• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antitrust Lawsuit Filed against eBay over PayPal, Payments Policies

fredrik80

Reaction score
The problem with paypal is not the fees but the complete lack of seller protection if you are an international seller.
Accepting paypal as an international seller is practically saying "steal from me" , if someone files a chargeback or buyer complaint you are out of your money every time, no exceptions

I had a buyer file a chargeback on me THREE MONTHS after he received the item, and claimed to his creditcard company he never received the item. I had sent it trackable courier with delivery signature (viewable online), paypal didnt care and put me -$699 asap. I'm never going to pay paypal that money and they've sent it to some lowlife collection agency called NCO that have sent me a card saying "Mr Brown is calling on Monday, be sure to answer"

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The reason I posted this is that I can't see how ebay's shutting down of auctions that even mention another payment method could be considered anything but anti-competitive behavior, which violates the spirit, if not the actual letter, of the Anti-trust acts we have in this country. Personally, I think ebay is setting themselves up for a major mutiny and crash as soon as a smart competitor comes along.

Yes, all it takes is a good competitor. but there is none.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas

While I don't know whether this is a winning case, it certainly isn't meritless. It will almost certainly settle, but society would be much better off having cases like this go to trial.

Actually, antitrust cases are much less likely to settle than other forms, since it is extremely hard to win one.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredrik80
The problem with paypal is not the fees but the complete lack of seller protection if you are an international seller.
Accepting paypal as an international seller is practically saying "steal from me" , if someone files a chargeback or buyer complaint you are out of your money every time, no exceptions

I had a buyer file a chargeback on me THREE MONTHS after he received the item, and claimed to his creditcard company he never received the item. I had sent it trackable courier with delivery signature (viewable online), paypal didnt care and put me -$699 asap. I'm never going to pay paypal that money and they've sent it to some lowlife collection agency called NCO that have sent me a card saying "Mr Brown is calling on Monday, be sure to answer"

smile.gif
Very sorry to hear about your situation. I didn't know international sellers can have that much trouble with the service. I have heard horror stories about fraudulent buyers swindling people out of their money with PayPal's helping hands but nothing to that extreme.

PayPal fees I can live with, but not so much about the risk of losing disputes. Guess I'll need to review my auctions' payment policies.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I smell settlement. Everyone get ready for a check for $3.80 each.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

haha yeah. well $3.80 in your paypal account. If you need a check there is a $2.50 check fee.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Actually, antitrust cases are much less likely to settle than other forms, since it is extremely hard to win one.

I'm not primarily an antitrust lawyer, but I don't think this is correct. Cases that are relatively likely to win are, all things being equal, more likely to settle. When cases are very difficult for a plaintiff to win, there is less incentive for the defendant to settle and less reason for the plaintiffs to pursue them aggressively. But such generalizations are only marginally helpful, because every case has its own characteristics.

Neo1824

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me on a international sale.

Sold to a ebay user in good standing (no negative feedback), Paypal account holder (verified, confirmed, blah blah) and than about 2 weeks after I shipped the stuff out...bam...fraudulent card use. Someone highjacked this person's ebay and Paypal account and I'm - $1k immediately.

Than Paypal trots out this tiny statement buried in the small print about seller protection for international sales that I missed and I'm screwed.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Or a coupon for Sizzler.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The reason I posted this is that I can't see how ebay's shutting down of auctions that even mention another payment method could be considered anything but anti-competitive behavior, which violates the spirit, if not the actual letter, of the Anti-trust acts we have in this country.
J,

I'm not sure I agree on this one. ebay should be able to have some control of its marketplaces and with paypal it knows it can control the payment process quality even if there are issues. Consumers are also free to use other marketplaces like Craig's List and others.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
J, I'm not sure I agree on this one. ebay should be able to have some control of its marketplaces and with paypal it knows it can control the payment process quality even if there are issues. Consumers are also free to use other marketplaces like Craig's List and others.
1. That argument runs up against the question of whether Craig'slist et. al. represent equivalent or substitutable marketplaces. I'd say no, especially if you consider the regionalization of CL, the fact it's not an auction site, the lack of taxation, and the fact its buying/selling segments only represent a tiny proportion of its traffic: it's not really even a buying/selling site, at least not completely. Certainly, in terms of consumers and vendors, you could make an argument either way, but if you're looking to do what ebay is designed to do, get you the best price for an item, then CL is not equivalent. 2. I'm not sure what you mean by 'ebay should be able to have some control of its marketplaces.' You mean it should have control over its website? Sure. Control over pricing? Well, not if it's an auction house--that's just contradictory of its purpose. Control of methods of payment? Perhaps. EVERY online vendor controls methods of payments. The problem here is that ebay is controlling the method of payments between the vendor and the buyer, and turns a decent profit from doing so. Anti-competitive? Maybe. Seen from the point of view of Paypal using ebay, the practice is akin to Microsoft using Windows to exclude other sellers and encourage use of IExplorer--was this ever finally settled? But ebay can always argue that since it's the parent company, it should be free to regulate its business from the top down. The traditional bricks-and-mortar definitions probably put ebay out on top, but with internet businesses, the analogies can often be inverted, vivisected and totally deconstructed. 3. As far as settlement goes, as the recipient of several class-action awards, I'm going to bet less than $2 or an alternative such as a free paypal transaction under $100. My Verizon settlement got me a discounted rate on text messaging for up to 6 months. Are you kidding? We won, so now we've won the right to buy more from the losers?!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
3. As far as settlement goes, as the recipient of several class-action awards, I'm going to bet less than $2 or an alternative such as a free paypal transaction under $100. My Verizon settlement got me a discounted rate on text messaging for up to 6 months. Are you kidding? We won, so now we've won the right to buy more from the losers?!

You're missing the point. The plaintiffs' lawyers -- that is, "your" lawyers -- undoubtedly made beaucoup bucks. Kinda gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling that makes it all worthwhile, no?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You're missing the point. The plaintiffs' lawyers -- that is, "your" lawyers -- undoubtedly made beaucoup bucks. Kinda gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling that makes it all worthwhile, no?
Actually, I'm in law school, so I got the point, sensei: I threw out the settlement note and started reviewing my old Civil Procedure notes
smile.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
All these international horror stories have me scared.

I sold 2 shirts ($70) to a guy in South Korea and he paid through PayPal. I'm going to send with a tracking number/delivery confirmation.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy

Hard to win = true
Extremely cost for defendant to comply with discovery = equally true

The result is that a nuissance value settlement is lucrative enough for most plaintiff attorneys.

My guess is that the plaintiff did just enough on the complaint to make it by
12(b)(6).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads