• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antiperspirant

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My armpits sweat profusely. Does anyone else have this problem? If so can you recommend a strong antiperspitant?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use good old classic Old Spice. It ain't fancy, but it seems to work reasonably well for me.

What i'd really like to know is, is there such thing as an antiperspirant that doesn't use aluminum compounds as the active ingredient?

Andrew V.

Reaction score
You could try Certain-Dri. For some reason you apply it at night rather than in the morning.

whitsang

Reaction score
I also use Certain Dri, as Andrew V mentioned. You use this a couple times a week instead of a daily antip/deodorant. It definitely works, may sting the first few times you try it, but worth it.

Style guy

Reaction score
Hi scnupe7. I just recently got Gillette Power Caps anitperspirant ( Frost) and I love it, it works great, it can be a litle messy if you use to much, but if you are carefull it should be OK.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
What i'd really like to know is, is there such thing as an antiperspirant that doesn't use aluminum compounds as the active ingredient?
The products made by both Weleda and Tom's of Maine do not contain aluminum compounds. I use the latter, but I've heard lots of good comments about the former.

anorak

Reaction score
I use certain dri. If I use it regularly it causes burning, itching, and redness. Since it has turned cold I have not been using it but will probably start up again in the spring.

I am still thinking of going ahead with the botox injections to stop the sweating if the irritation gets bad from the certain dri. I am going to ask one of my dr. friends about side effects of the injections and how often they need to be done. From what I understand they inject the botox into the muscle and it stops the sweating.

Etruscan

Reaction score
For the last 25 years I've had excellent results from Mitchum roll-on (though not the other varieties for some reason). Good luck.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(montecristo#4 @ 01 Jan. 2005, 11:26) What i'd really like to know is, is there such thing as an antiperspirant that doesn't use aluminum compounds as the active ingredient?
The products made by both Weleda and Tom's of Maine do not contain aluminum compounds. I use the latter, but I've heard lots of good comments about the former.
Unfortunately, those are deoderants -- not antiperspirants. Deoderants have no active ingredient to prevent perspiration.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
Unfortunately, those are deoderants -- not antiperspirants. Deoderants have no active ingredient to prevent perspiration.
Yes... I know the difference; I wasn't aware that Tom's of Maine had discontinued their anti-perspirant. Oh well, so much for that suggestion.
blush.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, and I use two products to treat it.  If it's a stress free day or I'm going for a workout Kiehl's "Superbly Efficient Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant Cream" works well (and doesn't have a strong smell). If I'm running around a lot/it's hot out/or I have a big presentation to do Drysol works wonders.  You don't need a prescription for it, but its only avalible behind a pharmist's counter. I believe it is similar in effect to Certain-Dri in that it totally blocks the sweat glands in the applied area with Aluminum chloride. As mentioned before you have to apply it the night before. It works amazingly well, but I don't like using it that often because it has so much aluminum in it.  Plus your body still needs to sweat so it compensates by sweating through your back and chest (which is a weird feeling unto itself).  Anyways, hope this helps.

Aaron

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads