• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another "my new apartment" thread

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
castig_studio.jpg

You need good ceiling height to do justice to that Flos Arco lamp!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
You need good ceiling height to do justice to that Flos Arco lamp!

I think it's something that looks best in a traditional interior, as in this photo of Castiglione at home.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Looks like a nice place. Perhaps you can snap a few more pics of the corners of the apt.
tounge.gif
dl

Will do
wink.gif
- I'll track the progress...
Originally Posted by globetrotter
first, get rid of that god awful stove and get a space heater. as a good efriend, I would be happy to take it off your hands, I'll even have it picked up.
Awful, isn't it? We call it the war memorial. Seriously, though, I rather fell for it. We had it moved from the bedroom, former, living-room, where it did little work. The slab under it used to be the top of an 18thC chest of drawers, it was just re-cut to go under the stove. Better pics:
DSC05090.jpg
DSC05113.jpg
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Nice looking chairs. Are they palisander? They remind me of the maui side chair, but these have more flair. !luc
Yep, very faded palisander, they're a Norwegian design from 1954 called "City". The back and the seat are supposed to be exactly opposite shapes. I like Magistretti, though, he seems to be able to get the most amazing ideas simply out of folding a piece of paper. A couple of different corners; window framing before and after:
DSC05115.jpg
DSC05114.jpg
And then i bought this the other day:
67746-1.jpg
It's going here:
DSC05122.jpg
Exterior shot, it the three top windows:
DSC05088.jpg

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where were you from originally luckystrike?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coconut
Check out apartmenttherapy.com. It is the closest think to this forum that I know of for apartment decorating.
Just did - seems v. useful, thanks. Update; we're debating whether to keep the place-built shoe closet, or get a new one made. The builders are, naturally, strongly in favour of tearing it down. (If we decide to keep it, the cost of fixing it up properly may be higher than having a new one made.)
DSC05179.jpg
I'm also considering this art deco chandelier (I can buy it for $100, which is a very good price). Excuse bad photo.
DSC05217.jpg
I also got hold of an art deco table/lamp, originally from a 30s cabaret theatre here in Oslo. Here it is, on its way to restoration (new cloth cord of the original type, frosted glass tabletop and refinishing of the top, where the varnish has "boiled".
DSC05168.jpg
Other furniture under consideration, all original 30s:
842008kussiusbar1.jpg
68205-10.jpg
57136-1b.jpg
Glass table-top must be changed. The bar-stools (2) and the sofa will have to be reupholstered, of course - I'm thinking about a tweed-like fabric, - maroon?

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look for fabrics in "high marindales" wear resistance testing.
But any good upholstering company can guide you. Throug contacts they can possibly recomend some furniture & cabinet makers, and also som fabric distributors in your area. .

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DesignGirl7366
bye! let me know what you think!!

I think you're about to get banned

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hows your apartment going LS? Looking like its going to be a mighty cosy place to be.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Hows your apartment going LS? Looking like its going to be a mighty cosy place to be.
The painters, and the electrician moved out yesterday, actually, - so, the painting and the electric stuff is all done. None of the doors have handles, and there are quite a few DIY projects for me to do for the next weeks. The old structured glass-fibre wallpaper has all been spackled aover and painted matt eggshell white, the door- and window frames are glossy pure white. We had the ceiling in the bedroom put back to its original (~5 inches higher) height, mostly to get hidden lighting strips installed behind the railing which is now ~ 5 inches below the present ceiling height. I really like indirect lighting. The floors were scrubbed with little discernible result, but I think a few more good scrubbings with a hard brush and old-fashoned, gritty soap powder will work wonders. (I don't want to sand it down, as I like the patina.) Ah, and we bought the sofa, table and barstools above, but as they all need to be reupholstered/fixed, we probably won't get them before very much before Christmas.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
The floors were scrubbed with little discernible result, but I think a few more good scrubbings with a hard brush and old-fashoned, gritty soap powder will work wonders. (I don't want to sand it down, as I like the patina.)
product-534714.jpg

!luc

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of different corners; window framing before and after:

DSC05115.jpg

DSC05114.jpg

Why did you do this?

What happened to the shoe closet?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The painters, and the electrician moved out yesterday, actually, - so, the painting and the electric stuff is all done. None of the doors have handles, and there are quite a few DIY projects for me to do for the next weeks.

The old structured glass-fibre wallpaper has all been spackled aover and painted matt eggshell white, the door- and window frames are glossy pure white.

We had the ceiling in the bedroom put back to its original (~5 inches higher) height, mostly to get hidden lighting strips installed behind the railing which is now ~ 5 inches below the present ceiling height. I really like indirect lighting.

The floors were scrubbed with little discernible result, but I think a few more good scrubbings with a hard brush and old-fashoned, gritty soap powder will work wonders. (I don't want to sand it down, as I like the patina.)

Ah, and we bought the sofa, table and barstools above, but as they all need to be reupholstered/fixed, we probably won't get them before very much before Christmas.

Sounds like a very long process in place! I kind of miss that kind of moving in. Being in Hong Kong, everything is pretty much ready made and completely done when you move in. There is minimal to no DIY projects :S. I guess its a function of the lack of time HKGers have to themselves, the extreme lack of space to put DIY projects together, and the lack of products to achieve this as well

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
product-534714.jpg

Yep, something like that. Does that smell like resin?
Originally Posted by fritzl
Why did you do this? What happened to the shoe closet?
The old window frames are a later addition, and the profiled bits are completely incorrect for the date of the building (1929). These are slightly more correct. We kept the shoe closet - pics to follow.
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Sounds like a very long process in place! I kind of miss that kind of moving in. Being in Hong Kong, everything is pretty much ready made and completely done when you move in. There is minimal to no DIY projects :S. I guess its a function of the lack of time HKGers have to themselves, the extreme lack of space to put DIY projects together, and the lack of products to achieve this as well
I like projects like this - it's the only way to get things exactly how you want them. Found this chair at a junk dealer's on Monday, still not decided on it:
DSC05903.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads