• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

another critique my suit thread

2Scoops

Reaction score
Greetings,

Thinking of taking my suit in for some alterations. I'm actually rather slender so, I will probably take it in a little bit for starters. Wouldn't mind some more opinions however.

Thanks

suit.jpg

suit2.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think you'll save yourself alot of alterations if you size down.

It looks big in the chest, and while it doesnt appear huge in the shoulders, one size down would probably compliment those much better as well.

If thats the smallest size they have, you may want to consider a different cut (or brand) that will compliment a thin frame better.

If its too late for that, then you still have some options.

Have your tailor pin it up so that it brings the waist and chest in. I just feel it may be expensive to get right since it appears to be pretty big.

2Scoops

Reaction score
Thanks, it's not easy finding suits in 38L OTR. It just happens that I found this and it was on sale. I pretty much got it hoping to work with it a bit. I can't imagine how long it'll take me to find a 36L.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
then i guess you're going to have to work with it.

what kind of suit is this and how much did you pay for it?

bullitt440

Reaction score
Stepping down in jacket length might pull everything together. It has worked for me in some cases. Overall, the fit looks rather good to me, especially for it being in an unaltered state. If you prefer a roomier fit, you could leave everything as it is. For a slimmer fit, the shoulders/waist/hip probably needs to come in which, as SkinnyGoomba said, might get expensive.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Have your tailor heat shrink the jacket collar at the back to smooth out the creases.

2. Take it in on the side slightly so you can get rid of some of the creases on back shoulder/waist.

3. Have your tailor press the jacket to 3-roll-2 (basically leave the top button undone) so you don't look like an NBA player in the drafts.

4. Have your tailor add working sleeve buttons.
smile.gif

5. Could be expensive but you should shorten your jacket skirt by 1/2 to 1". Next time try Regular instead of Long. I find it ridiculous when sales person automatically brings you an Long jacket even though I am only 6' tall...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads