Another Singapore bespoke suit critique thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dbc, Mar 13, 2010.

1. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This is a fully canvased suit, 2x vent, 2x button.

No offense intended at all, but really? From Mohan's - the same guys who do 24hour suits at Far East Plaza?

Very surprised if it really is the case!

2. zoorado

zoorado Senior member

I always thought Mohan's is a racket of a tailor. But at least the prices are low. Kingsmen on the other hand...

3. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

the suits on that website look terrible.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Pants need to be shorter and need to be tapered. They should be narrower at the bottom. Otherwise I think it looks okay.
    +1 Those pants needed to be tapered below the knee to something like 8" wide at the hem, maybe 8.5" to stay conservative. The sleeves also need a taper. The suit is in drastic need of a pressing, which surprises me because as its supposedly 'recent', I have to wear a pair of pants 3-4 times to take the crease out that much. If you havent already, strongly consider getting a setup that allows you to press your suit well, it'll help things stay sharp looking.

5. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Suit looks great, shirts a bit blousy and needs let in some and a good pressing.

6. dbc

dbc Senior member

No offense intended at all, but really? From Mohan's - the same guys who do 24hour suits at Far East Plaza?

Very surprised if it really is the case!

Well, I specifically asked for it, and it took significantly longer than 24 hours! Something like 5 working days I think. To my untrained eye, it looks canvased. Anything that I should look out for?

+1

Those pants needed to be tapered below the knee to something like 8" wide at the hem, maybe 8.5" to stay conservative.

The sleeves also need a taper.

Ok great, I'll go measure it when I get off work.

If anyone could answer my earlier questions about where on the shoulder the shirt should end, as well as, where the cuff should end, that'd be great.

Cheers.

7. dbc

dbc Senior member

*bump*

Anybody? Taking it for alteration today after work.

8. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

something like this would look more proportional with the jacket.
    [​IMG]

9. dbc

dbc Senior member

something like this would look more proportional with the jacket.

What do you mean?

10. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

The legs of the trousers are narrower and shorter It will create a better line and match the jacket better. As is, the jacket is proportionally more fitted than the trousers.

11. Simon4rings

Simon4rings Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... Full canvassed, Super 130s, 5 working days at only S$1000. Either you got a very good bargain or something doesn't add up

12. dbc

dbc Senior member

The legs of the trousers are narrower and shorter It will create a better line and match the jacket better. As is, the jacket is proportionally more fitted than the trousers.

Yep will do. Cutting an inch off and tapering to an 8inch hem below the knee as advised.

Hmmm.... Full canvassed, Super 130s, 5 working days at only S$1000. Either you got a very good bargain or something doesn't add up

Well, they work on Sat too and it was over the Chinese New Year break so I'm assuming an Indian tailor would have less customers? In anycase, do let me know if there are any telltale signs (or photos I can put up) that I might not have gotten what I paid for...

Also, any idea on the shoulders and shirt cuffs please? [​IMG]

Thanks!

13. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

14. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Senior member

Adding on to gshen's suggestion, I'd normally look / try 2 things to a jacket to see if it's fully canvassed:

1. Pinch the fabric off the chest area to see if you are 'catching' just a single layer of the fabric (compare the thickness / feel of the fabric to the sleeve), or if you are 'catching' more like an extra layer together with the fabric. If it's the former, you should be able to feel the layer of canvas between the fabric and lining in your other hand, akin to the 'floating' canvas effect. If it's the latter, you are most likely gripping the fused interlining that has glued itself to the fabric.

2. Flip the lapel and examine the underside to see if you can notice any padstitches. If it's a clean, smooth finish, I understand this would indicate the lapel is fused.

15. dbc

dbc Senior member

Adding on to gshen's suggestion, I'd normally look / try 2 things to a jacket to see if it's fully canvassed:

1. Pinch the fabric off the chest area to see if you are 'catching' just a single layer of the fabric (compare the thickness / feel of the fabric to the sleeve), or if you are 'catching' more like an extra layer together with the fabric. If it's the former, you should be able to feel the layer of canvas between the fabric and lining in your other hand, akin to the 'floating' canvas effect. If it's the latter, you are most likely gripping the fused interlining that has glued itself to the fabric.

2. Flip the lapel and examine the underside to see if you can notice any padstitches. If it's a clean, smooth finish, I understand this would indicate the lapel is fused.

Hey chaps, sorry for the late reply. I've been so busy that I'm only taking down the thing for alterations this weekend.

Haven't had time to look at GShen's suggestions but yes, I am just catching a single layer of fabric and I can see padstitches under the lapel [​IMG]