• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Jantzen Critique:Need Advice

blaidan

Reaction score
Ok, this is the second shirt I received from Jantzen. I tweaked this order to make adjustments but it still is not perfect. I lengthened the sleeves but now they are a bit too long. Also I think the shoulders or something about how the shirt looks in the back is not correct. (too much material). Can anyone help in adjusting the measurements. The area that most concerns me is circled in the attached picture. Should the arm holes be raised and made smaller? I'm just not sure how to correct the problems. I am very happy with the shirt and I love the choice of fabric but I want the next one to be closer to perfect.
Thanks in advance for your help.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blaidan
Ok, this is the second shirt I received from Jantzen. I tweaked this order to make adjustments but it still is not perfect. I lengthened the sleeves but now they are a bit too long. Also I think the shoulders or something about how the shirt looks in the back is not correct. (too much material). Can anyone help in adjusting the measurements. The area that most concerns me is circled in the attached picture. Should the arm holes be raised and made smaller? I'm just not sure how to correct the problems. I am very happy with the shirt and I love the choice of fabric but I want the next one to be closer to perfect.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I see nothing that can be improved. But if you attach the picture, I may be prepared to change my mind.
rimshot.gif

blaidan

Reaction score
Thanks, I 'll need to start over. Having problems posting the pics.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blaidan
Thanks, I 'll need to start over. Having problems posting the pics.
There's a faq about posting pics floating around. I'm no expert myself.

blaidan

Reaction score
Ok, pics are up. I had to shrink the file size.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I might bring the shoulders in a touch. I'm not sure I agree about the sleeves. Wash it a couple of times and see what you think -- I think they might be fine. And especially if you decide to bring the shoulders in, I'd keep the sleeve length constant until you know you're done tinkering with the shoulders. You can probably take the waist in a bit, and that might reduce the excess fabric issue. Alternatively, you can try going down one on Jantzen's "fit" scale (loose/comfortable/form/tight or whatever it is).
Raising the bottom of the armhole might be worth a try. It's a pretty standard adjustment on jantzen shirts, since they tend to have relatively big armholes. You want the armhole as small/high as you can get it without feeling like it's binding. That might also make you happier with the sleeve, since I'm guessing it's more the "bagginess" of the sleeve that's bothering you than the length per so. (But definitely wash it at least twice before messing with sleeve length again - a bit too long is better than a bit too short.)

blaidan

Reaction score
Thanks. Do I just tell Ricky I want to raise the arm holes slightly, because I don't recall seeing any place on the order form to indicate the armhole height or size.

montmorency

Reaction score
The shirt looks big on you to me. The shoulder seam does not end at your natural shoulder line. The waist and chest are a bit large. The sleeves may be a bit long, but I'm not sure about that one.

What type of fit did you specify - form, regular, or something else?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
do wash it and wear it a couple of times. then reach foreward with both arms. this should tell you if the body is too loose or tight. a possable half inch in on the shoulders. and a bit higher armholes. your right shoulder is lower than the left. tell them how much.

blaidan

Reaction score
Thanks. I think if I adjust the armholes this may the fix I need.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shirt. Your face looks a bit blotchy, however.

blaidan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Shorten the yoke measurement by 1".
That should solve some problems.
You may also want to reduce the chest by an 1"

Carl

When you say shorten the yoke by 1", does that mean I reduce the shoulder measurement by 1" or do I need to specify to Ricky to shorten the yoke by 1"?
Thanks for your advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads