• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anti-persp/ deodorant without aluminum?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was reading in Steve's book (good so far..) that using an antipersp-deo without aluminum helps to avoid stains in the pits of undershirts. does anyone know of any?? both the Mitchum and gilette i have both contain it.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
You know, I was coming here this morning to post this exact question. Anyway, I'm using Avalon now, which is Alum. free, but I HATE it. It smells like mint, and rolls on as a liquid and wears off by lunch...

I've also used Toms, and I can't help but say that it is good, but not great as far as deod. goes... it doesn't help ant-persp. at all because it has no aluminum.

Was just on the "Body Rock" site, perhaps I'll try that...

marc39

Reaction score
The very best product I have come across, which I've been using the past several years (I just placed an order yesterday for a year's supply) is "Lavilin" (do a Google search for places to buy; Life Extension Foundation offers discounts). Lavilin is a cream which you apply *very sparingly* overnight and wash off the next morning, and it completely and totally eliminates under arm odor for up to one week. It's amazing stuff. My sweatshirts which I wear to the gym, for example, do not smell at all due to my use of Lavilin. What it does is kill the bacteria that deodorants can only cover up, thus you perspire (which you want to do; it's a normal bodily function) but without any odor. It also does not stain as you wash it off the morning after you apply it. No need for any other deodorants or anti-perspirants. Enthusiastically recommended.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Aluminium is an ingredient in anti-perspirant, not in deodorant. Personally, I use only deordorant, as it's the odor I'm worried about anyway, and if I'm going to sweat, anti-perspirant doesn't stop it anyway. I have no problems with stains.

Any deororant brand out there -- Right Guard, etc. -- contains no aluminium.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Mitchum ruined a couple of my white shirts, even wearing a t-shirt (which I don't like to do- of course I'm not particularly fond of white shirts either). I'm currently using Anthony's (deodorant I believe). I posted the same question a year or so back and someone recommended tea tree oil deodorant which I used for a while with great results. I think the web address was www.911HealthShop.com, or something like that.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i too have been using the anthony logistics for men deodorant and can't complain

thc

Reaction score
There are lots. Just go to any health food store and you'll see plenty of non-aluminum deodorants. As mentioned by others, many of the higher end skincare lines have aluminum free products too. The one that I use is by D.R. Harris from the UK. It works well.

Tea Tree Solutions is also another good brand and you'll find it in health food stores.

Reaction score
Hello gents!

Pardon the McFly-esque bump, but I am curious about DEODORANT CRYSTALS. I haven't used any deodorant for about 15 years as I do not sweat much. But the DEODORANT CRYSTAL appeals to me more than the alternatives. Just curious to hear some reviews before I drop $9 on a rock.

If nothing else, does it work?

Thank you sirs.

- O

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm... from this witch i new in VA, the crystals are really good. she used them all the time in her hairy armpits and never smelled like a dirty hippie.

i havent used deodarant in a while either, tho i sweat like.... i dont know, i sweat alot... gallons. dont stink tho unless i dont bathe for days. i guess since i sweat alot its not too concentrated.

fastrunningmom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Hello gents!

Pardon the McFly-esque bump, but I am curious about DEODORANT CRYSTALS. I haven't used any deodorant for about 15 years as I do not sweat much. But the DEODORANT CRYSTAL appeals to me more than the alternatives. Just curious to hear some reviews before I drop $9 on a rock.

If nothing else, does it work?

Thank you sirs.

- O

Well, I'm not a sir, but my husband and I have both been using the crystal deodorant for years now and both really like it. It is an extremely effective deodorant, but not an antiperspirant. We find it effective, easy to use and you can still board a plane with it.

The brand we use does not cost $9 either. Here it is on drugstore.com for $5.99, but you can get it at most local drugstores. . .

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...I-0-EVGR-49973

Good luck!

sybaritical

Reaction score
Crystals are good. I picked one up a while back to travel with.

If crystals are what you're looking for, Tom's of Maine, Avalon and Jason all make aluminium free deodorants to namebut a few. pick them all up at your nearest health food store.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use any, hence no stain anymore. A spray of Lolita Lempika in the morning is enough.

!luc

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i think i posted my $0.02 before, but here goes:

i've never used deodorants or antiperspirants my whole life, because i don't really sweat as much. but what i do regularly is use a gentle antiseptic wash like betadine or dettol on my underarms to kill any bacteria cooties that can cause odors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads