• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Tomassini's 10 Best Composers list

speedy4500

Reaction score
The inclusion of Bartok in a top 20 list would be offensive, let alone a top 10 that also omits Tchaikovsky.

My personal preference would include Rachmaninoff in there as well, probably in place of Wagner. Though I'm not a big fan of Bach, Brahms, or Mozart, they were so tremendously influential that you can't leave them out.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bartok certainly does belong on the list....as far as 20th century concerti and symphonic rep. is concerned he was King.
Same case could be made for Prokofiev or Schostikovich (both whom I vastly prefer over Schubert).
However, I do feel Bartok was far more innovative and did more for both the further development of the symphonic forms, and certainly moved the bar upward for both the Piano and Violin solo rep.
From a technical level no one can approach what he did for these areas in the 20th century (Eugene Ysaye did some amazing writing, but nothing like the solo sonota for violin).

Mahler...come on.

I also would rank
1. J.S. Bach
2. Beethoven
3. Brahms

that should be the to three order.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How I neglected to mention Tchaikovsky is a mystery, since I listen to him nearly as much as Beethoven.

Brahms really gives me fits: I love his concertos, but hate his symphonies, which surprises me a bit.

And I would put Beethoven at the top of my list, largely for the emotional qualities of his symphonies and the late piano sonatas. Bach is too cerebral for me to really pay attention to, but I suspect part of this stems from how little I know of musical theory.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I also would rank
1. J.S. Bach
2. Beethoven
3. Brahms

Reminds me of the Stravinsky quote where he said that he listened to the three Bs... Bach, Beethoven, and James Brown.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cripes, I was hoping we were done being subjected to these ludicrous "Top Ten" lists with the passing of the millennium.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ Ah, but we're now a decade into the new millennium.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*sigh*; I'll give it a shot, but will separate into two different lists. When I hear "best", in terms of composers, I think of it in the total and comprehensive mastery in all genres (vocal (lieder/opera), symphonic/large ensemble, keyboard, and chamber music). The other list is just my personal favourites at the moment
smile.gif

Here goes:

1. Mozart
2. Bach
3. Beethoven
4. Haydn
5. Schubert
6. Schumann
7. Brahms
8. Debussy
9. Liszt
10. Bartok/Stravinsky

Chopin, Scriabin, Schumann, Schubert, Bach, Bortkiewicz, Liszt, Faure, Scarlatti, Tchaikovsky

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize Tomassini could self-faceplam so hard.

--Andre

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My definitive list. Yes, definitive.

Mozart.

Da rest.

Honorable mentions to suck his kneecaps.

Beethoven
Brahms
Bruckner
Debussy

And that money-loving, re orchestrating for money, Beverly Hills-living, mo fo, Igor S.

As for Gustav M. He sux (cept for 9 and Das L)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
4. Haydn

Good call.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
And that money-loving, re orchestrating for money, Beverly Hills-living, mo fo, Igor S.

Schoenberg lived in Brentwood. They played tennis together.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The concentration of important 20th century artists in LA was pretty amazing. But we all know LA has no culture.
rolleyes.gif

--Andre

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
As for Gustav M. He sux (cept for 9 and Das L)
ffffuuuu.gif
I can't imagine living without Mahler 1, 2 and 5.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The concentration of important 20th century artists in LA was pretty amazing. But we all know LA has no culture.
rolleyes.gif

--Andre

210px-WalterBruno.jpg

He died in his BH home.

Gutman

Reaction score
Oh dear. Bach is the musician's composer. Wonderful, but not actually that good a "composer". Opaque, impenetrable, unecessarily difficult to execute (for little corresponding gain), and not that effective on the concert platform. I love listening to and playing Bach though. I guess a lot of musos have more personal affection for Bach than any other.

I don't see how Handel can be overlooked in place of the some the relative 19th century mediocrities he rates. Handel was the first composer whose works have a continuous performance tradition (outside of church music). It's easy to be blinded by some of his popular works, but listen to him more carefully and i think you see what a genius he was (eg, the 12 Concerto Grosso, Opus 6). I can see why Beethoven liked him. Handel had a sure hand in musical exposition, musical economy, and was a *supreme communicator*. I struggle to think of more than a couple of other composers who could match him. Although it's a common example, I also struggle to think of any setting of text to music the equal of Messiah.

For various reasons, I would give Beethoven No1 slot, although I think he is advantaged in living through the "best" period for classical music.

As a matter of interest, I can see Montiverdi is historically very important, but surely Purcell is musically better?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads