• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Overcoat Thread...

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I've just realized that I lost my overcoats in my most recent move, and would really like to get at least one replacement as soon as possible, before it gets even colder.

Not sure where to look these days, but this is my criteria:

(1) Must be grey or camel
(2) Must contain no synthetic fibres
(3) Must not fit like a tent
(4) Must cost less than $1K

Right now, I'm eyeing some ISAIA, but maybe y'all have some better options for me?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to reconcile cheap with high quality, especially if you also want other stuff

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
For real? $1K is "cheap"? I don't think I listed anything too ridiculous in my criteria...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For real? $1K is "cheap"? I don't think I listed anything too ridiculous in my criteria...

Overcoats are notoriously expensive, and $1k is kind of in a weird middle area--its above the "cheap" options, but below the nice options.

Buying used isn't a bad idea since overcoats last forever and don't tend to change in style too much.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just realized that I lost my overcoats in my most recent move, and would really like to get at least one replacement as soon as possible, before it gets even colder.
Not sure where to look these days, but this is my criteria:
(1) Must be grey or camel
(2) Must contain no synthetic fibres
(3) Must not fit like a tent
(4) Must cost less than $1K
Right now, I'm eyeing some ISAIA, but maybe y'all have some better options for me?

ISAIA won't be cheaper than $1K, lurk on ebay and here more. I hope you are good in tagged size.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you live, but if you are anywhere up north you need to go pick up a coat stat as winter is here. I think men should have multiple coats to go with different looks. If I were in your position, I would hit up Brooks Brothers as they have a pretty decent variety and have a lot of options around the $1k mark--especially during sales. There are different fits so if you want something fitter do your research.

Then, with time you can find something nicer or a killer deal and add to you rotation. Right now time is not on your side and you will be suffering in a a week or so.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this overcoat on the TV show 'Person of Interest'

Just wondering if anyone knows the origin or maker of the coat is.

johnvw

Reaction score
OP: Although I am well aware that Jos.A.Bank doesn't "get much love" on SF, a 100% merino wool JAB overcoat is an option you should consider. It meets your criteria and now is on sale for $99. Keep in mind you may want to opt for one size smaller than your normal suit size to get the correct fit. Hope this helps. All the best with your search.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads