• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

another Chan question

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you go to a tailor such as Chan, or Mr Ned (as opposed to the really high priced guys) do they look at your physique and make suggestions for what would look good (soft or firm shoulder, high or low gorge, draped, etc), or do they leave it up to you to know exactly what you want?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never tried either of those guys you mentioned but in general, when going to the sub-3k MTM guys, it helps to be as specific as possible. Don't be annoying - obviously, but know what you want, explain it clearly and use pictures where possible.

Mentos

Reaction score
Patrick from Chan will steer you clear of disaster, but he won't intervene if you seem to have set preferences. So don't act confident if you're not. Even then he's pretty quiet, at least with me.

It is helpful that most of the decisions left up to you are more a matter of taste than of the essentials of the suit--it's hard to imagine anyone who's done a few hours of research here doing something totally terrible. But you should know what you want, esp if you want to end up with something personal yet appropriate--that's a fine line to walk.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Patrick Chu of W.W. Chan pretty helpful and forthcoming during my original fitting about what he thought would look best for me. Since then, we have just done some minor tweaking of my original pattern, and I have been very satisfied.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I had my first visit with Patrick in July. He tended to steer me away from some things rather than toward others. I came in wanting a fairly standard conservative 2 button. However, I wanted high armholes, waist suppression and open quarters. In each case, he suggested not going too extreme. Now, in the case of the waist suppression and the open quarters, his compromise was what I had in mind to begin with. I wasn't looking for anything too extreme. As to the armholes, I would have liked them higher. It's worth remembering that these terms are subjective. For instance, I asked that the jacket not be too close fitting because I had heard that Chan tended toward a very close fit. I now need the jacket taken in a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads