1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement - The forum is moving

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Jun 10, 2005.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm gearing up with the help of our old friend Linux_pro to convert the forum to a better system (vBulletin) and move it to his server, which should be much more reliable that the current one and is also local to me. This will hopefully happen within the next two weeks. Please be prepared for downtime, though I'll try to make it as painless as possible (probably try for a Sunday).

Further bulletins as events warrant.

2. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I like the look, color, interface of this forum. Will the forum look the same after the move?

3. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm going to work on the color scheme, but the interface will change a little bit. All the major forum software packages are relatively similar, so it shouldn't be much of a learning curve. If you want to see what the default vBulletin interface looks like, you can check it out here. For the most part, I think you'll find it an improvement. The search system in vBulletin seems to work very well, for example.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will all the old topics be preserved??

5. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

What will the improvements be?

6. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I checked it out and it looks fairly similar and easy to use. The one thing I don't like is that the names of the posters are in headers at the top of the messages, so there's a lot of space between the text. I know it's a small point but it adds some time when you're trying to scroll through threads quickly.

7. Michael66

Michael66 Active Member

My opinion, too.

8. otis

otis Well-Known Member

This is a great move, several other boards I read use vbulletin and I find it by far the easiest discussion group format to use. You will especially like the quick search function that's available from every page.

9. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I am active on several other forums that use this format - it's a good system.

J - how are you doing on forum finances? Do you need any help with that?

Bradford

10. j

j Senior member Admin

Yes, we will be importing the whole database including users, posts, hopefully PMs, etc. I plan to leave the old forum where it is for long enough to make sure everything's working perfectly and I'll keep a backup of the whole thing.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I agree, but I don't think it should be a huge deal to change that to make it more like this system. There are lots of ready-made styles available and tons of customization options - much more than ikonboard.

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

hey j, what do you do when you are not either moderating this place, restoring this place, upgrading this place, posting at this place or buying clothes to brag about at this place?

13. j

j Senior member Admin

I am a billionaire steel tycoon. BTW, the original j has been gone for a while. I, Mittal, have bought and taken his place. Bow before me.

14. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Now l'm starting to worry. l've been kicked off the forum twice (by computer error) now in the last 3 months. Now this will be a 3rd time. l hope l can log in right.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hmmm....

I think I want those jeans back, then, you crazy albino Indian...

16. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Liar. I am Mittal...[​IMG]

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm not sure it was because of "ňúcomputer error'... [​IMG] Jon.

18. j

j Senior member Admin

Progress report: Dave (linux_pro) has been working very hard getting a dump of the current forum database (this one) imported into the new forum and we now have all the users and all the posts (as of a few days ago - this is a trial run). We have a few more things to iron out but we should be on track to switch over to the new system on Sunday. I think you guys are really going to like it. I know I do - the admin interface is night and day compared to this one's.

19. j

j Senior member Admin

Update: we are getting close to the final conversion. Issues right now:

1. PMs. We may or may not be able to save/convert the private messages that users have in their mailboxes. Please back up, copy & paste into a text file, or print any Private Messages you wish to save. It's looking promising, but just in case, save any that you don't want to lose.

2. Passwords. The passwords in the Ikonboard database are one-way hashed (encrypted) and are not readable by the new forum software. Thus, we will have to reset all the passwords. Dave is working on a way to auto-generate new passwords and send them to the registered email address of each user on the board. This way, users won't have to deal with resetting it themselves.

However, some users may have lost access to the account they used to sign up. For example, an old Hotmail or similar account may have been used that has since gone inactive/expired. Anyone with this issue would do best to change their registered email address on the board before the move to avoid the problem. That can be done through "Your Control Panel".