Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Another ny times front page clothing story

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jerrysfriend, Aug 17, 2004.

1. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

The Times has another front-page clothing story; see http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/16/bu.../16preppy.html At least this one seems more newsworthy (as the market is worth billions) than the prior front-page one about Hollywood men wearing shirts with the tails hangng out or the Style section one about sexy male underwear.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hahahahahahaha.

When the Times publishes a style story, you can be sure that it was old news 6 months ago. And when suburban teenagers catch on to a trend, that that trend hit its peak about a year before. This news articles has therefore been old news for at least 1 1/2 half years. As for the "market researchers"? I can only conclude that they are a class of middle aged men in Newark who have been wearing pleated khakis since the eighties, and who feel vindicated that, well, they're back in style.

3. TomW

TomW Senior member

It's not even news to some of us over 40.

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Can someone cut and paste that story here, I don't have a subscription to the NYT.

5. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In my honest opinion, following fashion trends is a moronic pursuit and just proves my continuing theory the most people are lemmings. I have no problem with people dressing the same or dressing in a similar manner, as long as some individuality shines through. Every time I walk in the mall every person my age (early twenties) is basically dressed the same, sure you have the occasional girl in a nice casual dress instead of being in a tank top and short shorts (okay, maybe the short shorts are not such a bad thing...), but for the most part it's the same, the same, the same.

And the equivalent fashion sense goes for the guys: way too long cargo pants of some type of material or cargo shorts (My tailor charges $10 to hem pant bottoms, is that really so high a price to pay for properly fitting pants? Or, would we rather just drag the bottoms through the floor?), overtly thick Nike's, random t-shirts (often ill fitting) and the occasional Lacoste, RL, or generic (i.e. logo-less) polo shirt. As much as people on the board mention that Puma is very popular and that everyone uses them, I rarely see Pumas (especially Speed Cats) compared to the amount of Nikes I see. As well Cole Haan seems to be increasingly popular (ok, so I'm wearing a pair of brown suede boat shoes right now, but I have had mine for years, before they were overtly popular).

I guess being on this forum makes me jaded, because I always expect people to have their own sense of sytle (as most people on this forum tend to have), their own ideas of what is appropriate and what is not, but alas, that does not occur, and people end up wearing long shirt tails un-tucked, pants with 20 useless cargo pockets, etc, etc, etc... Do you recall the last time I saw a 21 year old wearing a decent pair of nice looking trousers (even GAP trousers for Pete's sake. ) with a decent pair of shoes and a properly fitting dress shirt? Neither do I. And I'm got even going to go into suits / jackets, I might give my self an aneurysm.

Jon.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Sounds like a great time for those with prep leaning tastes to stock up when the clearance sales hit. [​IMG]

8. marc37

marc37 Senior member

What do the media know. Goth will never die. As long as we have the working class, punk will never go out of fashion. l seriously doubt the media even know the true meaning of Goth and Punk. The media make me sick.

9. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I think you're being a little unfair in most of your rant.

I don't think anyone likes trend whores or fashion victims, but calling everyone who dresses similarly in the vein of a popular style is a trend slave is a pretty big leap. Most guys really don't care and will just buy whatever's available at basic clothing stores as long as they feel like they wouldn't look out of place (i.e. every other guy is wearing the same thing). There's also a big block of guys who just let their girlfriends dress them, and when you combine the general know-it-all attitude most young women have towards fashion with their lack of actual knowledge of men's clothing... well you can guess the results. Although I hate seeing every guy dress the same, my only real spite is towards those people who try to put on airs about how they follow all the latest trends.

As for your outrage over the way most 20 something's dress, I think you're forgetting a lot of the practical barriers that only get overlooked by people like this forum's members, who are pretty dedicated to clothes.

For instance, I bet most guys only pay about $25-30 for a pair of casual pants; at those prices, yes, $10/pair for hemming is a pretty big pill to swallow. The first time I had to get a pair of pants I bought hemmed was a pretty big step that involved forcing myself to see that designers who made pants better than the dreck at Macy's weren't going to make seperate lines just to cater for guys like me with 30" inseams.

The same is true with shirts. Having gone to Jantzen, I can't find a single off the rack shirt that fits me properly, and I imagine most other guys can't either. Again, there's the options of tailors, but the costs add up fast ($15-30 in alterations/shirt) and time spent just isn't worth it for guys who aren't particularly interested in clothes. Custom clothing is also prohibatively expensive; finding something like Jantzen was a huge fluke, and I still imagine that even when presented with the options, most laymen would be daunted and prefer to just buy something predesigned.

And why don't most college age guys wear wool slacks regularly? Probably because they're really expensive (relatively) and high maintenance... having to make trips to the cleaners instead of just tossing a pair in the laundry is a royal pain in the ass. Again, dressing well does require a pretty high degree of effort and time, with which most people just don't want to deal. Honestly, I don't blame them, a lot of clothing costs and maintenance is a huge pain... I just find myself willing to bear them because I like clothes.

So, yeah, it sucks that most guys don't give a crap about clothes and that men's fashion is generally pretty boring as a result. Maybe the trend of making dressy clothes more mainstream is a step in the right direction, even if it means that a lot of nice items like striped shirts, ticket pocket jackets, and high end jeans will get played out faster. But regardless, I honestly don't see why you feel you need to worry so much about what other people are wearing. How men weigh their priorities is beyond your control, and worrying about it only stresses you out anyway. Just worry about how you want to dress.