• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antica Camiceria Luciano Lombardi - Napoli - Bespoke Shirt

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few months ago, on a quest for my new favourite shirthmaker, I commissioned several shirts from different makers. For a series of events, I have only just received this shirt and decided to review it.

After making an appointment I turned up to meet Luciano Lombardi in person at his large workshop/office in an industrial complex in the south east part of town. Although I brought my own Carlo Riva Lenght of shirting, I checked what they had in stock there, and I believe they have visrtually every possible books available as well as many bolts of cloth.

Mr Lombardi in Person took my measurements and together we discussed the collar option and shirts other details, including the choice of hand finishes (he noted that nowadays many opt for a full machine made shirt to save the extra charges for hand embroidery).

Few months later, when I finally managed to make it back there, a Muslin shirt was waiting for fitting. They cut a model shirt for fitting out of actual shirting fabric they have in stock, most probably old patterns that could not be sold today, that also include a muslin collar made of the exact shape of the final version. The patterns was slightly adjusted and finalised, and it will then be stored for future reference. The shirt the went into production and was ready approximatelly 3 weeks later.

The cut is slightly looser comfy that my other shirt but overall very nice and definetelly well made:

The fit:

The folded shirt:

The Carlo Riva Fabric:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
great fabric! one day id love to make at trip over for this experience.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much hand work did you get? How is your quest going - who is your favourite so far?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received the above two shirts which I ordered before the summer. The one on the left is made of Carlo Riva's Linen/cotton blend and the one on the right of UW Irish Linen.

etkl

Reaction score

Code:
The usual 8. I ended my quest a while ago, but this shirt had been ordered before I settled for my current shirtmaker.
Who is your current shirtmaker? Have you ever tried Anna M?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who is your current shirtmaker? Have you ever tried Anna M?

The post you are referring to was from April 2012. I have been using a shirtmaker for over two years but had to switch for some issues. I considered Lombardi as good from day one, but had longer lead times. I can now live with that and I will be ordering mainly from him.

Never interested in AM, as I do not like the way her shirts fits on most customer, and some other reasons I mentioned in related posts.

Mactire,

I will try to keep you updated

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, since the buttonholes look so nice - could you take some more detailed pics of the rest of the handwork? Grazie!

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, since the buttonholes look so nice - could you take some more detailed pics of the rest of the handwork? Grazie!
I have to do it with a proper camera as I do not like as close in comes out with the iPhone. But I can assure you that the finishing is second to no one.

etkl

Reaction score

The post you are referring to was from April 2012. I have been using a shirtmaker for over two years but had to switch for some issues. I considered Lombardi as good from day one, but had longer lead times. I can now live with that and I will be ordering mainly from him.

Never interested in AM, as I do not like the way her shirts fits on most customer, and some other reasons I mentioned in related posts.

Mactire,

I will try to keep you updated

Thanks

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here as some of the close up pictures.
Invisible hand felling and yoke double stitch

Travetto and single convertible cuff with hidden button on extended thread

Horizontal last buttonhole

The next two are some close up of their machine stitching, the best I have seen amongst many Neapolitan makers. Lombardi must have very good machine operators as I find their machine work as neat and clean as Charvet, which are probably the best machine built shirts in the world

Tail/front panel curved hem reinforced with same cloth triangle

finally, the best Initials embroidery amongst all my shirts

mactire

Reaction score
Gorgeous work & beautiful shirts Marco, you're a lucky man!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics