• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Jantzen Critique

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Please let me know what you think of my first Jantzen. I think the chest is a little tight but otherwise not a bad fit. Apologies for the blurry pics, the treo camera is not great. Will post better pics if I get my hands on a better camera.

2001072006234578033_rs.jpg

2001034913550365460_rs.jpg

2001075264086965288_rs.jpg

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
FYI - Here are the measurements I submitted:

Shirt Length: 34.5 "
Chest: 45"
Waist: 41"
Hip: 41.5"
Shoulder: 20"
Sleeve Length: 36.5"
Neck: 18"
Height: 6'1.5"
Weight: 240 lbs
Wrist Size ( No Allowance): 7.5"
Special for Thicker Watch: Left Hand 1/4" Bigger
Shirt Fitting: Form (4"-6" Allowance)
Share of Shoulder: Square Shoulder
Shade of Body: Big Chest
Collar Style: Collar Style # 3T, (English Regular Spread w/ Higher Band)
Collar Stay: Removable Collar Stay
Interlining: Regular
Tie space: 1/4"(Standard)
Back Height: 1 5/8" (Standard)
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: 1/4" (Our Standard)
Collar Point: Same As Our Standard
Color of Button Hole and Button Thread: Self Colour
Cuff Style: Single Cuff Style #5S (Round Double Button)
Contract Collar: Self Collar & Cuff
Cuff Height: 2 3/4" (Standard)
Pocket Style : Select one
Number of Pocket: No Pocket
Front Placket: Plain Front
Width of Placket: 1 3/8 (Our Standard)
Sleeve: Long Sleeve
Sleeves **** Extra Button: Without Sleeves **** Extra Buttons
Shirt Tail: Regular Tail
Shoulder Pleat: No Pleat
Select one: Without Split Yoke
Gusset Triangle Color: Red
Button Seclections:: Nature Designed 1.25 diameter (M.O.P.)
Monogram Style: Monogram Style #29
Monogram Placing: Inside the Yoke

raley

Reaction score
Where is mine???? I got my confirmation and everything, but haven't been charged yet... I am so jealous.

Anyway, what is going on with the back? It looks like it is puffing out in the middle or something. Sleeves seem a bit short, especially so once you wash them. Also maybe take in the sides a bit? It looks like the waist is puffing out a bit. Also you might want to do "With Sleeves ****" next time to get the extra button just up from the cuff (what is that called?).

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What are you guys thinking when you take your own measurments.

The chest is at least 3" too small. This will then increase the armhole which is also too small. The sleeves should also increase a bit. And yes the sleeves are way too short. The cuffs could also be a bit small. You did not bother to button the collar so who knows what that is like.

I can 't understand why the guys at jantzen don't question the measurements.
There is no way a guy who is 6' 1" 240 has only a 45" chest. And form fitting?

Carl

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they have the resources to question

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
With Jantzen's prices, it isn't so bad to experiment. The website said to measure your actual chest, not your shirt size. I thought my chest measured 45". With a 4-6" allowance that would make the chest 49" - 51".

I plan to send pictures with my next order but I agree about at least 3 extra chest inches.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They actually have questioned measurements before. The first time I ordered a shirt for my brother Ricky wrote to question the measurements as my brother is 6'1" 160 lbs., and has 19" shoulders, 39" chest and 31" waist. I told him the measurements were correct and the shirt turned out perfectly.

abc123

Reaction score
Has anyone tried just measuring a well fitting shirt and specifying those dimensions to him? I have a shirt or two that fit me perfectly, but I don't want to send them to him. If I measure the shirt correctly, it should be a foolproof way to get the size I want, correct?

Also, I'd like to order a few shirts the first time, wth different collar types. Is this possible using the order form on the site? I looked at it and it didn't seem so...

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread...

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
Has anyone tried just measuring a well fitting shirt and specifying those dimensions to him? I have a shirt or two that fit me perfectly, but I don't want to send them to him. If I measure the shirt correctly, it should be a foolproof way to get the size I want, correct?

Also, I'd like to order a few shirts the first time, wth different collar types. Is this possible using the order form on the site? I looked at it and it didn't seem so...

You can measure a shirt you already own, but I would recommend just sending it to him. I mailed a T&A shirt for my first order, specifying one minor change, and he received it no problem. Shipping cost me ~$14. Also, Ricky will probably ask you to just try one shirt for the first order. Even if he's copying a shirt, it may not turn out exactly as you wish. Just be patient...

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
You can measure a shirt you already own, but I would recommend just sending it to him. I mailed a T&A shirt for my first order, specifying one minor change, and he received it no problem. Shipping cost me ~$14. Also, Ricky will probably ask you to just try one shirt for the first order. Even if he's copying a shirt, it may not turn out exactly as you wish. Just be patient...
How long did it take, from sending your shirt out to getting it back? The shirts that fit perfectly are ones I don't really want to go without for long, as they are my "interview shirts", and I have a few things that should be coming up soon. I suppose I could send him a shirt that fits well, and specify that he just put a different type collar and cuffs on the copied version?

coachvu

Reaction score
How long did it take, from sending your shirt out to getting it back? The shirts that fit perfectly are ones I don't really want to go without for long, as they are my "interview shirts", and I have a few things that should be coming up soon. I suppose I could send him a shirt that fits well, and specify that he just put a different type collar and cuffs on the copied version?

Well, don't expect it back soon. I mailed my shirt on Sept. 22. The fabric I requested was out of stock, so Ricky and I played e-mail tag a bit. I've received a final confirmation, but my credit card hasn't been charged yet. At the minimum, you should expect to be without your copy shirt for two months. Also, I did what you mentioned; I used the copy shirt for measurements and specified cuffs and collar.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Who says the shirt you are measuring fits correctly! You may just have him make shirts that have the same problem as your favorite shirt.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
You should see the shirt now that I washed it.

Want to measure me shirtmaven?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirtmaven's business is making shirts.

His shirts are a great value, but since they are made right here in the first world they are more expensive than Jantzen by a factor of 2.5 or more.

So I doubt he would help you go to the competition.

If you want to get pro measurements, to go a tailor and pay him for his services.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
I know shirtmaven is in the shirt business. I was asking him to measure in jest.

Also, I am well aware of the precision that can be had from a custom shirtmaker and the cost. The reason I choose Jantzen is to avoid this cost even if it comes at the expense of a little precision. All I am seeking is advice on how to get closer to a good fit. Imagine the savings with Jantzen if you get a pattern that is a good fit within the first four shirts. Another 20 shirts would then cost you little more than $800. This is a great savings from CEGO or T & A.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads