1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Antivirus software recommendation

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Sep 7, 2006.

1. mussel

mussel Senior member

My old one that came with my computer kept crashing so I uninstalled it, now I am shopping for one. Norton and McAfee are the best known and I was about to pick one of them until I read customers' dismal reviews at Amazon. Reviews for some other lesser known softwares were little better but inconsistent.

What are you guys using? Any recommendation?

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I use Kaspersky, and I'm pretty happy with it.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

I've used Norton with little trouble (besides the bloat) for a long time, but I have seen that the newest version is much more buggy, and even the earlier version will not integrate properly with Outlook (though O.Express works fine). If you must use Norton, get 2005.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

I use Norton and dear god does it slow my life down when it is scanning emails.

God forbid I may be doing anything else processor intensive while my email autochecker runs and Norton scans it.

Drives me crazy if I am - say - using Photoshop (bloat strike 1), when Outlook autochecks (strike 2) and Norton scans the incoming attachment (Strike 3, yer out, all your windows are turning white and your disk is spinning so loud that the neighbours think youve opened a nightclub)

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

I use Norton AV on both my laptop and my desktop. They're both fairly fast so I don't have m@T's problem. The only down side so far is it costs money every year. I run it together with Outpost firewall and have been virus free several years.

6. phooi

phooi Senior member

I use AVG by Grisoft. It's free and no viruses to date.

7. Homme

Homme Senior member

I use avast, as the windows vista beta i'm running won't run norton. So far, so good.

8. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

My wife uses AVG and I currently use Windows Live. I like the features in Windows Live but will probably switch to AVG once my license expires.

9. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

The only down side so far is it costs money every year.

It doesn't need to. I use Norton too and other than the lag problems others have stated, it is fine. I reformat once a year and just reinstall Norton each time. It gives me another year of service and updates.

10. DNW

DNW Senior member

I reformat once a year and just reinstall Norton each time.

That's a lot of work for 30 bucks' worth of software.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Second thumbs up for AVG antivirus.
    I use ZoneAlarm for firewall / security and it seems to be a winner as well.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

It doesn't need to. I use Norton too and other than the lag problems others have stated, it is fine. I reformat once a year and just reinstall Norton each time. It gives me another year of service and updates.
    It will only work 3 times per CD/code. Or so I hear.

13. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

That's a lot of work for 30 bucks' worth of software.

True, I don't do it for $30 free though [​IMG] I use it to clear all the spyware that I'm certain develops over a year.

It will only work 3 times per CD/code. Or so I hear.

I think I'm on my third reformat with this Norton disk. I usually buy a new version every few years just to get the engine upgrade.

14. visionology

visionology Senior member

Trendmicro PC-Cillin here. Fast scans, good firewall system, great antivirus protection, email spam scanner that works, nice package. Switched from NAV a couple years ago based on some reviews.

15. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Trendmicro PC-Cillin here. Fast scans, good firewall system, great antivirus protection, email spam scanner that works, nice package. Switched from NAV a couple years ago based on some reviews.

I'll have to second that. I believe it's the one recommended by Consumer Reports, as well.

16. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I`m currently shopping around for new virus software as well (my licensce expired). In the past I`ve tried NAV and Mcafee, so now I`m testing a trial version of Bitdefender.

I`ve only been using it for about a week, but I think it`s pretty good. The virus protection seems better the popular software packages, and it includes spyware, firewall, spam filters, etc.

17. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I use the best anti-virus package out there, OSX "Panther."

18. DM.ru

DM.ru Well-Known Member

NOD32...one of the best....doesn't take too much resources and works just great!

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I use the best anti-virus package out there, OSX "Panther."

[​IMG] We are working on that...

20. bob

bob Senior member

Nod32 is the industry standard, if you'r willing to fork out some cash. If you don't want to pay get avg free by grisoft. Make sure you have an extra layer of spyware protection. I recommend microsoft windows defender or ewido anti-spyware. Both are free.