• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another loafer fit topic

JDubbs

Reaction score
I know there's plenty of threads about loafer fit, but I would like to have some fresh opinions here.

Several posts I read talked about a tight fit preference, which seems to contradict the following:
"It is incredibly important that when shopping for men's loafers, you get a pair that fits just perfectly. This is so they won't fall off while you wear them and so they're easy to slip and easy to take off. Loafers that are too large will be difficult to wear. While you can slip your feet into them easily, you'll worry with each step you take that they'll fall off, and may have to walk differently to ensure your loafers don't come off."
http://www.ask.com/explore/shopping-mens-loafers

I had some confusion around uk/us sizing, or the website instructions were bad, and I ended up ordering an 11US loafer when I was aiming for a 12US. Everything indicated prior that the shoe would have the UK size on it, but it had "11" on the sole and it was a true battle just to get my foot into it. Brought it to the store and the sales guy agreed it was far too tight. He advised to go at least up half a size to an 11.5, but then in his system it only showed whole sizes, and he had nothing available in a 12. Through this experience I learned the shoe actually is branded with a US size and not UK. FWIW, most days I wear sneakers, Adidas Y3 I am always a size 12, dress shoes usually 11.5 or 12.

Anyways, the first ones got returned and I ordered a very similar shoe direct from the manufacturer, same brand just slightly different model, in a Size 12 (no half sizes available higher than 9.5, and I'm unwilling to wait and see if they might eventually make more). The sizing almost got messed up again but I told them I wanted a US 12 and they managed to confirm that it was indeed the size being shipped, 12D in fact, and this sounded fine. So I now have this new pair that say 12D on the sole, my foot slides into them without a big fight, but I still use a shoe horn, can't put them on like slippers or anything. Although I might be able to carefully wiggle into them without using my hands, I can't see any good reason to try it. I have a sideways thumb's width in front of my big toe, and there's some degree of heel slippage in the back, enough that it led to blisters (not severe, I didn't walk a lot, but far more than I planned with the new loafers on day 1; got dragged into a trek unexpectedly, couldn't leave to change my shoes). I know they are new, and they should break in and have less slippage, that is of course assuming they are not too big. If I push my foot to the front of them I can jam my index finger behind the heel, not easily but not tough to do either. My heel does not fall out of them when I walk. If I really try I can get my heels out without using my hands, but it takes a lot of intentional effort to do that. Lastly, loafer socks seem to increase the slippage, was wearing them on day 1 when I got pulled into walking, blisters, etc.

Last night I bought the Band-Aid anti-friction foot stuff for my heel, basically a mini-deodorant stick. It seems to really do the trick, or the heel is indeed breaking in, or it's because I skipped the loafer socks; I don't know what it is but they feel better. I do have tongue pads in the mail coming to me, and there is a good chance I will still use them. The blisters I got are because I had too much slippage, but it seems like this might not be a long-term issue as the shoes already feel better, and I'm almost certain the tongue pads will tighten it up just the tiny bit that I want. However, if these shoes stretch a lot I might be screwed, hopefully they don't.

So the 12 definitely works for me, at least according to the definition in the quoted link above, but the minor slippage leaves me thinking half a size down would be the way to go, or at least worth a shot on the next pair... Speaking of my next pair, here's where I have a dilemma: I found the other pair that I returned (and still want to own) in both an 11.5 and 12, and I am thinking although 12 "works" that the 11.5 will probably be a better fit. These are my first lace-less (non-sandal) without any type of elastic, the 11 was painful and almost impossible to get on, the 12 feels like it "works" as defined, but the 11.5 sounds like the snug fit recommended by reading other style forum posts. Hoping someone can chime in with some thoughts. One last thing, based on the 11 and the 12 I am guessing the 11.5 I will absolutely 'need' a shoehorn to get them on, at least until they break in. I always use horns anyways, but there's a difference between my preference and the actual functional requirement. Also, pretty sure the 11.5 will leave me some room in the toe, on the 11 I was touching the end, and 12 I have a full thumb width.

Last edited:

JDubbs

Reaction score
Anyone?

I just got tongue pads and these things fit LIKE A GLOVE (on my foot, of course).

It's really weird, I can walk around now without tongue pads and the shoes aren't really slipping when I walk, but stationary I can get the heel out (probably, if I try). With the tongue pads I need to use my hands to remove the shoes, and there is no motion ever, almost feels a bit too snug if i have my feet up on the desk. Today my friend wanted to see the shoe, I took it off but didn't have a shoe horn on me, due to the sweat or swelling mid afternoon I actually had a struggle getting them back on without crushing the heel. I just don't ring a shoehorn to work, so there was no option to go any other way. I'm considering going down a half size on my next pair, but I don't want to be slave to a shoehorn if I am out and happen to take off my loafers.

Also, had the person in the shoe department at Nordstrom have a look. She looked at them while I was standing still and I showed her how I can move my heel. She expressed concern that it will get looser the longer I wear them, but then I showed her my walk and how the heels don't slip while walking, and I mentioned a few days of wear have actually made the slippage in stride almost entirely gone. She then checked my toe and the fit and told me definitely stick with the 12, and that an 11.5 would be too tight. Cold foot I can slip them on, but I choose to use a horn.

So next pair, 11.5 and go snug? Or stick with the 12, have a little wiggle, and ad a tongue pad if I want it tight? 11.75 would be perfect.

Lastly, these loafers mentioned above are said to be "true to size" and I put my foot on the measuring tool today and it said 12. Tried (and bought) on some AE Park Avenues and the sales girl said the 12 looked right, even with those I had slippage while walking. She seemed really puzzled when I pointed it out. I assume this will resolve on those with a few wears, just like the loafers did. I blame the slippage on those to the low heel box, heavy (stiff) soles, and the socks I had- anything tighter would have hurt my foot when laced..

Last edited:

JDubbs

Reaction score
No, I'm not. Why?

I have conflicting info... A woman working in the shoe dept told me not to step into an 11.5, and I have a 12 but got blisters from slippage at first (seems to be resolved, but I'm not trekking far in loafers intentionally). I don't see what the fuss is about mate, don't respond if you can't drop the knowledge. I will admit, your response made me laugh, but didn't really help. Yeah, maybe I am over-analyzing a bit, but I'm on the right place to do that from what I've seen thus far (when in Rome...).

Anyone qualified to throw an opinion is welcome. Apologies in advance if the case notes are mega-detailed, I wrapped a big project and my writing style is stuck verbose mode for about 2 more weeks.

Here, this will help:
Summary version - I'm about to drop a rack on some loafers and don't want to buy the wrong size. 12's I already own slip on and off nicely, still using a shoe horn because I don't clear the heel ever like slippers or anything. Walking slippage decreased after a few days on size 12, never stepped out of them in stride even when new, although loafer socks seemed to increase slippage and annoyed me, got some blisters on the heel when first day out (w/loafer socks) because I got forced into a long walk with friends. Want to wear loafer socks so got some tongue pads, but honestly might rip them out, will give them time though to flatten a bit & see how it goes. According to a shoe dept employee that evaluated the fit if I go 11.5 I will be too tight, but advice searching these forums states otherwise. Everywhere local sucks, I need or order online, hoping to get it right. Would be grateful for advice.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a loafer that's a bit snug to one that's a bit loose. Snug is fine; tight is bad. In my experience, a snug loafer will get a bit looser over time as you break it in and will mold to your foot a bit. A looser fitting loafer won't necessarily do this as well.

JDubbs

Reaction score

I prefer a loafer that's a bit snug to one that's a bit loose. Snug is fine; tight is bad. In my experience, a snug loafer will get a bit looser over time as you break it in and will mold to your foot a bit. A looser fitting loafer won't necessarily do this as well.

Thanks, I think based on that I'll give the 11.5 a shot. Worst case I end up returning it and going back to a 12.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads