1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Another car poll: G37 vs. 335i

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by leftover_salmon, Dec 14, 2009.

1. RMIT

RMIT Member

335i is the monster with upgraded turbo kit

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Hmmm... Drove the BMW and thought the interior was crap. Not as bad as my Boxster, but still pretty bad. Haven't driven the Infiniti yet, so if the interior is worse, that is definitely a concern.

Car I've liked the most? Strangely enough the C300 I rented while in LA. Felt solid like old mid-80s Mercs, decent sportiness, and just generally felt really nice. The only reason I haven't bought one is I want to see if they've finally got a handle on their reliability issues. There are a couple of niggling issues on the inside, but overall, it felt pretty nice.

The IS is a total POS. Couldn't believe they were trying to sell that car as a sports sedan when they seemed to have gone out of their way to make it handle just like an ES. Neither my wife nor I could even stand to drive it around the block, and the dealer was pretty surprised when we told him we thought i sucked.

3. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

There's no back-up camera on the 3.
    On the flip side, Infiniti G offers no diesel option.
    Though there's a G25 base model in the pipeline.

4. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Here's the latest flavor of G sedan.
    2010 G37 just about to hit showrooms near you.
    I've driven both AWD G37 and 305HP AWD Acura TL.
    Handgrenades v. Apples

[​IMG]

5. username79

username79 Senior member

Hmmm... Drove the BMW and thought the interior was crap. Not as bad as my Boxster, but still pretty bad. Haven't driven the Infiniti yet, so if the interior is worse, that is definitely a concern. Car I've liked the most? Strangely enough the C300 I rented while in LA. Felt solid like old mid-80s Mercs, decent sportiness, and just generally felt really nice. The only reason I haven't bought one is I want to see if they've finally got a handle on their reliability issues. There are a couple of niggling issues on the inside, but overall, it felt pretty nice.
    What the FUCK? The C300 is a languid piece of shit. I had one for two weeks in SF -- you can't even hear the engine. How can you claim to own a Boxster and then use "sportiness" and C300 in the same thought?

6. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

↑↑

Go drive C300 Sport, then see me [​IMG]

P.S. Press S button to hear the engine and feel gears change.

7. username79

username79 Senior member

↑↑

Go drive C300 Sport, then see me [​IMG]

P.S. Press S button to hear the engine and feel gears change.

My Camry rental also has a "S" mode. You gotta be kidding me.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

What the FUCK? The C300 is a languid piece of shit. I had one for two weeks in SF -- you can't even hear the engine. How can you claim to own a Boxster and then use "sportiness" and C300 in the same thought?

I don't care about engine noise, plenty of that in my Boxster, and it gets kind of tiring unless I am autocrossing. A trip to Napa from SF is pretty exhausting until we get there and put the top down for some cruising.

The 3 series is nice, and I admit the steering feel and handling is more direct, but, frankly, if you want steering feel, it has nothing on the mid-engined Boxster, and the best deal in that sort of directness is the RX-8 (absolutely amazing feel) or Elise. The C300 actually feels like an entry level luxury car with sporting pretentions (and yes, the Sport button does make all the difference in the world - I drove it for a day before noticing that and my opinion entirely flipped based on that one button).

Then again, the pinnacle in cars, IMO, is the E30, and I'd personally get a 135i over a 335 just for the go-cart feel and small size, but I think most people are too insecure to be seen in one. In fact, I would buy a 5-door 135 the day they brought it over here.

As for the G, depending on your feeling about modding you car and which G you actually buy, that difference in price adds up to a lot of changes - from turbos, to suspension mods, sways, Brembos.

9. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Hmmm... Drove the BMW and thought the interior was crap. Not as bad as my Boxster, but still pretty bad. Haven't driven the Infiniti yet, so if the interior is worse, that is definitely a concern.
    I wouldn't quite call it crap, but its glad to see I'm not the only one on SF, who's 'meh' on the 3 series interior. It looks much better with the wood option, then again the same applies to the G37. It's funny you mentioned the RX-8, because I recently test drove all 3. I found both the 3 series and G-sedan to offer handling far superior to the majority of the typical sedan, however neither were even comparable to the tight razor-sharp handling of the Mazda.

10. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

My Camry rental also has a "S" mode.

The late, never great Pontiac Grand Am used to come with a spoiler.
    According to some salesmen that alone added about 12HP
    I don't see what's the relevance here.
    You can argue the Merc has a wooden steering (not to be mixed up with a disconnected steering which is a Honda trademark), but to fix that deficiency you'd need to step up to AMG kit.

11. username79

username79 Senior member

The late, never great Pontiac Grand Am used to come with a spoiler. According to some salesmen that alone added about 12HP I don't see what's the relevance here. You can argue the Merc has a wooden steering (not to be mixed up with a disconnected steering which is a Honda trademark), but to fix that deficiency you'd need to step up to AMG kit.
    The C300 was one of the most boring cars I have ever driven. What made matters worse was that it looked quite sporting and had all the touches in the interior and exterior which would make one excited to drive it. Driving it was such a let down! Wooden steering, turn in that takes days, extremely muted engine noise, squishy brakes, automatic transmission constantly hunting for gears, terrible fuel economy, body roll for days, and a surprisingly stiff suspension despite all the previous shortcomings. In short, one of the biggest pieces of shit I have ever driven and I hated every second of it. That BMW can make a car that is at once MORE COMFORTABLE and yet so much more involving and fun to drive is really a testament to how much the Merc sucks. The 2.5S Altima that I got my next time out was a better automobile in every way from a driving perspective. And that's really saying something..

12. scb

scb Senior member

i've owned a 335xi for almost 3 years now, and this engine is still a joy to drive every day. it's a monster

13. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Lease: BMW

Buy: Infiniti

I have an 08 G35 sedan (which is lighter/faster than the coupe). Is it perfect? No. Is it a lot of car for the money? YES! Main selling point for me was more interior room (3-series legroom is cramped front and back). But I know once it's paid for I'll have a free ride for 2-3 years before any major repair bills. Buying a BMW you could run into big repair bills while you're still making payments.

The top salesman at my nearby BMW dealer said "80% of my customers lease." I didn't have to ask for an explanation.

The only major headache with a BMW lease is the stupid run-flat tires. Plan to spend a lot replacing them while you have the car, or when you turn it in. Don't plan any long road trips. Also consider the time the car will spend at the dealer for repairs they can't diagnose (which could be weeks at a time).

14. Chugsie

Chugsie New Member

Another vote for the 335, that N54 engine is awesome. Though the G is definitely a good car too.

15. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Just test drove both of them. Hands down the BMW.

The Infiniti has a powerful engine, but the BMW's is so fucking smooth. I was gliding along the highway at 120.