeks before), but overall nice. When I told him the price I paid, he said "you got a great buy". That sealed the deal for me. It I saw a similar pair in a different color and/or plain toe I would buy them again.

2. rx330

rx330 Active Member

I just purchased a pair NWD of Maurizi Chelsea boots from ebay for $36 best offer. The only reported defect is that one boot strap is torn, which I'm sure should be an easy fix. Once they arrive, I'll provide an update with my opinion of the quality and fit.

3. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    I was very surprised to read all of the negative comments about the AM's. I bought a pair of dark brown suede chukkas more than 2 years ago now, and they were, at one point, worn more than any other shoe in my rotation.

They were comfortable, and I never had a problem with them. Probably because they didn't coat as much as my other shoes, I wore them through rain and didn't pamper them as much. After all that, they still look good (if a bit nappy), and they're still comfortable. The he'll is being worn down (its either rubber or some rubber/plastic combo), but only because I wore it so much.

The fact that I got it on Gilt (on 'sale'), only makes it an even better value.

Am looking at another pair on Gilt now, but am waiting for a couple of MTOs, so hard to justify another pair even if they are cheaper. ;)

4. shady_2001

shady_2001 Senior member

seldom comment in menswear but i thought i'd say, i picked up a pair of these not too long ago from the local italian importer after mulling over them for an hour. on discount they were a great bargain and sat comfortably between the high end santonis and low end i-don't-know-whats.

the leather on my brogues are satisfactory, bit stiff but not plasticky. reasonably comfortable after first few wears. build quality is no worse than loake 1880s, in fact, they might be slightly better. and they are quite handsome in the silhouette. of course you must be quite mental to pay the 600 to 700 they are asking for on their website, but in my opinion for $200-250 they would be a great buy, and even at $300 they are worth considering. this is one of those true mid-range men's shoes that you don't need to fuss about and can wear into the priciest restaurant in town.

as for the gilt offerings, i've taken a peek at them and they are certainly not the same quality. i can tell from the soles; mine are properly and deeply channeled. err...caveat emptor.

other than that, i will always strongly consider this brand in the future.

5. Syed14

Syed14 Member

I am thinking of getting this pair of Maurizis. Reading the reviews here, I have mixed feelings about these. Can anyone comment on how well made could these be? I can get them @ $280. I'm just a beginner here, so would really appreciate some expert advice on these. And if not these, what other options could I go for under $300? Thanks in advance.[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

Maurizi's dont get much love here, but you are talking to a crowd here who are dying devoters to the like of C&J, John Lobb, Aldens and Allen Edmonds. Almost all of these are VERY conservative shoes, mostly rounded and look a bit "bulky" save for a few.

I've picked up a pair of tan Maurizi oxford wingtips for about 120 dollars on Myhabit last year after a 30% off coupon and they are definitely a great deal for that price. Compared to my Fratelli and Ferragamo I agree that the leather appears to be a bit thinner, and overall the shoe is bit lighter thought at the same time it wears pretty comfortably. It is full grain leather and is much better than the plastic Mezlans which I wear rarely. For less than $200 I would say they are a great choice. Not sure if you want to pay close to $300 as there are other options to choose from.

7. Syed14

Syed14 Member

@ultramantaro

I totally agree that Maurizis are in no way near the likes of Lobb, EG or GG but I was looking for a chelsea boot that I could just beat up with everyday use and won't regret it. The price for these is definitely a bit steep because I could keep digging and find something way better than these boots for the same price. Thanks for your input.