Another..."Is my Sportcoat too short" thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sean anon, Jul 11, 2013.

1. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

I know opinions differ but I am OK wearing a casual sportcoat shorter. But this might be too short?

Am I pulling this new cotton linen coat off?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

I know two rules of thumb. 1. A jacket should completely cover your butt. 2. With your arms at your sides, a jacket should reach your 1st set of knuckles. You don't appear to be meeting either of these criteria but they are, of course, rules of thumb and not binding arbitration. I think there is a "fit feedback" thread on here that might be more appropriate and might get you better responses.

3. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I posted on the other thread

I know the rules from searching around but also that casual sportcoats especially can break these which I am OK with. I was just looking for feedback as to whether this looks off balance because it is 1 inch shorter than my shortest

With current fashion it is pretty hard to find sportcoats like this that is a traditional length.

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

With current fashion it is pretty hard to find sportcoats like this that is a traditional length.
    [/quote]

Buy a Long, Duh!

5. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Yes that occurred to me

It is 3/4-1 inch longer according to the maker and sadly $170 more because I bought this on deep discount at Nordstroms and they don't have a L

Maybe I will keep watching it but I was hoping this would work out

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

It's short in the currently trendy way but not too egregious. If you like it, wear it. It's not classically proportioned, but I think it looks alright for something sporty.

7. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

1. Some neopolitan jackets do not fulfill this and there is nothing wrong with that
    2. I think its you should be able to cup the bottom with your hands, never heard the knuckles rule but i guess that makes sense too

But overall even though some short "trendy" jackets or classical neopolitan ones dont really cover the butt this jacket is way to short even by those standards

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Far too short to keep, send it back. If you can't burn it.

9. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

LOL. So I assume you don't feel 1 more inch with a L can salvage this

10. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Yeah, I'd agree with this assessment. It is too short, but not to the extent that it is unwearable as it fits current trends (I've seen far worse). However, in a few years, when the slim-fit, short jacket look runs its course, you'll probably want to burn it.

11. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

It's not crazy short and more than acceptable for the casual wear you describe. There's a lot more tolerance for sport coats than suit jackets - at least in my book. If you like it - wear it.

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

This. It's not like you bought the wrong size chest or the sleeves are comically short.

Most posters here are ABC by the book classic look and won't stray from that.

I don't like my own jackets to be that short but it's not like it's a "must return" for you, especially since it's a casual jacket.

That said, I think if you went with the 1" extra on the long and then had the sleeves tailored it might look a bit better.

13. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to get the L which is an inch longer. I hope this helps.

I am 37 now and am moving away from trendy to staples but it is a transition

14. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

As is said, ignorance is bliss. I would have never worried about this before but now would be looking at the length each time I wore this thing because of the knowledge gained here

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Another inch would not be bad, but it's fine for a casual jacket.