1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Another Jantzen poll...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Jun 27, 2006.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

...and i may add: these guys (ricky, david, 3rd guy) spends much of their time with walk-ins. the 4 times i went there last week, i've never seen resting or sitting down. its totaly organized chaos in there. you can't even have the 3 chaps working at the same time in there, there'd be no space left.

2. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I've always received my shirts (though am still waiting on my most recent order), but I think that I've sent a follow up e-mail or called on nearly every single order, always after a month or two.
    My experience exactly, to the word.

3. hklouis

hklouis Member

just looked at the stats..and currently only 40 users have voted..
    from reading other posts..i would have imagined more..
    not sure if users are simply not bothering to vote...or jantzen really don't have that many online customers.

4. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

I have yet to order, but I do plan to. However, my research across AAAC and here has produced the following concensus:

1. If you have not received an email confirming the order after a couple weeks, give Ricky a call.

2. If you have received an email confirming the order, but have not received your order, and 4-5 weeks have passed, gvie Ricky a call.

The solution for those who have yet to receive shirts seems very simple to me; give them a call. Don't rely on email; as I am sure it will not get read as quickly as you'd like it to, if at all.

Anyone else here confirm my findings?

5. mumbojumbo

mumbojumbo Senior member

I have yet to order, but I do plan to. However, my research across AAAC and here has produced the following concensus:

1. If you have not received an email confirming the order after a couple weeks, give Ricky a call.

2. If you have received an email confirming the order, but have not received your order, and 4-5 weeks have passed, gvie Ricky a call.

Anyone else here confirm my findings?

Pretty accurate observations.

But would anyone call this "innovative customer relationships" (source: www jantzentailor com)? [​IMG]

6. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

Pretty accurate observations. But would anyone call this "innovative customer relationships"? [​IMG]
    While most of us are used to a certain way business is handled, I've noticed that a lot of Asian businesses, especially smaller ones, establish their own definition of customer service. Here in the US, my experiences with both small and big businesses is that they do want to please the customer as much as possible. The old addage, "the customer is always right" as disappeared with most businesses, likely due to increasing dishonesty with its customers, especially in regards to product returns, legal threats, etc. I've worked retail before and there are so many blatant lies from customers wanting to return a product, stating it did not work; sometimes even when the warning label on the box tells you not to use the product in that fashion. So while we perceive a perfect relationship being able to depend on Ricky to respond to customer emails, make our shirts, and then ship them to us in a timely manner, Ricky's perspective, which is the one that counts, is likely different. To him, it's possible his end of the bargain is filling the orders he has and shipping them as soon as possible, as well as the walk-in customer orders. Even with modern technology, orders can be lost. Sure, it sounds like Ricky could do a bunch of different things; but would that work for him? If it doesn't, like any business, he's not going to do it. What may work for the customer sometimes doesn't work for the business; and when that happens, the business has to do what will work for them. Like I've said, this is different than what most customers are used to, but there is a difference in the way businesses across the world operate.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I would say - simply wait 4-6 weeks after order. If your shirts have not been delivered, give Ricky a call. E-mail confirmations are very rare, but that's not a problem. If they haven't arrived in another 4-6 weeks, give Ricky a call. Repeat.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ok, changing my vote. Five shirts arrived today. I won't be trying them on until I go home tonight - and assuming no gross errors won't be able to tell that much until I wash them once or twice - they look great. I really do love that janzten fabric selection. I do notice out of the box that all of the shirts have "normal" buttons whereas I'm pretty sure I asked for the "nature-made" funky starfish-pattern buttons on the one white shirt in the order, but I can live with that (not that I have much choice, practically speaking).

9. hanker565

hanker565 Senior member

When did you order, lawyerdad?

I ordered in early May and received an "order will be shipped ASAP" email on May 23rd but still nothing.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Congrats! Still waiting....

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

When did you order, lawyerdad?

I ordered in early May and received an "order will be shipped ASAP" email on May 23rd but still nothing.

I ordered March 30. (Prior orders have been processed much more quickly than this.) Sometime around the 2nd week of April, I emailed Ricky to request a small modification to the order. After a couple of days he responded and acknowledged receiving my order. (Did not say it would be sent ASAP.) Having gotten no response to a couple of follow-up emails in (I believe) early June or so, I faxed a polite inquiry some time last week. Monday night I called and spoke to Ricky, who told me they'd been sent "two days ago". Today they arrived.

12. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Are there any forum members in HK who could actually serve as a go-between for shipping? As m@t pointed out (and I've experienced) the turnaround is really quick when you're in the store. Perhaps if there were a way to submit online for in-store pickup, the benevolent forumgoer could go pick up the week old orders and ship them (being properly compensated, of course)?

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Are there any forum members in HK who could actually serve as a go-between for shipping? As m@t pointed out (and I've experienced) the turnaround is really quick when you're in the store. Perhaps if there were a way to submit online for in-store pickup, the benevolent forumgoer could go pick up the week old orders and ship them (being properly compensated, of course)?
    The same thing had occurred to me. I'd be concerned, however, that there would be a potential danger of the designated picker-upper being subjected to some "mission creep" or otherwise finding himself unduly imposed-upon. (Which is not to say that, if someone's a glutton for punishment, I might not consider being an imposer.)
    A middle ground might be someone in local who'd be willing to drop by, say, every few weeks or once a month with a list of orders placed by forum members to check on their status of older orders and make sure they haven't been lost, etc. That might help keep things on track (except for odoreater, who obviously has been cursed by the shirt gods) while avoiding potential stickiness and hassle that could be associated with somebody actually having to take physical custody of the shirts, deal with shipping, etc.

14. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Ok, changing my vote. Five shirts arrived today. I won't be trying them on until I go home tonight - and assuming no gross errors won't be able to tell that much until I wash them once or twice - they look great. I really do love that janzten fabric selection. I do notice out of the box that all of the shirts have "normal" buttons whereas I'm pretty sure I asked for the "nature-made" funky starfish-pattern buttons on the one white shirt in the order, but I can live with that (not that I have much choice, practically speaking).

Ooh, you got lucky. I got those buttons on my second order. They are no good.

Okay, perhaps they are exactly what you wanted, but to me they should only be used on blouses, and definitely have no place for a man's dress shirt. First, there is no punctured buttonhole, and the thread is sewn to the loop underneath the button. Second, the bottons are very large compared to the regular buttons -- very difficult time fitting them through buttonholes. I can see the buttons being cool, possibly for a club shirt, but I think considering your screen name is lawyerdad, it's not what you expected. I was pretty surprised myself at how different they were compared to what I was expecting.

PS - if my description is just what the doctor ordered, please ignore everything I've said.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ooh, you got lucky. I got those buttons on my second order. They are no good.

Okay, perhaps they are exactly what you wanted, but to me they should only be used on blouses, and definitely have no place for a man's dress shirt. First, there is no punctured buttonhole, and the thread is sewn to the loop underneath the button. Second, the bottons are very large compared to the regular buttons -- very difficult time fitting them through buttonholes. I can see the buttons being cool, possibly for a club shirt, but I think considering your screen name is lawyerdad, it's not what you expected. I was pretty surprised myself at how different they were compared to what I was expecting.

PS - if my description is just what the doctor ordered, please ignore everything I've said.

LOL. No, I happen to disagree with you somewhat on substance, but I very much appreciate the intent behind your comments. I had those buttons on the first Jantzen shirt I ordered. I think they're pretty cool (so does the wife, btw). They are a little more difficult to fit through the button-holes, but not impossibly so. I wouldn't want all my shirts to have them, but for a touch of variety on a white shirt I like them - I requested them (assuming I remembered to do so, which I think but am not certain I did) on only one of the five shirts in this order. No biggie, though.
    Actually, it occurs to me that if I were still at a point in my life where I had a need for such things as "club shirts", oversized, unconventional buttons that are harder to undo (especially in the dark after a few drinks) might be less than ideal in that context as well . . .[​IMG]

16. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

LOL. No, I happen to disagree with you somewhat on substance, but I very much appreciate the intent behind your comments. I had those buttons on the first Jantzen shirt I ordered. I think they're pretty cool (so does the wife, btw). They are a little more difficult to fit through the button-holes, but not impossibly so. I wouldn't want all my shirts to have them, but for a touch of variety on a white shirt I like them - I requested them (assuming I remembered to do so, which I think but am not certain I did) on only one of the five shirts in this order. No biggie, though.
    Actually, it occurs to me that if I were still at a point in my life where I had a need for such things as "club shirts", oversized, unconventional buttons that are harder to undo (especially in the dark after a few drinks) might be less than ideal in that context as well . . .[​IMG]

Well, there's always role-play re: clubbing... Besides, if they are hard to unbutton, the girl may get frustrated and just rip them off (note that the buttons are definitely not as securely fastened as the conventionals), which is pretty hot to me.

But yes, if you have had them before and like them, that is good. I guess my mistake was that I got the buttons with a lilac herringbone shirt. And while I have no problems wearing "girlie" clothes, it really did feel too much. I ended up replacing the buttons with the extra MOP buttons that came with my Made in Italy RL shirts. So it ended up with button upgrades, and a happy ending for all.

But congrats on your shirts! My order of 7 got an ASAP confirmation a week ago, so I am counting down the days.

17. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

So, lawyerdad, how were your shirts? Any thoughts on the fabric? I'm wearing my JKT00017 shirt today and love it.

18. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I just received two shirts I ordered in mid-May. The charge appeared on my Amex in early June. With previous orders, I've usually received the shirts before the bill.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So, lawyerdad, how were your shirts? Any thoughts on the fabric? I'm wearing my JKT00017 shirt today and love it.

Looks nice chorse123 - I'm wearing my Checkers190 today [​IMG]

20. hanker565

hanker565 Senior member

Received my first order today, and I'm impressed. I'm kind of regretting ordering a few $65 MyTailor shirts last week when I assumed the Jantzen wasn't coming anytime soon.