• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

another review my jantzen shirt thread

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first order...
jantzen1qi3.jpg

jantzen2ca7.jpg

jantzen3lj7.jpg

jantzen4ir1.jpg

jantzen5ir3.jpg

jantzen6pw2.jpg

jantzen7ak9.jpg

I think shoulders need to increase by about .3
Increase neck by .2
Bring in waist 1 inch
Widen hips by 1.5 inches

How should I go about fixing that bunching under the collar on the back? will the shoulder increase fix that

Should I add any back pleats of any sort ?

Shirt Length: 30.5
Chest: 37.75 inches
Waist: 33.5 inches
Hip: 35.25
Shoulder: 17.1 inches
Sleeve Length: 32.5 inches
Neck: 15.4 inches
Height: 68 inches
Weight: 150 pounds
Wrist Size ( No Allowance): 6.82
Special for Thicker Watch: Select One
Shirt Fitting: Tight (2"-4" Allowance)
Share of Shoulder: Regular Shoulder
Shade of Body: Normal Shade
Collar Style: Collar Style # 4, (Spread)
Collar Stay: Removable Collar Stay
Interlining: Regular
Tie space: 1/4"(Standard)
Back Height: 1 1/2" (Standard)
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: 1/4" (Our Standard)
Collar Point: 2 1/2" (Standard)
Color of Button Hole and Button Thread: Self Colour
Cuff Style: Single Cuff Sylte #10S (Round with Extra Side Button)
Contract Collar: Self Collar & Cuff
Cuff Height: 2 1/2" (Standard)
Pocket Style : Select one
Number of Pocket: No Pocket
Front Placket: Plain Front
Width of Placket: 1 3/8 (Our Standard)
Sleeve: Long Sleeve
Sleeves **** Extra Button: With Sleeves Extra Button
Shirt Tail: Regular Tail
Shoulder Pleat: No Pleat
Select one: Without Split Yoke
Gusset Triangle Color: Select One
Button Seclections:: Regular Troca/ (M.O.P) (Nature Colour)
Monogram Style: No Monogram
Monogram Placing: Select One
Initial:
Monogram Color: Select One

Please help me

Cornellian

Reaction score
It would be better to see the shirt with the top button buttoned. The extra fabric/folds that occur when you leave the top bottom opened make it difficult to assess fit.

Looks like a pretty good fit. Has the shirt been washed yet?

The shoulders do need to be widened. This is certainly a personal preference, but I think yours are just a litttle too narrow. I also wonder whether the sleeve is a little short. I think it hits your wrist nicely, but I wonder it it's going to be too short after you wash it a half-dozen times. I'm not a shirtmaker, but I suppose by making the shoulders wider you will also increase the length of the sleeve (not in actual measurements, but it will fall further down your wrist...maybe?) I might also put some more space between the buttons. You already have 8 buttons, but to me, they don't look like they go down far enough on the shirt.

I think overall though, the shirt looks very nice. Good work!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt has not been washed yet, most of the time the collar will be open as i am in a business casual workplace

to address: m not a shirtmaker, but I suppose by making the shoulders wider you will also increase the length of the sleeve

They will lengthen/shorten sleeves accordingly if you change shoulder measurement

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
These threads always crack me me up. "Adjust the Shoulders by .3" "

What world do you guys live in that you can tell if a shirt is off by .3" ??? do you breath? do you drink and eat? do you wash your clothes? All these things will have small effect on the fit of a shirt.

Hell cotton will grow or shrink based on humidity - so once you get your shirt to the "PERFECT FIT" don't walk in to a heated building or your shirt might end up being off by 1/64" and you'll need to send it back to Janzens.

For the record I like the fit of your shirt. I would launder it (however you like to do this) then try it again.

mullivan

Reaction score
Definitely widen the shoulders. You may also want to specify the sloping shoulder option for a better fit - I think that would get rid of the wrinkles behind the collar. I would also lengthen the sleeves - they look a bit short, especially without pleats in the back I would think these would be really short when you stretch your arms out. Also, if your cuffs are buttoned in the first picture then i would suggest you bring those in slightly - they look a bit big.

Otherwise, as others have said, make sure you wash and iron it at least once before verifying these changes and ordering again.

What material is that? Any thoughts on the feel, breathability, etc.?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I look at that shirt, the size of the cuffs jump out at me.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mullivan
Definitely widen the shoulders. You may also want to specify the sloping shoulder option for a better fit - I think that would get rid of the wrinkles behind the collar. I would also lengthen the sleeves - they look a bit short, especially without pleats in the back I would think these would be really short when you stretch your arms out. Also, if your cuffs are buttoned in the first picture then i would suggest you bring those in slightly - they look a bit big.

Otherwise, as others have said, make sure you wash and iron it at least once before verifying these changes and ordering again.

What material is that? Any thoughts on the feel, breathability, etc.?

Material is: #1 - Jantzen*3425, Light Blue Poplin with White & Navy Stripes, 100's, 2 Ply, 100% Italian Cotton

I'm going to wash and iron it prior, so you think i do have sloping shoulders?

mullivan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
so you think i do have sloping shoulders?

I'm not an expert, but based on your fifth picture, yes I do.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm anyone else have suggestions on the shoulders if they are sloped or not

Cornellian

Reaction score
Yes, they are sloping, though my assessment depends on which picture I look at...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay thanks
i guess i will post one more set of pictures post laundering + ironing just to make sure.. then 2nd order here i come!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads