• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Shirt Fit Feedback Thread

brokencycle

Reaction score
I just had my trial shirt from Moderntailor arrive. I wanted some opinions. Obviously it is too tight, but I am more interested in your thoughts on length and sleeve length. Also it seems the last button seems very low.

It seems to me the sleeves are about half an inch short. The body feels like it needs about an inch or so. It seems to look worse than it feels. Although, I know that after washing it will only get worse. The biceps I also think need about .5-1 inch.

For the record, I measured a made to measure shirt I have that I am quite happy with the fit. It seems that all the measurements tend to be about half to a full inch smaller than the measurements I gave even before washing.

Thanks for the feedback. I was pleasantly surprised by the trial fabric, and I really like the wood buttons.

Last edited:

Millerp

Reaction score
The length of the shirt is about right for a shirt that is to be worn tucked and a bit long for a shirt
that is to be worn untucked. The sleeves could be a half inch longer.

The shirt as you say is obviously too tight. From the picture, there does not seem to be much of a
difference in the actual size of your chest, waist and hips. For your body, a more relaxed fitting shirt
might be more flattering than a form fitting shirt even if you adjusted the dimensions to make
it less tight but still form fitting.

I realize that many SF members prefer form fitting shirts no matter what their body dimensions,
so the choice is yours as to how you want the shirt to look.

Last edited:

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
This shirt, if it fits nicely on you, it would have been one of the best looking shirts!

However, it is, as you said, very tight, but the length and the sleeve seem to be quite right.....

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ouch
do not go out in public in that shirt.
you say this shirt has not been washed.

collar needs 1/2"
chest +2 this will ease up the armhole and should make the sleeve more comfortable.
waist +3 your stomach protrudes a bit. add darts in back after if you want it slimmer
hips +3

sleeves are too short add 3/4-1"

tail length is fine.

the buttons look awful in this photo

brokencycle

Reaction score

ouch
do not go out in public in that shirt.
you say this shirt has not been washed.
collar needs 1/2"
chest +2 this will ease up the armhole and should make the sleeve more comfortable.
waist +3 your stomach protrudes a bit. add darts in back after if you want it slimmer
hips +3
sleeves are too short add 3/4-1"
tail length is fine.
the buttons look awful in this photo

Is this pre-wash numbers? Because I feel like an extra inch in the sleeves would make it a bit long (for a final length), although you're the expert.

Like I said, all of the measurements of the shirt are about a half to an inch smaller than the numbers I gave them and that is before washing.

Do you think just the chest needs to be let out or should I also look at letting out the bicep or armhole number?

So to just be clear, let's assume this shirt has been washed several times and is at its final size and match the numbers I gave them. You would do the above to the measurements, correct?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the sleeves are short right now.
i am giving you finished prewashed changes.
I am assuming that the shirt you have on was not washed.

remember. cheap fabrics often shrink more then better fabrics.

by easing the chest, the armhole will automatically get larger
it will increase through the forearm, unless you are giving specific measurements

the numbers you gave them are prewashed numbers.
it is always a bad idea for online mtm companies to offer the chance for the customer to input certain armhole and sleeve width measurements.

brokencycle

Reaction score

the sleeves are short right now.
i am giving you finished prewashed changes.
I am assuming that the shirt you have on was not washed.
remember. cheap fabrics often shrink more then better fabrics.
by easing the chest, the armhole will automatically get larger
it will increase through the forearm, unless you are giving specific measurements
the numbers you gave them are prewashed numbers.
it is always a bad idea for online mtm companies to offer the chance for the customer to input certain armhole and sleeve width measurements.

I appreciate the help. I feel like the numbers I gave them should be post-wash numbers because I measured my best fitting shirt, but I'll chat with them.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
would allow for shrinkage, but do they do so..

also if you put your shirts in a dryer, theywill shrink more then if you hang dry.

these are questions that are discussed with a shirtmaker not with an online order form

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are you sure that shirt's for you? It looks so wrong in all levels.

brokencycle

Reaction score
ModernTailor asked me to submit photos showing measurements and if they're different than what I submitted they'll replace it at no cost.

div25sec9

Reaction score
This shirt isn't good at all. Everything is off. Did they pay any attention to measurements, or did they just send you a shirt off the rack hoping it would be close?

I don't mean to offend, but being honest to ensure the best look. You're not super slim in the body, so a tight fit isn't the best choice. You'll need way more fabric in the body; maybe 2-3 inches. Your posing does not show a relaxed diaphragm and you're already stretching at the buttons. The collar looks a bit tight too. Go about 1/2 inch on the sleeves at the most...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have a bullet proof vest on under that shirt??

brokencycle

Reaction score
In seriousness to everyone saying "that's tight" yes I know that - I was hoping for something more constructive than "it is tight," so thank you to shirtmaven and others who gave their opinion on how much they would change the measurements.

That's why I was more concerned about the sleeves, etc, because everything is about an inch trimmer than what I put in and it hasn't been washed yet, so it can only get worse.

I think the pictures make it look a bit worse than it is because when I unbutton the bottom one, it feels much better.

I was leaning toward about .5 inches on the sleeves.

Like I said, I am sending them pictures to see if they think it is their mistake or mine.

You have a bullet proof vest on under that shirt??

With the ceramic plates for large caliber bullets.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads