1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

antiquing to match AE "chili" color?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Joel_Cairo, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

I recently came into some second-hand AE Byrons in the "chili" color, which I dig very much (despite their needing quite a bit of TLC). I especially like them with dark, unfaded straightlegged jeans, for a rakish casual look. Problem is, I have no belt in anything like the chili color to complete the look. I got the belt shown in the picture for $3 at the GAP, figuring it has potential to match, with the right color-altering. At the moment its a flat crayola shade, with absolutely none of the golden-orangey-brown of these Chilis. I've been reading up on antiquing in the FAQ, but I'd like to hit you guys up for advice on what particular shades of polish and such to use on this belt, in hopes of bringing some of the shoes' tones to it.
    thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i would consider not polishing the belt, and just find a belt similar/near the color of the shoes. it is totally acceptable to wear slightly different shades of brown in shoes and belt, just as long as the belt is not black and shoes brown or vice versa. this is my opinion.

antiquing shoes (to change color or darken) although if done correctly, involves heavier usage of cream/polish than just regular shoe maintenance/polishing.
    that being said, antiquing shoes, for me, has always been easy for the color to come off, on fingers, cuff of jeans, etc. if not being careful.

so thus antiquing a belt, although possible, has the ability to come off in color on your shirt, jeans, the holes where the belt is looped through, etc.
    it can be messy.

3. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

I think the shoes are the things that should be antiqued. They need a heavy dose of coloring anyhow. Try adding a dark tan or lt brown cream to the toe cap in modest amounts and see how that looks after polishing over the buffed dark cream with a lighter tan wax and than buff that out.

Perry

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Leave the belt alone and polish the shoes and with regular wear and polishing they will antique fust fine.

5. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

I think the shoes are the things that should be antiqued. They need a heavy dose of coloring anyhow. Try adding a dark tan or lt brown cream to the toe cap in modest amounts and see how that looks after polishing over the buffed dark cream with a lighter tan wax and than buff that out.

Perry

thanks Perry, and everyone else, for your input. Problem is, I really like the orangish patina of these rather worn shoes. Would using a dark cream alter the color significantly, or just make for a more even sheen?