• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Jantzen Fit Question

blee017

Reaction score
I just got my first Jantzen order and am so happy about it that I can't to place the second one. Before I do so, I would like to ask your opinion about the fit and a couple of issues I found. Here is my order. The fabric I chose is JKT 0089 - white very small herringbone and I am happy with it. It's very soft and has a nice sheen. Oh, by the way, don't forget to save the order confirmation page. You will not get an email detailing your oder. I didn't and now have to type it all in.
smile.gif
Shirt Length: 30.5 Chest: 37 Waist: 35.5 Hip: 38 Shoulder: 17 Sleeve Length: 32 Neck: 15 Height: 5 feet 7 Weight: 150 lbs Wrist Size ( No Allowance): 7 Special for Thicker Watch: Left Hand 1/2" Bigger Shirt Fitting: Form (4"-6" Allowance) Share of Shoulder: Regular Shoulder Shade of Body: Short Neck Collar Style: Collar Style # T3 Collar Stay: Set-In Collar Stay Interlining: Regular Tie space: 1/8" (Standard) Back Height: 1 5/8" (Standard) Stitching for Collar & Cuff: Edge Stitching Collar Point: Same As Our Standard Color of Button Hole and Button Thread: Self Colour Cuff Style: French Cuff Style #11D Contract Collar: Self Collar & Cuff Cuff Height: 2 3/4" (Standard) Pocket Style : Select one Number of Pocket: No Pocket Front Placket: Plain Front Width of Placket: 1 3/8 (Our Standard) Sleeve: Long Sleeve Sleeves **** Extra Button: Without Sleeves Extra Button Shirt Tail: Regular Tail Shoulder Pleat: Side Pleat Select one: Without Split Yoke Gusset Triangle Color: Self Colour Button Seclections:: Nature Designed 1.25 diameter (M.O.P.) Here are the front and back view. First, I think that it could do with longer sleeves, say by 1 inch. What do you think? Second, There is some extra fabric in the back of the neck. I am guessing that I should have specified "Square Shoulder" instead of regular shoulder. Am I right? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, too.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely lengthen the sleeves. I would suggest wearing this one a few times and washing it the way you always wash your shirts and then see how much the sleeves shrink. Adjust your next order accordingly.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Definitely lengthen the sleeves. I would suggest wearing this one a few times and washing it the way you always wash your shirts and then see how much the sleeves shrink. Adjust your next order accordingly.

I agree; after a few washings, those sleeves will shorten.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeve length looks pretty good with the arms at the sides. However, your left cuff seems to be a bit large as it is trying to swallow your left hand, just a bit. My sleeve length test is to simply raise my arms level, in front, to shoulder height and stretch them forward. I want the sleeve to have just enough excess material so that the cuff will stay right at the wrist. Your test is similar and indicates that you need at least an inch more sleeve. However, when you do increase the sleeve, it will be important to make sure that the cuff size is tight enough. You should also be sure of that measurement after the washing. However, if you choose button cuffs, it is not too difficult to move the buttons a quarter inch. Much more than that could cause some large misalignment of the pattern along the placquet sides - if your shirt fabric is patterned.

You might also want to decide about the height/size of the arm hole. Pictures do not really show that, just something else to check before another order.

pinchi22

Reaction score
When did you place your order (placed my first order 5 weeks ago with almost the same measurements
smile.gif
)?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I don't have much to add but a recommendation: Next time you should get a split yoke.
wink.gif

blee017

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys.
I washed and ironed the shirt once. I will give it a few more and see if it shrinks.
I tried to align the holes in the cuffs when I iron them without paying attention to the cuff sizes. They do seem rather large. Is it the right way to iron french cuff?
I will certainly get a split yoke next time. I didn't (and still don't) know what good it does.
smile.gif

I placed my order on Aug. 13 and got the shirt a few days ago. So the total turn-around time was about three weeks. I found a typo in my order right after I placed it and I emailed Ricky to correct it. He did reply and confirm the correction in a couple of days. I didn't get a shipping notification, however. The shirt just showed up.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally only get split yoke with patterned shirts. Split yoke for plain colored shirts don't seem to do it aesthetically for me

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blee017
Thanks for the tips, guys.
I tried to align the holes in the cuffs when I iron them without paying attention to the cuff sizes. They do seem rather large. Is it the right way to iron french cuff?

Iron the entire cuff flat. When you wear take it out of the closet, or put it on, fold the cuff back then. Ironing it folded will create a crease and can damage the shirt.

blee017

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot.
smile.gif

The cuffs were ironed folded when I got the shirt so I just ironed them that way without thinking.
Thanks a lot!

As to high arm holes, how specific do I need to be? Do I need to say something like "I'd like the arm holes to be an inch higher" or can I just say "high arm holes"?
Here are a few pics in the arm hole area.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, when did you order/recieve??

Alfa

Reaction score
Wow, 3 weeks?? I submitted my first order on July 7th, my cc was charged July 26th and I am still waiting. Should I be alarmed? I am going to e-mail Ricky right now.

blee017

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Out of curiosity, when did you order/recieve??
Augusto, I ordered on August 13 and received the shirt last week (in fact, I mentioned it in a reply.
smile.gif
).
I never called Ricky or emailed him except for the one asking him to change a measurement figure right after placing the order.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alfa
Wow, 3 weeks?? I submitted my first order on July 7th, my cc was charged July 26th and I am still waiting. Should I be alarmed? I am going to e-mail Ricky right now.
I'd be less concerned about the delay since your order - well within comon Jantzen experience - than with the passage of time since your card was charged. Generally, I don't think they charge you until your order is ready to go out, so you might want to make sure there wasn't a delivery problem.
FWIW, I received today an order placed in mid-August and confirmed around August 26.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might not appreciate the suggestion of an undershirt, but a nipple seems to be showing through. Many people don't want to see that. Of course, an undershirt will affect the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads