• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antiques - why?

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Thus growing up in a split level ranch in a suburb would make you desire everything Ikea for the rest of your life.

Wow..

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Anyone care to speculate what style is this and who is possibly the designer?

Looks very constructivist to me (almost F. Leger like). I am not a fan of ornate pieces ,but this one strikes a chord.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020

Looks like a *************.

Also, Atomic Ranch might be something you'd take a look at to challenge your preconceptions about ranch houses.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any works or furniture that would qualify as antique.
I love them when in good condition, but cost is usually prohibitive.
I don't have a problem with eclecticism or historical revivals in a stylistic sense- that an artist or designer is inspired by the past seems to be unavoidable.

Lately I've been drawn to some early American furniture that has
some traces of Empire. I like them aesthetically and I also think it would be interesting to see a contemporary version.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I don't own any works or furniture that would qualify as antique.
I love them when in good condition, but cost is usually prohibitive.
I don't have a problem with eclecticism or historical revivals in a stylistic sense- that an artist or designer is inspired by the past seems to be unavoidable.

Lately I've been drawn to some early American furniture that has
some traces of Empire. I like them aesthetically and I also think it would be interesting to see a contemporary version.

Amish furniture.

Biscione

Reaction score
I have some furniture from the 17th century.

I love great antiques, and mix them with more modern things (especially lamps).

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate functional antiques as in chairs, tables, desks, etc and typically those from mid-century with clean lines.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Louis XIV, RÃ
00a9.png
gence, and Louis XV my favourites.

Louis XIV
I love the formality of Louis XIV furniture ...it is so regal and grand.
2rdu72b.jpg

2ihkyzc.jpg

2eec10w.jpg

00a9.png
gence

2w57nuq.jpg

Louis XV
2d7ilqc.jpg

2iu8f47.jpg

I also like a lot of fine English furniture, these GEORGE III chairs are absolutely exquisite.
16basfs.jpg

turboman808

Reaction score
I collect alot of antique furniture. I am not expert so sometimes I cannot tell the difference between Louis XVI and Rococo. I have a antique bombe chest in every room in my apt. Really like those. I also went thru a period of collecting asian antique furniture(although I think some may be knockoffs). I have a bit of everything and it blends well together. Hell my dining room furniture is 1940 art deco. It's has a nice veneer finish that makes it work.

I also really like that if I decide to sell something I can get my money back. Never lost money on antique furniture. But I will also make sure I am getting the best bargain possible.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
2iu8f47.jpg

Hypersonic; any information about this? I'm researching one with quite similar inlaidwork:
69140-3det1.jpg
Originally Posted by turboman808
I collect alot of antique furniture. I am not expert so sometimes I cannot tell the difference between Louis XVI and Rococo. I have a antique bombe chest in every room in my apt. Really like those. I also went thru a period of collecting asian antique furniture(although I think some may be knockoffs). I have a bit of everything and it blends well together. Hell my dining room furniture is 1940 art deco. It's has a nice veneer finish that makes it work. I also really like that if I decide to sell something I can get my money back. Never lost money on antique furniture. But I will also make sure I am getting the best bargain possible.
useless.gif
- particularly the art deco dining room. Where do you buy your stuff? Auctions, dealers?

hypersonic

Reaction score
Hello LS, I don't have much info ...but I can tell you that it was sold at Christie's, New York, in 2005 for $192,000. It was described as "a Louis XV citronnier, tulipwood, amaranth, sycamore and marquetry bureau de dame, mid-Eighteenth Century".

I hope this is helpful in some way.

...You might be able to purchase a catalogue from Christie's if they still have a copy
fing02[1].gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope this is helpful in some way. ...You might be able to purchase a catalogue from Christie's if they still have a copy
fing02[1].gif

It is, and I will, if they do. Thanks!

bluemax

Reaction score
I can appreciate the aesthetic of antiques, but I wouldn't want to have to look at them every day. The designs are just too busy, too much going on, ugh... Modern and minimalist for me all the way.

hypersonic

Reaction score

I also like a lot of fine English furniture, these GEORGE III chairs are absolutely exquisite.
16basfs.jpg

Those are originals designed by the great 18th century Scottish designer Robert Adam.

I saw these recent copies by Dominic Gerard, upholstered in Versace fabric -- how utterly dreadful!
5uh7v8.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads