• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antiqueing suggestions for this pair?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're two-year-old Antonio Maurizis - I'm just not entirely happy with the colour and the "antiqueing" or rather discolouring they've acquired. Grateful for any tips on methods and colours, creams, waxes, acetone, chlorine and other chemicals.
F1010022.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if it was me i would mix 1 pt black 2 pt red abd 3 pt brown and then do the process and build the color up over a month or so - so the shoes develop a nice rice glaze!!!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - that sounds much like the colouration I'm thinking of. I take it you'd use wax, rather than cream, then? Here's another photo, slightly better quality, I hope:
F1000016.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd leave them alone, though I'd choose different laces.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a little of all both wax and cream - you could also swop the red for green!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, all - I suppose I'll just try to make some concoction of mostly clear wax polish, with just a tiny bit of brown and red mixed in. Tomasso - what laces would you use?
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I rather like the character they have aquired and the color as well. I own a pair of AM also, how is the qualty holding up two years later?
I'm not overly impressed with the quality, as I haven't worn them much at all, really. On the other hand, I haven't been very good at taking care of them. The "sock" (isn't that what the bit of thin leather glued onto the back half of the insole is called?) is slowly coming loose, but otherwise, they're all in one (well, two) pieces. My issue is with the colour, which I find to be too light. Hope this isn't too fragmented - I'm halfway down into a bottle of wine. Cheers

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike

Tomasso - what laces would you use?

I would choose a flat lace, something a bit closer to but not quite matching the shoe's color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads