• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another which car thread - RS4 vs M3

Mr.Sly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think you would need to be an expert driver to ever accomplish this type of test well, and in most cases, the average driver would never be able to get the maximum out of any of these cars, so saying the RS4 is faster than the M3 is a little speculative. http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fa...cess=ShowTable RS4 0 - 60 = 4.6 seconds BMW M3 0 - 60 mph = 4.4 seconds As I said, with those times, the average guy will never notice one being faster than the other. The RS4 cabrio is even worse, 4.8 seconds IIRC.
I spend most of my summer weekends at the dragway. The AWD of the RS4 help a lot for 'street racing'. 1/8 mile race RS4 Kill the M3 like HELL. Quarter Mile race it's close but the RS4 was always faster and i talk about stock street cars. And By The way, I'm not talking only about the 2 same cars, i see a lot of M3 and RS4 and it's always the same story. No professional drivers on a road race track. Drag racing only .

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianja
I agree... it really is too close to notice a difference with 90% of drivers. The RS, however, will let an average driver push it further before it snaps at you. It's just easier to drive quickly. Some may see it is a negative and say that makes the drive a bit boring, but I disagree.

I was half joking about not wanting to slow down in foul weather, but you are still missing my point to a degree. It's not just straight line highway speed where quattro helps in the wet. It also helps maintain control in inclement weather on on and off ramps, curvy roads, etc..

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as you said, but saying the two cars are not even "in the same class" is laughable. This is especially true considering that one post earlier you commented on how the two are nearly identical in performance... to the degree that most couldn't tell a difference between them.

Actually no, I am not missing your point at all. I drove a 330xi for about 3 years, and the AWD didn't really matter a damn on straight aways. I am very well aware that the power of the AWD is in cornering, off ramps etc. If one is not a confident driver, and one wants to drive like a ******* bat out of hell on damp country roads, by all means, the RS4 will be for you.

Also, I didn't mean they were not in the same class from a performance perspective, since there's 2 seconds separating them in the quarter mile.. When I said not in the same class, I meant more than simply performance alone. Example:

Audi-RS4-01.jpg

rs4001.jpg

20070915051658_bmw_m3_coupe_uk_version_2008.jpg

2008_m3-thumb.jpg

hamann-bmw-m3-2.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Sly
I spend most of my summer weekends at the dragway.
The AWD of the RS4 help a lot for 'street racing'.
1/8 mile race RS4 Kill the M3 like HELL.
Quarter Mile race it's close but the RS4 was always faster and i talk about stock street cars.

And By The way, I'm not talking only about the 2 same cars, i see a lot of M3 and RS4 and it's always the same story.

No professional drivers on a road race track. Drag racing only .

Guess the stats I quoted in the link above were wrong then..
eh.gif

Anyway, the OP needs to drive each and decide for himself. I'd bet 75% of the people posting in this thread have never driven either..
laugh.gif

brianja

Reaction score
hamann-bmw-m3-2.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Thanks.

Styling is subjective and as such different things appeal to different people. I'll stick with the more understated Audi:

371210860_m8bKU-M.jpg

340803442_gwdxp-M-1.jpg

340795740_a3fQX-M.jpg

brianja

Reaction score
Anyway, the OP needs to drive each and decide for himself. I'd bet 75% of the people posting in this thread have never driven either..
laugh.gif

I couldn't agree with this more.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianja
340803442_gwdxp-M-1.jpg

All its missing here is the child seat in the back..
laugh.gif

Different strokes. The RS4 is a great car I am sure (never driven one myself), and probably better for the average driver than the M, given it will be a little more forgiving at high speeds.. This is a great review from Fifth Wheel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Millerp

Reaction score
I'm sure you know this, but the current Audi convertibles are soft "rag" tops.
The current BMW 3 series convertble including the M3 has a metal retracting roof.

Not sure if this has any bearing on your choice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Sly
I spend most of my summer weekends at the dragway.
The AWD of the RS4 help a lot for 'street racing'.
1/8 mile race RS4 Kill the M3 like HELL.
Quarter Mile race it's close but the RS4 was always faster and i talk about stock street cars.

And By The way, I'm not talking only about the 2 same cars, i see a lot of M3 and RS4 and it's always the same story.

No professional drivers on a road race track. Drag racing only .

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=46f388b437911

Ixelles

Reaction score
OP hasn't gone AWOL - it's taken 3 weeks (!) to arrange an M3 test drive, which will happen next week. Until then, I'm still on the fence...
confused.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well good luck. I really urge you to visit some of the links I have posted (not the one above, its strictly a speed/performance comparison), which contain spirited discussion by folks who have driven both vehicles. I have never driven an RS4, which is why I started out saying I am biased. I must say though, if you intend to drive this as a daily car, and deal with snow/ice/heavy rains, it would be disingenuous of me to try to argue the M3 is the better car for your purposes.

Drive both and give some serious thought to how you will be driving the car.

Good luck, pics when you pull the trigger!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gnatty,
how come you got the 4 dr?If I was getting an M3,it sure as hell would be a two door.I don't care if somebody wants to sit in the back,it would be my car only.
4.4 seconds is good,my crappy toyota XRS gives me 6 seconds but it is twice or maybe thrice as cheap as BMW.
One day I will be there
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
gnatty,
how come you got the 4 dr?If I was getting an M3,it sure as hell would be a two door.I don't care if somebody wants to sit in the back,it would be my car only.
4.4 seconds is good,my crappy toyota XRS gives me 6 seconds but it is twice or maybe thrice as cheap as BMW.
One day I will be there
smile.gif

All of my cars have been 4 doors. Personal preference, like showing cuff or not showing cuff I guess. It doesn't subtract from the performance.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you did not consider a Porsche? Or Audi TT RS?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood

Me or the OP? If me, I have always preferred BMW. No deeper than that. Porsche 911 are also substantially more than I normally spend on an automobile.

Have never been crazy about Audi, so would not normally consider one as an option.

Ixelles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood

And if me? I've been looking on the web at 911's. While I'd love one, I guess a couple of things are holding me back:

1. Due to the weak pound, I've been comparing European 911 prices (second hand) to the UK. Typical comparison: 2007 911 4S cabrio tiptronic, in the UK £48,000. In Europe that would be about EUR53,000 which might just get you a 2005 base model manual coupe with big mileage. Only thing is, a LHD 911 in the UK is almost impossible to find...

2. I have direct contact with my clients, who might think they're paying me too much if I turn up in something that recognisable.
smile.gif
To most people, an RS4 doesn't look too different from an A4.

I've driven a regular TT. Nice car, but I found it a bit claustrophobic. I know the rear seats in a cabrio are pretty useless, but that extra bit of space is nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads