• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Antiquing' on other types of clothing?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of 'antiquing' on other types of clothing?

For example, a favorite old dress shirt with fraying on the edges of the cuff and collar?

Or an old wool sweater with a few small holes in it? (which [barely] allow the showing through of the colorful dress shirt underneath)

A vintage suit with a little wear on the front of the pants and the elbows?

Dress shirts with a few chips in the MOP buttons.

And of course, jeans with tons of wear, rips, and stains.

Definitely not for a real formal occasion, but I really like the way clothing such as this looks when worn in a more casual setting. Shows that you purchased high-quality clothing, but didn't treat it as a prescious item. Merely, you loved it so much and wore it all the time that it developed some wear patterns without falling apart completely.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Once I peed on a Emporio Armani suit and tried to sell it on EBAY...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Once I peed on a Emporio Armani suit and tried to sell it on EBAY...

LOL. Did you ask for extra $$ due to the rarity of the patterning?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worn in oxfords and chinos are great.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my "antiqued" oxford shirts. This past season, several designers were selling "distressed" polo shirts with frayed collars, etc. This faux antiquing gagged me (I wonder why it doesn't bother me on shoes?).

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the concept of patina, I generally stop short of stains and holes in regards to clothing. That said, I do have some stained and battered furniture, although the abuse was inflicted generations ago.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
While I appreciate the concept of patina, I generally stop short of stains and holes in regards to clothing. That said, I do have some stained and battered furniture, although the abuse was inflicted generations ago.

Not so much stains - that's another issue altogether. Rather, lovingly worn and faded areas on your favorite articles of clothing.

batorizer

Reaction score
i've got a lamb skin coat that i sport. I love it when it starts to get cool so i can break it out. I've had it since i was 17, i think. so 6 years. It has some nice wear on it. theres a spot on the left arm that got some battery acid on it when i had to carry my car battery a 1/4 mile to walmart for a new one. it made it kind of blotchy AND even more unique to me!

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe on leather jackets, marine-wear (like white tee with once dark blue vertical stripes now light-purple): everything else pretty much screams "poor care" of oneself.

!luc

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some of the boss stuff that's now in stores is antiqued, frayed collars and all! What will they think of next?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics