• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Bourdain on NPR

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
I know we have quite a few Bourdain fans around here, myself included so just thought i'd share...

Heard this interview with him on NPR earlier about his new book. It was pretty good, he always comes off as a guy that would be cool to hang out with.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127884011

GanglandDandy

Reaction score
I saw that episode where he returned to Brasserie Les Halles. Dude really had a hard time going through 1 shift after all those years.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He talked about that eps in the radio show.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
i saw him speak in lowell on his speaking tour last winter. huge fan of his work and have read a few of his books. really cool guy and his show was awesome. about 30 minutes was devoted to ******** on sandra lee and other food network bozos.

CMJTperry

Reaction score
I think he's an ass. Way to much thought and work into coming of as cool. Not sure why him ******** on others makes him better then anyone else either.

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMJTperry
I think he's an ass. Way to much thought and work into coming of as cool. Not sure why him ******** on others makes him better then anyone else either.

Weird. You just did exactly what you say he does.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In his new book he uses the first chapter to nearly-but-not-quite apologize to all of the chefs/tv personalities that he criticized in the past.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^he indeed seems a bit self-absorbed and bitter, but much less so than all the other ambitious artist-types out there that became successful... i still think he's a relatively sincere guy and his show is one of the few quasi-thoughtful ones on cable.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know him a little bit (full disclosure: he blurbed my last book). he is a very good guy to hang out with and is much more nuanced than he comes across in print. i find his new book fairly exasperating. there is some really thoughtful, very, very good stuff. and then there's stuff that's just schtick. he's like the smartest guy in the class who thinks he always has to be acting out because that's what the other kids like. his chapter on alice waters is about as perfect an explanation as i've ever read of why even people who agree with her goals sometimes have problems with her absolute-ness ... that's a very difficult thing to get across and he does it really well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
^he indeed seems a bit self-absorbed and bitter

it's what people want to hear and he knows it. People have established him as a credible source for flogging celebrity chefs and they will pay to hear more.

he has, however, admitted that people like Rachel Ray are good people if they are able to get people back in the kitchen and cooking again.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His early presenting style was too mannered, but once he relaxed and became more natural he was great. My fave food presenter now.

Couple of friends who were absolute monsters (their lives consisted of getting heart surgeons wasted on freebie holidays, starred restaurants etc.) took Bourdain out on the town in Manchester after a book signing many years ago.

They said he held up quite well...
smile.gif

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Bourdain okay and watch his show via Netflix when I'm bored. He's entertaining enough. But he eventually gets on my nerves for a few reasons:

He helped popularize the notion that chefs are badasses. I really hate this b.s. Since I love good food, I appreciate and respect the skill that chefs have. But I don't think they're tough or warriors or whatever. They're people who cook food for other people for a living.

He loves his hip/outsider image, but he's only cynical in a textbook way. If you watch his show with any regularity, you start to see how eager he is to cling to the most banal narratives. "Oh my god, how does San Francisco have great meat when it's full of vegetarians and hippies! What a crazy paradox!" Meh.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
He helped popularize the notion that chefs are badasses. I really hate this b.s. Since I love good food, I appreciate and respect the skill that chefs have. But I don't think they're tough or warrior or whatever. They're people who cook food for other people for a living.
i agree, up to a point. what's important is that that's how many people who work in kitchens see themselves. it's not something he invented, but something he latched on to. there is a significant backlash, including from America's Most Famous Chef, who runs kitchens with a very different vibe. a big part of tony's psyche is pissing off his parents (read: shocking the bourgeoisie).

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
He helped popularize the notion that chefs are badasses.
Huh? Most Chefs are thought of as ****. Only people who find being a cook/chef being cool for the most part are women. I don't know why... but many people perceive being a cook or chef as being sissy jobs. Far from it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads