1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Annals of shirt alteration, cont'd

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack11211, Jan 20, 2005.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

What's that with my whites in the dryer...

Oh no. My white shirt. Never meant it to go in the *dryer*....

...and so a 34 sleeve becomes a 33.

Question: Have you ever had, or made, a too-short double cuff shirt into a barrel cuff, perhaps with two or three buttons T&A style? Are the consequent sleeve placket issues insurmountable, or just difficult?

Just wondering if there is a way to save the shirt.

2. stache

stache Senior Member

I did that with a few shirts. It looks better with a more casual type fabric imo. I tried it with a tux shirt and it just didn't look right but was fine as long as I kept the jacket on over it.

3. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

Thanks.

On the upside, Mr. Dryer the Tailor has now turned my oversized bought-in-a-moment-of-weakness 16/35s into 15.5/34s. Yay. This time I did it on purpose.

Of course this only works with the tentier shirts (one was a BB oxford) such as we have in this country, with giant chest and arm measurements. Also works better with looser weaves (oxford cloth) than tighter ones (tightly woven broadcloth). Works a little less well on the neck, in the latter fabric.

But with either shirt, it took an inch off the sleeve quite nicely.

Now the dryer is my friend.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

mack11211
    Yes - the very first shirt I made after I turned "pro". It was a pnk shirt with a white jacquard stripe. The sleeve wasn't an inch too short, though, it was 3" too short. So I made a 6" long, 5 button barrel cuff. Still have the shirt. Figure some day I'll take up flamenco dancing and have the perfect costume.