• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Rag and Bone question/dillema

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided against the dry Straight Svens, because I was too unsure on stretching/shrinking with dry denim, and I love RB6s. So, it's either one or two more pairs of those. First, for the opinion question: I have it straight from the horse's mouth that the RB6 will be made for fall in the same denim as the RB1. I also sorta like the selvage denim from RB, though I've never seen the 6 in it. So, question number one: Do I get the RB6 in the RB1 denim, or the selvage, or both (assume cost no object for right now)? Now, question number two: If you recommend the selvage, where sells it? I have yet to come across it? I suppose I could just call every dealer, but that could take a while. Right now, the RB6a are my only dressy jeans.

Oh yea, and, as always, I'll take suggestions on similar fitting one-wash jeans.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ok, so I decided against the dry Straight Svens, because I was too unsure on stretching/shrinking with dry denim, and I love RB6s.

The shrinkage factor on Svens shouldn't be an issue. It'll be minor, as they're sanforized very well.

As for the recommendation, it's completely up to you. I personally wouldn't get two pairs of denim in the same cut and the same color.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, you have the RB6a and you're thinking about getting the RB6s AND another RB6 (RB1 denim?). Like Brian, I wouldn't bother with spending money on getting extra pairs in the same cut and color. In what situation would you want to wear the RB6s instead of the RB6a, and vice versa?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
So, you have the RB6a and you're thinking about getting the RB6s AND another RB6 (RB1 denim?). Like Brian, I wouldn't bother with spending money on getting extra pairs in the same cut and color. In what situation would you want to wear the RB6s instead of the RB6a, and vice versa?

I thought that the s model was not as deep an indigo as the a model. Then again, my experience with their selvage is limited to the RB11 I saw. However, if they are as close as you say, I'll just wait for the others. Maybe I will consider the Svens again, though in truth, I prefer the relativly plain back pockets of RB, as opposed to the gaudy Nudie stitching.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I thought that the s model was not as deep an indigo as the a model. Then again, my experience with their selvage is limited to the RB11 I saw. However, if they are as close as you say, I'll just wait for the others. Maybe I will consider the Svens again, though in truth, I prefer the relativly plain back pockets of RB, as opposed to the gaudy Nudie stitching.

R&B has three colors that I know of - Indigo, Light Indigo and Black. Two denims of the same weight may be dyed with the same color and look slightly different because of the denim weight, but like we were sayin, it's probably not worth it.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
R&B has three colors that I know of - Indigo, Light Indigo and Black. Two denims of the same weight may be dyed with the same color and look slightly different because of the denim weight, but like we were sayin, it's probably not worth it.

Point taken. The RB1 denim, however, seems somewhat darker, almost black, if I'm not mistaken. I also want one other pair because I want one pair that is lighter weight (mine) and also one of the 13.75oz pairs.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like them buy another pair, but wait before you buy a third, as your tastes may changeor you may decide to diversify.

I have the RB6 with selvedge from Active Endeavors. Besides them, I suppose Denim Bar or Famous Friends might have them.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP

Depends what you are looking for. The Svens are lower rise and slimmer than RB1's, by far. The RB11 is significantly slimmer, ime, than the RB1s, so that is not a great comparison. If you want a heavier jean, that is fairly slim, I would go with the Svens. The color of Nudies selvedge jeans, after they have been washed, is a vibrant true blue. R&B's come out much more greycast. It's nice, imo, to have a variation of styles in one's wardrobe.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Depends what you are looking for. The Svens are lower rise and slimmer than RB1's, by far. The RB11 is significantly slimmer, ime, than the RB1s, so that is not a great comparison. If you want a heavier jean, that is fairly slim, I would go with the Svens. The color of Nudies selvedge jeans, after they have been washed, is a vibrant true blue. R&B's come out much more greycast. It's nice, imo, to have a variation of styles in one's wardrobe.

Just to clarify, I was talking about RB1 denim, not the jean. I like the RB6 for the cut. Also, what you are saying about the fading after washing: Does that pertain to the color no matter when you wash it, or only if you wait several months, as opposed to washing it after a few wears?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Just to clarify, I was talking about RB1 denim, not the jean. I like the RB6 for the cut. Also, what you are saying about the fading after washing: Does that pertain to the color no matter when you wash it, or only if you wait several months, as opposed to washing it after a few wears?

Oh, okay.

As for the grey cast vs. the true blue, that has to do with the dye used, so the Rag & Bones will wash out to a grey cast if you wash them every week (of course, they will look more washed out) of if you wash them once every six months, and in the same way, dry selvage Nudies will wash out to a brighter, true blue color. The whiskering and fade contrast effects will differ, of course, but not the underlying color.

I personally really like how Nudies wash out... I probably like that color more than any other jeans, although the color of 5EPs are much more subtle and deeper and lots of other jeans have more interesting "hand." I will say that after a dozen washes and a year of wear though, that RRDS's drape really well and are super comfortable... Of course, at about that time, all my jeans (no matter the company or the denim weight) start of blow apart at the crotch, and require lots of repairs and maintenance.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
If you like them buy another pair, but wait before you buy a third, as your tastes may changeor you may decide to diversify.

I have the RB6 with selvedge from Active Endeavors. Besides them, I suppose Denim Bar or Famous Friends might have them.

The RB6 selvage aren't streaky, are they? My a model ones are, so that would be a reason to try another pair, considering how good the fit is.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
The RB6 selvage aren't streaky, are they? My a model ones are, so that would be a reason to try another pair, considering how good the fit is.

They are a little streaky. I've never seen the RB6a's in person, but the pics I have seen make them look considerably streakier.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
adgarfgyretasdasdfgsadf!!!!

Why must this be such a difficult decision for me, lol
biggrin.gif
. I'm once again leaning towards a pair of Nudie Straight Svens in the dry selvage. Where would be the best place to look, and who might have the best stock? Also, not sure what length to get. In my RBs, the 32 length was perfect. In the one pair of Svens I tried, the 32 length was also perfect, but if I lost more than an inch, I'd be SOL. The waist was also perfect in a 32, closed comfortably, with a little bit of pulling at the button. I hate big decisions, lol
tongue.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
adgarfgyretasdasdfgsadf!!!!

Why must this be such a difficult decision for me, lol
biggrin.gif
. I'm once again leaning towards a pair of Nudie Straight Svens in the dry selvage. Where would be the best place to look, and who might have the best stock? Also, not sure what length to get. In my RBs, the 32 length was perfect. In the one pair of Svens I tried, the 32 length was also perfect, but if I lost more than an inch, I'd be SOL. The waist was also perfect in a 32, closed comfortably, with a little bit of pulling at the button. I hate big decisions, lol
tongue.gif

Get the Svens then. Neither the Svens nor the RB6's will shrink much in the wash, maybe 1/2 an inch or so for the Svens, and something negligible for the RB6s. If you stretch the Svens before flat or hang drying them, they will actually get longer (happened to my Olas, for example.) I'm pretty sure that Denim Bar has both the Svens and the RB6s, and Mauro might give you the buy one get one half off deal if you want both. Matthew Izzo, Revolveclothing, fos5.com. are all decent sources. Oh, shopjake.com as well. Steven Alan might also carry them online. Lots and lots of brick and mortars now carry both brands.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Get the Svens then. Neither the Svens nor the RB6's will shrink much in the wash, maybe 1/2 an inch or so for the Svens, and something negligible for the RB6s. If you stretch the Svens before flat or hang drying them, they will actually get longer (happened to my Olas, for example.) I'm pretty sure that Denim Bar has both the Svens and the RB6s, and Mauro might give you the buy one get one half off deal if you want both. Matthew Izzo, Revolveclothing, fos5.com. are all decent sources. Oh, shopjake.com as well. Steven Alan might also carry them online. Lots and lots of brick and mortars now carry both brands.
Thanks. Also, there is another online store I discovered for Nudies, and they even have some on sale (though not dry), it is www.jakeandmabel.com, in Pittsburgh. They didn't have the Svens in selvage, though. But I still have to wonder, at US prices, are Nudies a good value compared to RB? They are the same price, at US retail, but we all know how much less Nudies go for elsewhere. Not that it matters, I have some time to decide, as it seems most places are out of many sizes of Nudies till at least mid June, and the RBs I want won't be in till early August.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads