• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Jantzen poll...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one is only for those who have ordered from Ricky. I am just trying to get a sense of how many of us had such a bad customer-service experience as odoreater and others in another thread...

EDIT: just a clarification: if your order has not arrived yet, but has been ordered less than 10 weeks ago, it does not qualify for answers 2, 3 or 4.

16520Man

Reaction score
I'm batting one for two.

I placed to concurrent orders as a test: one by fax and one by emailed PDF, both on April 13. I received only the PDF shirt on June 12. The shirt is lovely.

I have since placed an email order for three more.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16520Man
I'm batting one for two.

I placed to concurrent orders as a test: one by fax and one by emailed PDF, both on April 13. I received only the PDF shirt on June 12. The shirt is lovely.

I have since placed an email order for three more.

Was it the same order sent via fax and email? i.e. for the same shirt (fabric, measurements...) ?

16520Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Was it the same order sent via fax and email? i.e. for the same shirt (fabric, measurements...) ?

Nope. Different fabrics.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Is it possible for a Hong Kong reader to go to the Jantzen (described as dirty and messy) and ask Ricky face-to-face what the problem is with customer service?

Isn't globetrotter visiting him in HK this week? we may get some insight from him...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one with #4. I've ordered shirts, gotten confirmation from Ricky through e-mail, and never received them. I'm not bitter about it or anything, I completely understand the nature of his business. I've just simply chosen to take my business elsewhere.

TomW

Reaction score
I've ordered on 4 occassions. My longest wait was 8 weeks, each order has been for 3-4 shirts per order. I placed my most recent order 3 weeks ago, Ricky e-mailed me the next day that one fabric was out of stock, I wrote him back the next day with a new choice, he again responded in a day or two and said he'd get the shirts right out - I expect to get them when I get them.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I guess I'm the only one with #4. I've ordered shirts, gotten confirmation from Ricky through e-mail, and never received them. I'm not bitter about it or anything, I completely understand the nature of his business. I've just simply chosen to take my business elsewhere.

Were you ever charged for this order? If so, that would mean the shipment got lost. If not, that simply means that Ricky completely dropped the ball on that one...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Were you ever charged for this order? If so, that would mean the shipment got lost. If not, that simply means that Ricky completely dropped the ball on that one...

No, I was never charged for any of my orders.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always received my shirts and have always been able to reach and talk to Ricky on the phone. He has also looked at fit photos and offered suggestions via email.

I don't understand why so much controversy with Jantzen. His prices are very low and accordingly, he couldn't offer a similar level of customer that a full scale, US located maker like CEGO can. Why does this suprise people so much. You are outsourcing the making of the shirt, but take full responsibility for fit, fabric selection, details, etc.

If you need more from a maker, stay away from Jantzen and will end up disappointed.

If you aren't located near a maker, don't mind experimenting with fit and are willing to take responsibility for communication and sometime nudging the maker, Jantzen might be for you.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I have always received my shirts and have always been able to reach and talk to Ricky on the phone. He has also looked at fit photos and offered suggestions via email.

I don't understand why so much controversy with Jantzen. His prices are very low and accordingly, he couldn't offer a similar level of customer that a full scale, US located maker like CEGO can. Why does this suprise people so much. You are outsourcing the making of the shirt, but take full responsibility for fit, fabric selection, details, etc.

If you need more from a maker, stay away from Jantzen and will end up disappointed.

If you aren't located near a maker, don't mind experimenting with fit and are willing to take responsibility for communication and sometime nudging the maker, Jantzen might be for you.

Who's surprised? We all know what you just told us and it doesn't surprise anyone. It's not like we don't realize that by offering such a cheap shirt we have to sacrifice in other areas (e.g., customer service). Some people just don't mind putting up with it and some people do.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
And that's the issue. If I were in New York and could get Carl to make me some shirts, I'd probably buy 10 from him. I'd even do self-measure or send him one of my Jantzens that fits how I like, but my understanding is Carl only sells to people whom he can see and measure in person. Thus, I'm stuck with self-measuring and going with an overseas vendor.

Sure, I can go to my local men's store and order from Individualized Shirts, but then I'm paying $180 each, and I'm being measured by someone who's just sending my measurements out to someone else. That's not like using Carl, and I don't have any other options.

I figure I'll start ordering 3-4 shirts at a time, several times a year now that my sizing is perfectly to my liking. Now that I have a decent number of shirts in my regular rotation, I could care less about timing.

All that being said: If Hemrajani, CEGO, or any number of other vendors can measure you in person and provide a shirt for $100 - $150, then that's probably a great option. Quite frankly, I'll never buy another OTR shirt in my life. All of the other options make any OTR solution laughable by comparison.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The results of the poll are scary... so far less than 60% of the respondents have consistently received all the shirts they ordered...
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads