• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another ebay etiquette question

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
OK, so I just bought this Tumi garment bag off of ebay. The $25 shipping seemed high, so I kept my bid low. At the end of the auction I emailed the seller asking if he could ship USPS instead of UPS, and if the cost would be the same. He answered yes to both so I paid through paypal. This all happened over the last two days.

Today I get an email from him that shipping is an extra $14 because it's going to an overseas address. As some here may know, the APO system is set up specifically so that military members do not have to pay for overseas mail. My zip code is actually in NYC--very firmly within the parameters of "Will ship to United States." I sent a very polite email in return explaining the situation and that he could even include 'NY' in my address, to emphasize to the postal workers that he does not have to pay overseas shipping. I added that I would take him at his word that shipping would be the same cost.

At this point it is not yet a bad situation, but I sense that it is developing in that direction. I will keep the board informed, but I am not optimistic. I did get a reasonable deal, but am unwilling to pay the extra money on principle.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Tom

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
OK, so I just bought this Tumi garment bag off of ebay. The $25 shipping seemed high, so I kept my bid low. At the end of the auction I emailed the seller asking if he could ship USPS instead of UPS, and if the cost would be the same. He answered yes to both so I paid through paypal. This all happened over the last two days.

Today I get an email from him that shipping is an extra $14 because it's going to an overseas address. As some here may know, the APO system is set up specifically so that military members do not have to pay for overseas mail. My zip code is actually in NYC--very firmly within the parameters of "Will ship to United States." I sent a very polite email in return explaining the situation and that he could even include 'NY' in my address, to emphasize to the postal workers that he does not have to pay overseas shipping. I added that I would take him at his word that shipping would be the same cost.

At this point it is not yet a bad situation, but I sense that it is developing in that direction. I will keep the board informed, but I am not optimistic. I did get a reasonable deal, but am unwilling to pay the extra money on principle.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Tom

Strange. Actually, I remember sending some PC component to someone who was using an APO address and the USPS made me fill out the customs forms and I paid a little more. I am trying to find some references on the USPS site but no luck yet.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Addressing Military Mail 2.2.1 Overseas Address Overseas military addresses must conform to domestic addressing standards. The delivery line (the second line from the bottom in the address) must show the ship name, unit number, CMR or PSC number, and box number if assigned. The last line must contain the APO and FPO designation and the appropriate two-letter "state" abbreviation (AA, AE, or AP), followed by the ZIP+4 or 5-digit ZIP Code. AA, AE, and AP are used for addresses with the 3-digit ZIP Code prefixes 340, 090-098, and 962-966, respectively. In addition: a. Mail addressed to Army personnel must show full name, including first name and middle name or initial, and unit number. b. Mail addressed to Air Force personnel must show full name, including first name and middle name or initial, and PSC or unit number. c. Mail addressed to Navy and Marine Corps personnel must show full name, including first name and middle name or initial, and PSC number for shore-based units, or ship name. d. Mail sent to dependents residing in overseas areas must be addressed in care of the sponsor. 2.2.2 Geographic Address Mail showing a foreign city and country in addition to the military address is subject to the postage rates and conditions for international mail.
From what I gathered, military addresses are treated as domestic address for rates purposes.

WSW

Reaction score
I had to ship a package to an APO address a few months ago. You simply just have to make it clear to both the postal clerk who is taking your package as well as having it clear on the package itself that it is APO. They should then charge the domestic rate. $25 does seem a bit much to ship that garment bag, but it could be heavier than I think it looks.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nuke the bastard. He's in Atlanta. Probably hates the service he receives in fine dining establishments.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Nuke the bastard. He's in Atlanta. Probably hates the service he receives in fine dining establishments.

Does Waffle House count?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
LOL SG, Bill, any opinions on this one? With Tech in the CWS, I'll hold off for a couple of weeks at least.

Anyway, I got a clarification from him. When I paid through paypal, I gave him my APO in the notes section, but PayPal gave him my German address. Apparently he paid USPS online to ship to Germany without reading the note. He's going to try to work it out. We'll see how it goes. Ebay could make this kind of problem go away if they would let me input an APO for my shipping address
mad.gif

Tom

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inform ebay that they aren't supporting the troops.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The rates are the same as domestic packages. The only difference is that if the destination is overseas the seller has to fill out a customs form. Insist on the proper rate.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Situation resolved amicably, no tactical nuclear warheads needed. Will keep one in reserve in case Clemson beats Tech tonight. Anyone here from SC? If so, fair warning.

Tom

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about dealing with members of this forum not sending items after a month and a half, and not answering emails? I'm quite puzzled.

!luc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
How about dealing with members of this forum not sending items after a month and a half, and not answering emails? I'm quite puzzled.

!luc

Huh?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Huh?
It's another question regarding the original topic, nothing pertaining to members who have participated to this thread. Sorry if this is not clear enough.

!luc

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
It's another question regarding the original topic, nothing pertaining to members who have participated to this thread. Sorry if this is not clear enough.

!luc

Why be cryptic? What exactly is the issue? (Unless it's some drama that's already been hashed out ad nauseam on some other thread, in which case, never mind...)

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Situation resolved amicably, no tactical nuclear warheads needed. Will keep one in reserve in case Clemson beats Tech tonight. Anyone here from SC? If so, fair warning.

Tom

Go Jackets!

postcard12.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads