• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(another) Opinion on this suit please? BB Madison stripe

poelow

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been allured by the Brooks Brothers sale and the nicely discounted 1818 suits. After spending at least an hour at the store today, found this certain suit to be appealing. As in I was pleased with the fit and styling, but not so sure about its application to me. I will say though that it looked good on me, and I do love the look of a navy pinstripe.

I am 18, and this would be my first suit purchase. I currently have a hand me down light grey glenplaid suit, which fits well. Other than that, it's just a navy blazer and a brown sport coat.

Ideas I want to bounce around:

Honestly, how versatile is this suit? The saleslady convinced me it was very versatile, but that is her job. Are the stripes too pretentious or fancy for a younger person?

Versatility of bead stripes... can this also be a "social suit", fine for weddings, funerals, etc.

Basically, I'm just seeking your opinions as to whether this would be a wise allocation of my money set aside for my wardrobe. (I got $500 for graduation from my parents.)

Thanks,

Ryan

poelow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
It's hard to get excited about a BB1818 for $600 when $3500 RLPL is being snapped up at $450.. I'd hold off unless you have an immediate need for this.

A solid suit will be more versatile for those social occasions as well.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Three-button sack? That's very Tradly for a young guy.

I agree that a solid would be much more versatile. Pinstripes aren't ideals for weddings, funerals, etc.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I am not aware of RL Purple Labels going for $450??? On Ebay perhaps? I am comfortable with buying this suit on sale at BB, I'm not much of a bargain hunter and would prefer everything to be "packaged" at Brooks Brothers store.

I don't have an immediate need- just the fact that the BB's are on semi-annual sale. As far as the solid vs. pinstripe- I just feel that solid suits are... boring? I want to buy a suit that I am going to love wearing, and I don't think I could love wearing a plain charcoal or navy (perhaps I'm just immature...
tounge.gif
)

As far as the Madison sack, I tried to steer myself towards the Regents and Fitzgeralds but we found the Madison to be a better fit. I have to say because I have broader shoulders I prefer the more forgiving cut. I hope it doesn't make me look too stodgy or trad...? I thought the 3/2 buttoning was unique enough?

Thanks,

Ryan

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poelow
I don't have an immediate need- just the fact that the BB's are on semi-annual sale. As far as the solid vs. pinstripe- I just feel that solid suits are... boring? I want to buy a suit that I am going to love wearing, and I don't think I could love wearing a plain charcoal or navy (perhaps I'm just immature...
tounge.gif
)

Not immature at all. I totally understand where you're coming from. After all, if you're going to drop coin on a suit, you want something you'll love wearing. But, in defense of solids, I'd say that the right cut can make all the difference. Solids can be plain, but done right, they can be stunning in their own right. A little nip here and a tuck there can go a long way.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Poelow,

I second the comments above, and highly recommend a solid charcoal or solid navy blue as your first color. Consider charcoal, as that you being eighteen Navy Blue may make you look even younger.

Also, before spending your money I highly advise you to read not only through this forum, but at sites that have numerous articles on the basics of men's classic style. Take a look at http://www.atailoredsuit.com/mens-st...ored-suit.html I also love this video Here you get advice from some pretty heavy hitters in the fashion industry and a few well dressed celebrities.

Best of luck!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Doc on this too... Solids can be and are amazing.

If its your first suit a medium grey, charcoal of navy (I say navy) would be my recommendation. I'm not big on the pinstripe your looking at and you could do better on price.

But back to solids, the fit is most important and a well tailored navy can look just as good if not better than a navy pin. Also if its going to be your only suit then a solid draws less attention, in that people won't realize you are continually wearing the same pinstriped suit.

mikeczyz

Reaction score
i don't know fi this helps or not but I recently bought three suits at the BB semi-annual sale. in addition to the already marked down prices, I also applied for and got a brooks brothers card. this allowed me to take another 15% off of that day's purchases. pretty good deal, imo.

billiebob

Reaction score
That suit looks like a flannel as well, at least in the detail pic, which makes it a no-no for a first suit. The fancy pinstripes (alternating bold and thin) kinda rule it out for interview wear. I'd pass.

I'd agree with solid charcoal, and you should be able to get a Ralph Lauren suit for about the same price, either Polo or Black label.

jasonsun

Reaction score
I received multiple complements when i was wearing charcoal narrow stripe suit. I think Charcoal sometime can be just as much if not more versatile than navy.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like it, I think it's a great first suit at a good price (way better than my first, a wool-poly blend).

poelow

Reaction score
Alright! Thank you all for the opinions and thoughts and links. I did decide on a 1818 Madison in plain charcoal. The versatility factor came into play here, as well as the great look and fit. Navy pinstripe will have to wait for when I land that junior vice president position out of college...
laugh.gif

Details: 39R, center vent, double-reverse pleat, 120s wool, charcoal color. Also picked up some patriotic cuff links...

Thanks again, and I will hopefully post some pictures when I pick it up in 2 weeks.
smile.gif

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poelow
As far as the solid vs. pinstripe- I just feel that solid suits are... boring? I want to buy a suit that I am going to love wearing, and I don't think I could love wearing a plain charcoal or navy (perhaps I'm just immature...
tounge.gif
)

It's funny, but whenever I see someone wearing a solid color suit I know that they probably pay attention to their clothes. Most people who don't pay attention to their clothes buy pinstripes. The only solids they buy are black suits, and maybe a tan summer suit. Everything else they own is some form of pinstripe, the more stripes and colors the better.

Now before everyone jumps on me, let me say that pinstripes can look great, and I have a few. And the pinstripe suits worn by people who don't pay attention to their clothes are often ugly or ill-fitting pinstripe suits, or pinstripes paired with unattractive ties or shirts. But people who don't pay attention to their clothes just don't seem to realize that solid color suits can look great, and, more importantly, can make the wearer look great. I have about 15 suits and probably 12 of them are solids. When I wear my pinstripes, people say, "Nice suit." When I wear my plain suits, people say, "You look nice."

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
It's hard to get excited about a BB1818 for $600 when $3500 RLPL is being snapped up at $450.. I'd hold off unless you have an immediate need for this.

A solid suit will be more versatile for those social occasions as well.

Where would $3,500 RLPL's for $450 be? They may exist but are extremely hard to find particularly for an 18 year old buying his first suit. I'm inclined to agree a solid mid grey is probably a better theoretical choice and maybe BB have this suit available in a grey. That said, hell if you like it, and feel and look good in it ignore all the doubting Thomases and experts on where you can get a better deal, and go right ahead and buy it. After all it's not as if it will be the last suit you will ever buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads