• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antitrust Lawsuit Filed against eBay over PayPal, Payments Policies

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Michael Malone filed an antitrust class-action lawsuit against eBay this week under the Sherman Act, alleging eBay "utilizes its nationwide monopoly of the on-line auction market to monopolize the available forms of payment that sellers can use on eBay." eBay controls which payment methods sellers may advertise in their listings, and this year, it eliminated buyer-protection for non-PayPal transactions. eBay owns the PayPal payment service.

The lawsuit alleges that "Sellers who would otherwise accept only money transfers must also accept Payment Card transactions." Some sellers have expressed the desire to use PayPal with the ability to reject PayPal payments funded by credit cards, which they may not do under eBay's current policy.
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m04/i06/s01

http://www.economist.com/finance/dis...ory_id=9122582

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah... all you legal types, what do you think of the chances he has with this one?

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's to eBay being bitchslapped as hard as is electronically possible.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resistance is futile. I'm no law-talking guy but I think this is going nowhere.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Resistance is futile. I'm no law-talking guy but I think this is going nowhere.

May be his lawsuit is propped by Google. I'd like to know which law firm represents him.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate ebay and their fees but I dont see this winning. Ebay is a business and they can do what they want. Paypal got hit with a lawsuit before but they lost that only because they were freezing peoples accounts with no warning. If google checkout were actually a peer to peer payment service, I could easily add it as a payment option just by typing "no paypal please. pay via google at [email protected]". But it isn't. Someone else needs to make another peer to peer payment service. Anyone?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will probably get settled since it is a class action as most of not all do. The damages could be enormous if Malone wins. Interesting to se what changes it will bring to ebay. Personally i like paypal.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Ebay is a business and they can do what they want.

That's funny... I thought businesses were supposed to abide by the law - such as those opposing monopolies and certain practices associated with them - just like the rest of us do.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I already hate paypal as a buyer, but I hate antitrust laws even more. If you want to use other payment services, then don't use ebay.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The reason I posted this is that I can't see how ebay's shutting down of auctions that even mention another payment method could be considered anything but anti-competitive behavior, which violates the spirit, if not the actual letter, of the Anti-trust acts we have in this country. Personally, I think ebay is setting themselves up for a major mutiny and crash as soon as a smart competitor comes along.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Without knowing anything more about the complaint, my guess is he's using a theory similar to the government's in the MicroSoft case -- that somehow Ebay is unfairly bundling/promoting Paypal and Ebay to the detriment of other payment services.

If you sell an item on Ebay, you'll see that this claim actually has some merit. A seller has the option of clicking Paypal as a payment option, but there ostensibly is no such option for an alternative online payment service (such as Google Checkout). Instead, you have to manually list that fact, and there will be no direct checkout link for the buyer (an annoyance that will tend to deter some potential buyers from bidding on your auction). Furthermore, buyers can search for items from sellers that accept Paypal. Thus, there is an artificially created economic disincentive for a seller to not use Paypal.

While I don't know whether this is a winning case, it certainly isn't meritless. It will almost certainly settle, but society would be much better off having cases like this go to trial.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The reason I posted this is that I can't see how ebay's shutting down of auctions that even mention another payment method could be considered anything but anti-competitive behavior, which violates the spirit, if not the actual letter, of the Anti-trust acts we have in this country. Personally, I think ebay is setting themselves up for a major mutiny and crash as soon as a smart competitor comes along.

Like I mentioned before, with Google setting up Google Checkout, I'm sure they're setting up plans for an auction website as well at some point in the future. Competition is good.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I already hate paypal as a buyer, but I hate antitrust laws even more. If you want to use other payment services, then don't use ebay.

To pile on... PayPal definitely sucks. Their fees for sellers are confiscatory. I'm about to stop using it in my eBay auctions and just go with money orders or cashier's checks. It'll slow things down, but I'll pick back up the 2-4% of my sales price. (And I'll stick it to the man
devil.gif
).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads