• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Another Overcoat Poal: Which Looks Better?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which is better? (Ignore the bad knots - not my mock up)

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest, the right one looks like a thin version of the left one.

But I like the right better. I prefer a chest pocket on the overcoat. It gives me room to stuff my gloves if I ever feel like looking like a total douchbag who is exuding a great deal of sprezzatura.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
don't like either one, lapels are pretty bad.

The shape/slope or width?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
to be honest, the right one looks like a thin version of the left one.

Yeah, it's difficult to tell the differences, when they're not necessarily to scale. Beyond details, the cut seems narrower on the right and the top button seems a bit lower compared to the left. I prefer it, anyway. But they might appear different when actually worn.

But I like the right better. I prefer a chest pocket on the overcoat. It gives me room to stuff my gloves if I ever feel like looking like a total douchbag who is exuding a great deal of sprezzatura.

Mind you, I never really understood why this is considered sprezz at all. I mean, where else are you supposed to put them?! It's by far the most convenient pocket to use, and I've always done it. It's just easier than carrying them when not wearing them.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These coats are from diffusion lines (JV Star USA and Z Zegna). I'd assume that they're of mediocre quality, like the suits from those lines. Is that correct?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Neither. Don't like the lack of breast pocket on the left, nor the hacking pockets. Don't like the exaggerated waist suppression, hugely visible darts. or stupidly low button stance (hello, it's an overcoat!) on the right. Lapel roll on both are horrible. Start from scratch -- as a guide, the one on the left with a breast pocket, proper pockets, and notch lapels with a bit of roll would be ok.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast

Mind you, I never really understood why this is considered sprezz at all. I mean, where else are you supposed to put them?! It's by far the most convenient pocket to use, and I've always done it. It's just easier than carrying them when not wearing them.

Doc,

how about the actual WAIST-level pockets where, presumably, one puts one's hands?

I have at least 3 overcoats in active rotation. Consistently I find that trying to put my gloves in the breast pocket actually takes lots of effort and is in no way an easy undertaking. And besides, the way people "stuff" them, where the fingers poke out just so, is completelely unnatural if you actually think about the motion of ungloving and stuffing.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm so underwhelmed I don't want to vote for either. The one on the right is slightly nicer looking, but don't you dare consider this a vote.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always put my gloves in my waist pockets. Half the time I don't remember I have breast pockets on some of my coats, because most don't.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, waist-level pockets are totally inconvenient for gloves.
They get squished up in the pocket, create an unsightly bulge in the line of the coat and take a moment longer to fish out. If you'll pardon a pun: breast is best. The gloves stay neatly in place (apart from the floppy fingers) and can easily be popped in and taken out quickly as needed. I suppose it's what you're used to; I have one overcoat without a breast pocket, and I always lose track of which pocket my gloves are in when wearing that one...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
To be honest, I'm so underwhelmed I don't want to vote for either. The one on the right is slightly nicer looking, but don't you dare consider this a vote.

It's surprisingly tough to find a slim charcoal overcoat in 38R. I've scoured brick and mortars and Yoox. These are sort of the best I've been able to do. (Along with these: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=207974)

in stitches

Kung Joo
Reaction score
right, the left looks very boxy

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.