• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Oxxford MTM Question

Urbane Legend

Reaction score
Not a question specifically on the Oxxford made to measure process but more about the price. Not to add to the previous links on this topic but the salesman told me unlike other MTM programs, Oxxford doesn't start the process with a specific stock size (say 42L). Rather, they take an individual's measurements against the particular model you chosen. Nevertheless, the suit sells itself. The construction is incredible and the suits are down right beautiful. But nothing that beautiful comes without a price. If it wasn't for that mortgage and those kids !!!!

Seriously, I understand the major difference between Oxxford and say BB Golden Fleece is the amount of hand stitching. But a comparable BB Golden Fleece (with similar quality wool) is at least $1200-$1500 less. That is a big difference at least to me.

Mind you , I always wanted an Oxxford. If I only was buying one suit, I would take the plunge without hesitation. But I have a lot of suits and the inventory keeps growing. I have purchased BB Golden Fleece during the Martin Greenfield MTM events and I have been very happy with the results. I am under the impression (some one help me here please) that an Oxxford suit is at another level.

I realize it is still not bespoke but probably better fitting than 90% of the population. Except maybe on this forum :) .

I do wear a suit to work every day. But I also commute into NYC in on an overcrowded rail system that doesn't get high marks for comfort or cleanliness. Plus, is Oxxford the suit one would wear to hockey games where the chance of getting beer spilled on you increases every time the Rangers score a goal ?

Frankly, at this point, I am not sure that I can justify multiple $3,000 suit purchases. Of course, I said that before I bought four pairs of Edward Greens. At some point this money should be going into the kid's 529 plans.

So if I get this suit , I am sure it would relegated to special occasions. For me, the pleasure is deciding in the morning which suit I will wear.

Sorry to ramble. Please someone tell me is an Oxxford MTM worth $1200-$1500 more than a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

Thank you in advance.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urbane Legend
Please someone tell me is an Oxxford MTM worth $1200-$1500 more than a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

Thank you in advance.

It sounds like it probably isn't worth it for you. That's not a big deal. I decided a few months ago that barring the rare exception, MTM/bespoke doesn't make sense for me for suits, sportcoats, or shoes. Shirts, yes. A different value proposition. But the rest is too easy to find on discount to justify the tremendous difference in price, at least for me.

Also, if you're very happy with the Golden Fleece, that's great! Nothing wrong with that suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not only that, I must say I am dubious of Oxxford MTM as a value proposition in and of itself. The Oxxford MTMs I have seen that fit really well are outnumbered by the ones that do not. This is hardly a scientific survey, but it is an impression that has stuck. I also know a handful of Oxxford MTM customers who have been unsatisfied and moved on to bespoke, whereas I only know one Oxxford MTM customer who is truly satisfied. I don't know what explains it. It could well be that Oxxford's block patterns just fit some body shapes better than others.

At any rate, spending $3,000 on a risky suit strikes me as dubious. If I were to spend that much, I would commit the extra $1,000 or so and go bespoke. Otherwise, I would stay with much lower-priced MTM. The construction won't be as good as Oxxford, but you might achieve the same or better fit at half the cost.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not only that, I must say I am dubious of Oxxford MTM as a value proposition in and of itself. The Oxxford MTMs I have seen that fit really well are outnumbered by the ones that do not. This is hardly a scientific survey, but it is an impression that has stuck. I also know a handful of Oxxford MTM customers who have been unsatisfied and moved on to bespoke, whereas I only know one Oxxford MTM customer who is truly satisfied. I don't know what explains it. It could well be that Oxxford's block patterns just fit some body shapes better than others.

At any rate, spending $3,000 on a risky suit strikes me as dubious. If I were to spend that much, I would commit the extra $1,000 or so and go bespoke. Otherwise, I would stay with much lower-priced MTM. The construction won't be as good as Oxxford, but you might achieve the same or better fit at half the cost.

I think that Oxxford is a very good option if you are not looking for a suit that really conforms to your body. If you are looking for that, you really need to look elsewhere. As far as the results versus bespoke, I cannot say that Oxxford is generally much worse than a lot of the bespoke that you see (much of which is horrible). I would even say that a bad Oxxford suit is likely better than bad bespoke, while a good Oxxford is not nearly as good as good bespoke. To me it is a lower risk proposition. That being said, I don't really like Oxxfords clothing much myself.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

I agree completely. My salesman always tries to sell me on new Oxxford MTM fabric he has coming in but every suit jacket I try on from Oxxford never looks right on me. Additionally the Belvest selection he has never fits right either. However every Castangia jacket I have tried that they have has fit like a glove. So I decided on the Castangia MTM and could not be happier. I generally think that if the OTR jackets fit is off MTM is not going to do much to correct that. You really have to start with a pattern that works for you and with minor alterations to clean up the look when you go MTM, IMHO.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxxford MTM is made extremely well. The fit to my body, however, leaves a great deal to be desired. And that’s after many, many fittings. I agree with manton - I’m done with MTM; spend the extra $1,000 and get bespoke.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
If it wasn't for that mortgage and those kids !!!!
Ah - the beauty of being childless and single.

I do wear a suit to work every day. But I also commute into NYC in on an overcrowded rail system that doesn't get high marks for comfort or cleanliness. Plus, is Oxxford the suit one would wear to hockey games where the chance of getting beer spilled on you increases every time the Rangers score a goal ?
I wear a suit to work everyday as well (in NYC). Before I get dressed, I always check the weather and see what I have slated for the day. Any rain? My bespoke numbers stay in the closet. Drinks afterwards in a crowded bar? Same deal. Thats why STP offers good suits at great prices. Some dolt spilling a drink on my $500 Corneliani may tick me off. The same moron doing to a $4500 Raphael just committed suicide.....

Frankly, at this point, I am not sure that I can justify multiple $3,000 suit purchases. Of course, I said that before I bought four pairs of Edward Greens. At some point this money should be going into the kid's 529 plans.
I just dont understand paying 3 grand for a MTM when for just a bit more you can get full bespoke by one of the best tailors in the world. The marginal cost just seems small for what you are getting in addition.

So if I get this suit , I am sure it would relegated to special occasions. For me, the pleasure is deciding in the morning which suit I will wear.
Tis true. I can also tell you when you own a suit of that quality, there is something about just owning it that gives you utility. Afterall, if someone owns a Picasso, how ofter hoes he "use" that Picasso? Clearly the joy is in the ownership.

Sorry to ramble. Please someone tell me is an Oxxford MTM worth $1200-$1500 more than a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.
Again, I dont think the question is if the Oxxford is worth $1500 more than the GF, but rather is a full bespoke worth $1000 more than the Oxxford. JMHO.

VKT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that Oxxford is a very good option if you are not looking for a suit that really conforms to your body. If you are looking for that, you really need to look elsewhere. As far as the results versus bespoke, I cannot say that Oxxford is generally much worse than a lot of the bespoke that you see (much of which is horrible). I would even say that a bad Oxxford suit is likely better than bad bespoke, while a good Oxxford is not nearly as good as good bespoke. To me it is a lower risk proposition.

That being said, I don't really like Oxxfords clothing much myself.

I just ordered an Oxxford MTM (my first). Some of the comments in this thread are troubling to me. And though I agree that Oxxford MTM is expensive, because there are no real bespoke options where I live (San Francisco), MTM is my best option. That said, the model I chose is new and is much slimmer, with a much softer shoulder and higher armhole that any previous Oxxford model. We also modified the model a little to have an even higher armhole and to have a little less fullness in the chest. We'll see how it turns out. For other Oxxford customers (both MTM and RTW), look for the Mason model, which is Oxxford's newest.

The model I ordered was created for the store at which I ordered the suit and is exclusive to that store. Apparently, the store kept asking Oxxford to make a trimmer, higher armhole jacket, and this model (called the Addison) was the answer. Oxxford took that model, made slight modifications to it, and called it the Mason. Especially with MTM, I'm sure you can order the Mason at any store selling Oxxford and make some more modifications to make it trimmer.

All that said, I have no idea how the suit will turn out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Urbane Legend

Reaction score
Thank you all for the clarification; I see I was asking the wrong question.

If I ever consider spending $3,000 plus for a MTM suit , I might as well go a bit higher and go bespoke.
Something from Saville Row would be nice.

Now only if the US dollar would strengthen 20%!!!

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKT
I just ordered an Oxxford MTM (my first). Some of the comments in this thread are troubling to me. And though I agree that Oxxford MTM is expensive, because there are no real bespoke options where I live (San Francisco), MTM is my best option. That said, the model I chose is new and is much slimmer, with a much softer shoulder and higher armhole that any previous Oxxford model. We also modified the model a little to have an even higher armhole and to have a little less fullness in the chest. We'll see how it turns out. For other Oxxford customers (both MTM and RTW), look for the Mason model, which is Oxxford's newest.

The model I ordered was created for the store at which I ordered the suit and is exclusive to that store. Apparently, the store kept asking Oxxford to make a trimmer, higher armhole jacket, and this model (called the Addison) was the answer. Oxxford took that model, made slight modifications to it, and called it the Mason. Especially with MTM, I'm sure you can order the Mason at any store selling Oxxford and make some more modifications to make it trimmer.

All that said, I have no idea how the suit will turn out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I live in SF as well. I hope that it turns out well. If the store is the one I am thinking of, they are better at selling than at standing by what they sell.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g
I agree completely. My salesman always tries to sell me on new Oxxford MTM fabric he has coming in but every suit jacket I try on from Oxxford never looks right on me. Additionally the Belvest selection he has never fits right either. However every Castangia jacket I have tried that they have has fit like a glove. So I decided on the Castangia MTM and could not be happier. I generally think that if the OTR jackets fit is off MTM is not going to do much to correct that. You really have to start with a pattern that works for you and with minor alterations to clean up the look when you go MTM, IMHO.
May I ask what store is that?
One of the key factors to successful MTM is the person taking the measurements and communicating them to the manufacturer. I am interested in someone who works well with Castangia.
BTW, what is the cost of a MTM Castangia suit and how flexible are they with options?

VKT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I live in SF as well. I hope that it turns out well. If the store is the one I am thinking of, they are better at selling than at standing by what they sell.

Thanks for the good wishes, Matt. I suspect we both are talking about the same store. Though I have to say that I've always had good experiences there, I could see how this could be true. Thus far I've been fortunate with them. I'll cross my fingers and hope I always will be. And as for the Oxxford, we shall see. At the moment, I am optimistic.

And actually, I am visiting the Oxxford workrooms on April 30, so I'm excited to see the place. I don't think I can have a fitting of my suit--I didn't really ask--but it should be a fun visit nonetheless.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKT
And actually, I am visiting the Oxxford workrooms on April 30, so I'm excited to see the place. I don't think I can have a fitting of my suit--I didn't really ask--but it should be a fun visit nonetheless.

If you call ahead to make an appointment, you should be able to have a fitting with Rocco. I've been able to do this multiple times. However, Rocco's English can be difficult, if not impossible, to understand. I'm never sure if he's understood a request or comment.

I wouldn't be too discouraged about Oxxford. In my opinion, if you are risk averse, Oxxford is not a bad choice at all: bad bespoke can be much worse. The problem is that the upside is also limited. You'll likely get a more-than-decent fit, but it won't be spectacular, and the styling tend to come out a bit boring.

I had my jackets made through their 'bespoke' option, which is basically MTM with basted fittings at their Manhattan boutique. They did very high armholes, lots of waist suppression, no shoulder padding, ets., all per my request--but still the end result is somewhat bland. Ultimately, you're still modifying a pre-set cut that itself is often an interpretation or amalgamation of various styles. The Mason is nice, but it's basically a watered down attempt at something more 'Neapolitan'. The Crest is basically a Brioni copy--you can see an example in my blog posts.

But then, Oxxford has never been about flash. They stray from doing anything extreme or the slightest bit quirky. For a solid standby suit or jacket, you can't go wrong--though if you are willing to stomach more risk or more cost, you can get something arguably significantly more unique.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKT

And actually, I am visiting the Oxxford workrooms on April 30, so I'm excited to see the place. I don't think I can have a fitting of my suit--I didn't really ask.

The store can arraigned for a fitting at the workrooms. If fact, one can be measured and fitted at the workrooms (the best way to experience Oxxford MTM)as long as the transaction in made through an Oxxford retailer.

VKT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If you call ahead to make an appointment, you should be able to have a fitting with Rocco. I've been able to do this multiple times. However, Rocco's English can be difficult, if not impossible, to understand. I'm never sure if he's understood a request or comment.

I wouldn't be too discouraged about Oxxford. In my opinion, if you are risk averse, Oxxford is not a bad choice at all: bad bespoke can be much worse. The problem is that the upside is also limited. You'll likely get a more-than-decent fit, but it won't be spectacular, and the styling tend to come out a bit boring.

I had my jackets made through their 'bespoke' option, which is basically MTM with basted fittings at their Manhattan boutique. They did very high armholes, lots of waist suppression, no shoulder padding, ets., all per my request--but still the end result is somewhat bland. Ultimately, you're still modifying a pre-set cut that itself is often an interpretation or amalgamation of various styles. The Mason is nice, but it's basically a watered down attempt at something more 'Neapolitan'. The Crest is basically a Brioni copy--you can see an example in my blog posts.

But then, Oxxford has never been about flash. They stray from doing anything extreme or the slightest bit quirky. For a solid standby suit or jacket, you can't go wrong--though if you are willing to stomach more risk or more cost, you can get something arguably significantly more unique.

Mafoofan, many thanks for the information. I think I will contact them and ask to do a fitting. Rocco actually took all my measurements at the trunk show, so it would be great if I could get a fitting with him in Chicago. Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads