• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Annals of shirt alteration

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

A few English shirts that I recently bought secondhand have sleeves altered in a way that is, to me at least, unusual.

To shorten the sleeve, rather than cut away fabric at the cuff end, someone doubled up the fabric at the shoulder on one shirt, and a few inches down the upper arm on the other. I only realized this when I was looking at the latter shirt hanging and wondering why its stripes suddenly ceased to match in mid-bicep. On the other shirt, where this was done at the shoulder, the doubling is less perceptible because it is more or less flush with the shoulder seam.

My general question is, is this alteration something professional tailors do, or is it just a sort of home remedy?

If I remove the mid-arm stiching and let the fabric unfold, will the holes close up after a good wash? Or must I do something else?

yours

mack11211

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Sounds like the sleeves were shortened at the shoulder. This is normal so as not to have to alter a cuff or placket at the end of the arm. It's an easier alteration. As far as letting the stitching out, this won't work. Sleeves taper toward the wrist, so if they were altered, fabric was cut off. This means the shoulder opening will be a smaller circumference, and that is why the stitching is there, to pinch the shirt, and make up for the difference.

Dan

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I made myself clear.

I just looked on the inside of each shirt. All the fabric is still there...it's like a dart in the back; the fabric is folded over and the fold is sewn shut. On the one shortened at mid-bicep, the fabric is drawn up all around the arm. On the one shortened at the shoulder, the fabric is drawn in at the shoulder but not at the under arm.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a do-it-yourself alteration. I am guessing that the holes would be a lot less noticeable after a good wash or two, but I'd be concerned about whether the fabric has faded or otherwise aged unevenly. Only one way to find out....

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.