• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Interview Question

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a job interview at work and I didn't get the job. Should I ask why I didn't get the job or ask for some constructive criticism or just let it go?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, any good recruitment process will give you feedback after interviews.

Especially if you are a current employee going for a new role.

K

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that they had the person in mind that they wanted to hire and just went through the motions of interviewing me (others?).

It was a new position and they interviewed me on Friday and called me Monday morning to let me know that they gave it to someone else.

I don't really trust HR to be honest (I despise HR for the most part) but I think I'll call just to find out and see what they say.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you ask when they called you and told you they got someone else?

Forget it, dude. You will only convince them they made the right choice in not hiring you.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"thank you for taking the time to interview me. while i admit i'm disappointed at not being selected, i am thankful for the opportunity to be considered. i am still very much interested in achieving a similar position, as it fits in very well with my career aspirations and i think i can add value in this type of role. is there any feedback you can give me to make me a stronger candidate in the future?"

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
"thank you for taking the time to interview me. while i admit i'm disappointed at not being selected, i am thankful for the opportunity to be considered. i am still very much interested in achieving a similar position, as it fits in very well with my career aspirations and i think i can add value in this type of role. is there any feedback you can give me to make me a stronger candidate in the future?"

This. ^

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi

+2

You may get something back, you may not, but lets face it, what do you have to loose?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Why didn't you ask when they called you and told you they got someone else? Forget it, dude. You will only convince them they made the right choice in not hiring you.
The reason he did not ask is, I imagine, the bit of shock, immediate poor feeling when you get this call. Unfortunately, you are usually only interested in saying ya, thank you, and getting of the phone. I am not convinced it is the right time to ask. It could come off as confrontational. You just told me I did not get the job, and with no time to reflect, I am challenging it. Give it some time, and ask for feedback.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
The reason he did not ask is, I imagine, the bit of shock, immediate poor feeling when you get this call. Unfortunately, you are usually only interested in saying ya, thank you, and getting of the phone. I am not convinced it is the right time to ask. It could come off as confrontational. You just told me I did not get the job, and with no time to reflect, I am challenging it. Give it some time, and ask for feedback.
I wouldn't say shock, but you feel deflated if you really wanted that job. If I am hiring someone though I would want them to think fast and not have indecision/hesitation. Either way if they were looking to hire someone else... you really think they are going to tell him what he did wrong? He probably hit the ball out of the park, but HR already made the decision to not hire him, and were just going through the motions. Lets try an experiment. Tck13 call HR and post the critiques (If HR could remember) here.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Either way if they were looking to hire someone else... you really think they are going to tell him what he did wrong?

Sure, why not? Sometimes I'm limited, for various reasons, in what I can say in response to questions like that. But when it's appropriate to do so, I'm happy to give people constructive feedback. Sometimes there are particular types of experience a person can seek out, or particular abilities they can demonstrate, that will make them a stronger candidate the next time. If they take that feedback and follow up on it, it can be a win-win. Even if it's not something that's easily remedied -- e.g., we really prefer someone with such-and-such degree for that position -- that's still useful information.

Obviously, this approach is a bit easier, and is more likely to produce long-term mutual benefit, with internal candidates. But even with external candidates, I'm happy to provide whatever constructive feedback is appropriate in the particular situation.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Sure, why not? Sometimes I'm limited, for various reasons, in what I can say in response to questions like that. But when it's appropriate to do so, I'm happy to give people constructive feedback. Sometimes there are particular types of experience a person can seek out, or particular abilities they can demonstrate, that will make them a stronger candidate the next time. If they take that feedback and follow up on it, it can be a win-win. Even if it's not something that's easily remedied -- e.g., we really prefer someone with such-and-such degree for that position -- that's still useful information.

Obviously, this approach is a bit easier, and is more likely to produce long-term mutual benefit, with internal candidates. But even with external candidates, I'm happy to provide whatever constructive feedback is appropriate in the particular situation.

What if he did nothing wrong? He obviously believes they were going to hire someone else anyway, so they will just probably end up blowing smoke up his ass. Besides HR can problem pick up on the disdain he has for them, and maybe a little attitude change in his part would serve him better in life.

Originally Posted by Tck13
I don't really trust HR to be honest (I despise HR for the most part) but I think I'll call just to find out and see what they say.

I am basically going by some of the OP's quotes that is giving me a bit of insight of his mindset. I don't think calling HR will give him any new insight to improve his chances of getting hired. I could be wrong though.

Milpool

Reaction score
I have asked for feedback before, and it is kind of a game of chance whether or not you will get useful information.

One job, the information I got was "next time, make sure your application is in before the deadline, make sure you filled out the forms completely and honestly, and submit any additional supporting documents, if any, by the deadline as well. We can't offer any other feedback".

Other jobs, I have gotten really good feedback.

Honestly, it is rare that someone asks me why I did not hire them. New hires often ask me what they did or said that caused me to choose them, but rarely ask for feedback on what could have been better. I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone takes the initiative to ask for constructive criticism. It can be a good way to get on a list for future openings.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fairly common not to hear back from them at all if you didn't get the job. I have had this happen to countless friends, myself included. HR will talk up professionalism all day, but won't extend the common courtesy of shooting you an email or phone call.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'm pretty sure that they had the person in mind that they wanted to hire and just went through the motions of interviewing me (others?).

+1.
I had the same experience a few times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads