1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Antonio Liverano, Florentine tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior Member

I think it was around 4.500€ two years ago (2013).

2. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I believe they start at €5000 including VAT. I don't know if they offer a VAT Global Blue deduction, just email them and ask. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

3. carpu65

carpu65 Senior Member

Overpriced.
    In Florence are a lot of good tailors very less expensive.

4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

And they'll eventually be overpriced once a clothing store like the armoury gets a hold of them.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

How true.

6. jedwards

jedwards Senior Member

The 'problem' is, us outside of Italy and more specifically Florence (if we are talking about a 'Florence' style, should one exist), is that we don't know how to find these tailors or if they are any good, because they have limited internet presence?

7. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

Well, likely Liverano has been seen in the right medias, people have liked what they've seen or read, and demand has risen. L&L cannot handle dozens of new clients in a heartbeat, so they've raised their prices to limit new members in the L&L Club. If men are willing to pay these kinds of sums, then the price is right -- but likely the price-quality deal is not great anymore. There are thousands of tailors in Italy and many of them are not known online or internationally. Who knows what skills are just waiting to be discovered?

8. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Many tailors in Milan and Florence charges €4000-5000 for a suit - clearly there's a market for it. Take Sartoria Luigi Cappelli as an exemple. Who has ever heard of him on Styleforum? He charges €4000-4500 for a two-piece if I recall correctly. He works out of a small apartment near Piazza della Repubblica, and has never been mentioned by any high end retailer ever. Of course you will pay a premium to have a tailor visit you in Hong Kong, Tokyo or New York, no retailer sets up a trunk show for free.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

I have tried to email L&L x3 times in the last year (as well as a friend), with no responses. It looks like they don't care for direct contact from new US customers, only through The Armoury. Maybe their operation is too small for new business, but I'm always discouraged by bad customer communication...

10. PSNY

PSNY Senior Member

Which other tailors in Florence have a house style similar to Liverano? The roundness, lapel roll, open quarters, and absent front darts are all Florentine traits. I have not seen any tailors in Florence with such easily distinguishable roundness and lapel roll compared to Liverano.

@Leaves , Sartoria Capelli looks pretty good. One of the jackets on his website has the very Florentine roundness and lapel shape. While they aren't mentioned much on StyeForum their website is translated in several languages including Russian. I am sure they get plenty of business internationally hence the prices.

[​IMG]

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

JW, for those who used to use Liverano/Corcos/etc before they had to raise prices, do you also have to pay the higher rate? Or are you grandfathered in at the old rate

12. carpu65

carpu65 Senior Member

Cappelli is about 3500 euros for a two piece
    Depends by fabric...and by customer.

13. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Distinguished Member

Did a very unscientific A/B test on this subject a year ago. Emailed twice for information: once in English and once in Italian. No reply in English. Complete reply in Italian. Not exactly a representative sample, but could be an explanation.

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

I'll have to see if I get a response with this method. My friend emailed in Japanese, hoping to hear from Taka at least. No luck there...

15. carpu65

carpu65 Senior Member

Florentines (especially traders) are reserved,suspicious and a bit cold.
    Established tailors have their customers and don't care much to procure new,especially if are to top,as Liverano at this time.
    Many tailors are "invisibles",working at home with a bunch of loyal customers,in this way not pay taxes or rent for the shop...and of course the price is at reasonable level.
    In Italy is called "economia sommersa" ("underwater economy" or "shadow economy")...also many "visible" tailors work in this way for some good trusty customers.
    In few words,generally 5000 euros for a bespoke suit is a price for foreigners,or for unaccustomed and unfamiliar customer...or for few tailorshop internationally recognized with a wealthy international clientele.