• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Death at Mavericks

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is about halfway between SC and SF. When there is a huge Pacific storm, eventually the waves at this break (it's not a beach) get enormous. Crazy people from all over the world fly in to surf it. Every few years, one of them dies. Every once in a while, somebody really famous dies.

RIP.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BADN1IDO44.DTL

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys seen Point Break? In the end of the movie when Bodhi decides to choose his own fate... would the best surfers in the world be able to survive a wave of that magnitude?

Anyways, RIP

airblaster503

Reaction score
They need to start allowing PWC's back out there, to damn dangerous for dudes to be out there paddling in without someone to help on a jet ski if they get caught in a big set.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RIP, but I have to say that when I read that this guy had a wife and kids I kind of feel
ffffuuuu.gif
. It's great to always be chasing the big wave, but at a certain point I think your responsibilities should take over...or else don't have a family. I dunno. Anyway, RIP.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
RIP, but I have to say that when I read that this guy had a wife and kids I kind of feel
ffffuuuu.gif
. It's great to always be chasing the big wave, but at a certain point I think your responsibilities should take over...or else don't have a family. I dunno. Anyway, RIP.

It cuts both ways - if you make a name for yourself as a big wave rider you get sponsorships and can start to make real money. This guy was just starting to get that kind of notoriety, so I'm sure that plays into it. Firefighters and cops have families too, though that's not really a perfect analogy.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
It cuts both ways - if you make a name for yourself as a big wave rider you get sponsorships and can start to make real money. This guy was just starting to get that kind of notoriety, so I'm sure that plays into it. Firefighters and cops have families too, though that's not really a perfect analogy.

I hear what you're saying. My whole family surfs, and I understand how making money at something you love so much can be a huge pull, but that's not the feeling I got when I read his quote:
"I love being out on the ocean, not just the freedom that we get just being out there," Milosky told abstractlines.tv in November. "I would love to spend the next couple years searching and, like, maybe trying to really catch the biggest wave. That's like an insane feeling."

He said he wanted to "have fun surfing while I'm still young."
You're 35 with two kids, you're not "still young" IMO...and you shouldn't be surfing Maverick's.

Anyway, to be honest, probably some of my criticism is coming from the fact that I know people like him, good friends in fact, who risk their lives surfing big waves because it's a rush and a challenge, even though they have kids. But I didn't know Milosky, so I'll shut up now, and just say with all due respect, RIP.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
You guys seen Point Break? In the end of the movie when Bodhi decides to choose his own fate... would the best surfers in the world be able to survive a wave of that magnitude?
People have surfed 60 footers in Waimea Bay, Jaws, and some other spots. I have seen 30-40 at Mavericks and people surf that.

I vaguely remember Point Break but I don't know how big that wave was supposed to be.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
You guys seen Point Break? In the end of the movie when Bodhi decides to choose his own fate... would the best surfers in the world be able to survive a wave of that magnitude? Anyways, RIP
Yes they would. In fact one did to get the final scene in that movie. RIP Milosky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads