• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Bourdain was in my 'hood!

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourdain gets props for hipping me to the best place in Hong Kong for barbecued suckling pig (that's Dragon on Gage St. btw, $30 HKD for a nice large plate of suckling pig w/ white rice). Also shout outs to a fellow smoker.

arsenik509

Reaction score
I think the main reason they do the random segments of him doing **** like flying around in MiGs is because it's on the TRAVEL channel. So they have to show you **** you can do besides eat. A Cook's Tour was on the Food Network so they wanted more food related things, with some travel thrown in.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Wonder how threads about Jamie Oliver, Ming Tsai, Bobby Flay, Emmeril and the rest would go.
I never got into Jamie Oliver.......so I can't really comment. Emeril built the food network, so he's gotta get some props. He also cooked at Commander's Palace, which is no small thing.....so he's moved on from day to day chef into some type of celebrity....and he has some annoying and overused catch phrases, but he's done a lot more good than bad for food in america. Bobby Flay is kind of an asshole.....his food is good, but not spectacular....but he has a good on-air personality. He's perfect for shows like "Throwdown" where he can capitalize on his attitude. I miss Jack McDavid. Ming....sweetheart in person. Very friendly, makes good food. I've not eaten at his restaurant, but I've had a dish or two he prepared and they were enjoyable. His travel show and pbs show were MUCH better than his East Meets West. I also LOVED "cooking under fire" which was far far superior to Top Chef, if for no other reason than it featured Michael Ruhlmann. My current favorite on-air personality is probably still Alton Brown, even if he is part of that atrocious Iron Chef America. I like his delivery, topics, and frequent use of Shirley O'corrier. I miss David Rosengarten.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
My current favorite on-air personality is probably still Alton Brown, even if he is part of that atrocious Iron Chef America. I like his delivery, topics, and frequent use of Shirley O'corrier.
Alton Brown - I don't understand why he gets lots of love from everyone. Does anyone else find him annoying? He ruined food tv for me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current favorite on-air personality is probably still Alton Brown, even if he is part of that atrocious Iron Chef America. I like his delivery, topics, and frequent use of Shirley O'corrier.

Originally Posted by robin
Alton Brown - I don't understand why he gets lots of love from everyone. Does anyone else find him annoying? He ruined food tv for me.

I used to like Alton Brown when he first started out. But man, he's become such a geek. Where is the artistry in cooking if everything is measured to the most minutiae and the presentation is more like a science experiment?

He's a good guy, but enough of the geekiness already!

(Props to the fact that he films near Hotlanta, where I used to roam as an undergrad.)

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Where is the artistry in cooking if everything is measured to the most minutiae and the presentation is more like a science experiment?
Which is why I enjoy watching chefs like Jamie Oliver. He has the "******* - I'll do what I want and if you don't like it, tough" mentality on tv.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that's more entertaining, and closer to my style, but it helps to understand the science experiment aspect first, before you go off on your own just mixing random ingredients and cooking techniques.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was in my hood the weekend before last at a food and wine fest. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. He hung out with our group for a bit at a few of the events as we were running with some extra women (models) and he appears to be quite the hound. While most all the celebrity chefs in attendance came sniffing around our group at one time or another it was Rocco DiSpirito who carried the scent of desperation.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of TV chefs...
giadapink.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Speaking of TV chefs who are trophy wife material...
giadapink.jpg

Corrected... And I'll raise you a:
00008f.jpg

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I miss David Rosengarten.

I didn't think anyone else liked him, he was my favorite in the early days of the Food Channel.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Speaking of TV chefs...
giadapink.jpg

I cannot give Giada the nod. Her head is far, far, far too large for her body. She then tends to wear her hair to further emphasize she has the build of a bobble-head. I'm not saying I wouldn't hit it, but marry it? No way.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Her voice makes me want to vomit....but if her mouth were busy, I could probably tolerate her....she does have a big head, but I'm sure it looks good from above
cheers.gif

hi-val

Reaction score
Graham Kerr in the lets-drink-wine days and not the get-right-with-God days was pretty good too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads