(Another) What can I wear with these shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vista, Apr 16, 2005.

1. vista

vista Active Member

Hello, Inspired by Ambulance Chaser's thread, I was wondering what you'd recommend wearing with these shoes: http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp....olor=CO Best I can come up with is taupe dress trousers and a white shirt. [​IMG]

2. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Gray flannels and a blue blazer. Tan linen trousers and a blue blazer. Gray slacks and a tweed jacket.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just about anything you want. It's a fantastic pattern. I probably wouldn't wear them with suits unless they were casual suits, but I would wear them with jackets and odd trousers or even with jeans.

4. vista

vista Active Member

Hey john and jc, Thanks much. Do you think they're a little more formal than casual? There's a more casual, but similar pair on sale at A-E now: http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp....olor=CO I'm trying to find a casual look that I like. I'm not a designer t-shirt sort of guy, nor do I want to go with styles-of-the-moment like the striped shirt look, as per: http://www.thephatphree.com/feature....&Layout I don't want to look like 30 going on 15, either. Probably something in-between casual and formal casual, but that seems tough to get just right. I guess I'm starting at the bottom, with shoes. [​IMG]

5. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The first pair has a reverse 360 degree welt and a rubber sole. That, plus the fact that it's a split-toe blucher in a mid-brown color, tend to make it a relatively casual shoe. The second shoe is more casual because it has a chunkier rubber sole, a padded collar, and appears to be made from a waxy calfskin. I like the first shoe a whole lot more. It has a better pattern, and it's much more versatile than the second shoe.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Plenty of options. Cords, dress trousers, even denim. try brown cords with a plaid cream shirt. or khakis with a blue shirt. jeans with a polo style shirt. dress trouser, in some sort of houndstooth pattern, with a solid shirt. anything in earth tones, or flannel, or tweed should work well. It's a rather basic dress casual shoe. I have something similar from AE, although a little dressier (vibram half sole, instead of the VIP outsole, and different toe stitching, although the overall look is the same)

7. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

We actually sell the shoe, and men are wearing them with suits in the brown or olive styles in a bit more casual atmosphere, they are also ising the as a causl friday look, or with a sport coat...

8. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I like the first pair better, because I think there's a little more flexibility (and casual elegance) there. However, if you're looking for something to wear with chinos or jeans, the second pair will work.

9. vista

vista Active Member

Thanks all, Yeah, the first pair wouldn't seem quite right with jeans for me. The second would. But I'm trying to get away from jeans anyway. [​IMG]

10. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

Probably the most comfortable AE's I have....they can even go with chinos, but I opt for nicer pants and cords first....I have them in cordovan (merlot) and would get another in black......

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Funny you should ask. I happen to have my merlot pair of Ashtons on at this very moment. I also have them in chili. They are, as others have indicated, a very versatile shoe. At the moment, I am wearing them very casually with an open necked sports shirt and khakis. I would wear the Ashton with anything except a suit--sport coat and tie, sport coat and open-necked shirt and anything more casual. I agree that they are an extremely comfortable shoe.

12. vista

vista Active Member

"I happen to have my merlot pair of Ashtons on at this very moment."

Do they still make those? Maybe they're just not listed on the website.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Nope. They haven't been catalogued for some time. I got them on closeout for $129 about a year ago.

14. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

I have searched for months and have only seen one or two pair of AEs on sale: could you provide some tips about where or when I might try to find them?

I heard that Nordstroms has a bi-annual sale, but I was wondering how low these were discounted (I only see them at their regular, full price there)

Thanks.

15. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

got them on closeout for $129 about a year ago.
    I have searched for months and have only seen one or two pair of AEs on sale: could you provide some tips about where or when I might try to find them? I heard that Nordstroms has a bi-annual sale, but I was wondering how low these were discounted (I only see them at their regular, full price there) Thanks.
    sometimes 33% off, sometimes 40%, occasionally half-price. i've seen park avenues for about $190, and i once bought the dellwood for $149.