• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another what should I wear thread

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Hey guys! A few months ago I was on here asking for suggestions about what I should wear to my girlfriend's sorority formal. Well there's another one coming up and I'm looking for advice on the matter again. Last time I wore my navy blue suit with a white shirt, black tie, black shoes, and a black belt. I was looking to wear my navy suit again this time but was wondering how a light blue shirt with a purple tie, brown shoes, and a brown belt might work for an event like this. Thanks again!

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Purple tries are tricky against anything other than a lilac/lavender shirt, and even then still. Purple can be garish and flashy unless a subdued shade, and in my opinion works better in small doses - as an accent in a tie, or in a shirt, and in less saturated forms (again, lilac/lavender). Plus, although I wear navy ties with lilac and lavender all the time, I've never thought that true purple and navy look good together - despite seeing this combination fairly often. It's just never looked right to me and I avoid it, opting to use true purples with mid-light grey in seasonally appropriate hues.

Light blue shirt opens up brown ties, dark green, burgundy (although burgundy is best against a pink shirt), and of course blue and navy ties. If navy, make sure it's darker in shade than the suit in order not to clash. If I'm not wearing a navy tie (which I am most of the time) and I'm wearing a light blue shirt, my first instinct is to reach for a nice solid chocolate brown. Navy suit + blue shirt + brown shoes and belt + brown tie = congruent, refined and pleasing to the eye. My $.02.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the dim lighting of an evening event, the subtle differences between blue and purple and navy and brown will be completely lost due to lack of contrast. At night, black shoes and belt is always the right answer. At night, a white shirt is always the right answer.

Your proposed outfit (brown shoes, blue shirt) would look great in the daytime when the sunlight makes the colour variations apparent.

Last edited:

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Very good points Veremund, didn't consider the context. I usually opt for burgundy shoes at night rather than black, but that's just me. White shirt is spot on.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really should be able to dress yourself - suggest that you get some ideas by looking around at others, see what you like etc.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole point of SF is to learn about style. Your incessant need to act like a prick is truly admirable. Carry on.

lsxscoob

Reaction score

In the dim lighting of an evening event, the subtle differences between blue and purple and navy and brown will be completely lost due to lack of contrast. At night, black shoes and belt is always the right answer. At night, a white shirt is always the right answer.

Your proposed outfit (brown shoes, blue shirt) would look great in the daytime when the sunlight makes the colour variations apparent.

Ok, white shirt it is. Should I just go with a navy tie darker than the suit? Thanks so much!

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Ok, white shirt it is. Should I just go with a navy tie darker than the suit? Thanks so much!
This is a look I love and is my go-to for formal events. White shirt, white square, navy tie darker than suit (usually solid in my case). Can't get much more sedate yet sophisticated, elegant and professional, in my opinion.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The whole point of SF is to learn about style. Your incessant need to act like a prick is truly admirable. Carry on.

BUT you can learn far more from looking at what works in the street, this web board cannot be a running tutorial for everyone who is not observant. However did people learn prior to the web, you will next tell me that standards have risen generally because of SF. Get real

All you learn here is the opinions of a few: For example there is a comment about purple in post2, I profoundly disagree. Purple can work well against p[ink shirts, blue shirts and others, I would consider it neither "Garish" nor "flashy". The OP needs to see that to form his own opinion.

Last edited:

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
All you learn here is the opinions of a few: For example there is a comment about purple in post2, I profoundly disagree. Purple can work well against p[ink shirts, blue shirts and others, I would consider it neither "Garish" nor "flashy". The OP needs to see that to form his own opinion.

I considered that it was the expression of a personal opinion somewhat obvious. To each his own. I believe I added "my two cents."

lsxscoob

Reaction score
This is what I had in mind for the blue/purple. Lighting in my house is terrible and I'm sure that it doesn't help my case. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is that lighting is terrible at night too. That's exactly why this low-contrast outfit is much better for day than night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads