• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

another damn ankle boot thread!

floete

Reaction score
i have a pair of classic-type chelsea ankle boots but i need something else, something more. what i really like and do own are a pair of frye harness boots, which look great with jeans and just about everything else; only, i have to retire them for various stupid medical reasons. so ... what about these two:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7251801/c/69773.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7265984/c/3.html

thoughts?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Timberlands are a bit overly busy, but not too bad. I don't like the Lumianis much, and the quality seems likely suspect. I may be wrong about that last point, though.

floete

Reaction score
those boots are great. unfortunately they're too close to my frye's to work for me. i think i'm going to go with the timberlands; as busy as they are, i don't think they'll seem so when covered by pants.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by floete
those boots are great. unfortunately they're too close to my frye's to work for me. i think i'm going to go with the timberlands; as busy as they are, i don't think they'll seem so when covered by pants.

I suspect it has something to do with the heel height? Frye Brandos have a shorter heel than the rest of their line, and I think most Double H boots have a shorter heel, too. You might check those out. I don't like the Timberlands.

floete

Reaction score
i do like the double h's. that said, i just came across these new-style fryes at zappos. what'd'ya think of them?

985-272769-p.jpg

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the ones I fell in love with^

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by floete
i do like the double h's. that said, i just came across these new-style fryes at zappos. what'd'ya think of them?

I really like those in both the color you posted and the chestnut color.

floete

Reaction score
despite the appeal of the frye's, i also keep coming back to the lumiani's. when folks here say they suspect the quality of those boots, is that based on knowing the name and its reputation or based on being suspicious because it's a name never heard of before?
what i might do is get both. god, do i love zappos!
here, again, the lumiani's. i think it's more refined than the frye harness boots or the similiar chippawa's but at the same time still kind of out of the ordinary.

3832-305984-p.jpg

floete

Reaction score
i ordered all three boots, the timberland, the frye and the lumiani. the lumianis just felt like they'd fall apart after a week. the fryes looked pretty good but came with a defect; one of the tongues was stitched in wwwway off center. and, oddly enuf, the timberlands actually seem kind of great. i like the way they look w/ jeans and khakis the best and they're not too shaby w/ cords either. so i'm going to keep them, send the other two back.
down the road, i'll probably try another pair of the frye's, in black if zappos ever gets em.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the three, I'd personally send them all back and just get a non defective replacement for the Fryes. Not too surprised about the Lumianis.

floete

Reaction score
actually, that's what i just did. great minds must think alike!

floete

Reaction score
i reordered the boots yesterday and they're out for delivery today. love zappos! but what i mean to say is that, if you order these boots, or most other boots, through shoes.com, you can get 20% off if you use this link:

http://www.shoes.com/imedia/?PartnerId=CJ

on zappos, the frye boots cost $164. i called Zappos to take advantage of its 110% price protection guarantee and refered them to the appropriate Shoes.com link. they went, looked, and then gave me my new total, $124, for a savings of $39! wow!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads