• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anna Matuozzo - A walk-through of my bespoke shirt purchase in Napoli.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PSG, I've never bought a shirt from Matuozzo, but I stopped in to interview her for a post at ASW. From my experience, nobody there speaks English, so you'll want to bring a translator. I can't remember if I've referred mine to you, but if you'd like her contact info, I can give it to you.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She doesn't work with locals because any napolitans would pay this (crazy) amount for a shirt.

In Italy and in Naples in particular the shirt it is considered a garment with short life that isn't worth high investment.
It should primarly fit well (being well constructed) and next have nice handworks but without obsession for them.
Personalization in terms of style and construction details is more important of redundant scenic handwork.

Merolla and Satriano Cinque (de L'ero) actually are probably the best options considering value for money for the napolitans connoisseurs.

(Obviously not considering small gems like unknow familiar workshops, but you won't find anyone that easily advice them)

Last edited:

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the informative post. Too rich for my blood.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PSG, I've never bought a shirt from Matuozzo, but I stopped in to interview her for a post at ASW. From my experience, nobody there speaks English, so you'll want to bring a translator. I can't remember if I've referred mine to you, but if you'd like her contact info, I can give it to you.

Thanks Die I appreciate it. Yes, you did share that contact. It will be far more enjoyable to go around with a translator. The range of my Italian is limited to "scusi" and pinot grigio :)

scotchman

Reaction score
Love the shirt, love the thread. I would also love to see a pic of that shirt paired up with a suit and tie :)

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen. I'll see if I can get a fit pic up at some point. I wanted to do some tie shopping first. I was a little ambitious in my fabric choice, but I already have dozens of safe shirts so I thoughts I'd stretch out a little. But now I realize that I only have one (paisley) tie that will work with this shirt, so I've got to get a few more options.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depend in what circles you run, but I would not say Napoli is a very poor city. It has many issues indeed and as many cities there are well off people as well as struggling ones. There are plenty of businessmen and rich families in residential area like Posillipo e Vomero. Many are used to get bespoke shirt from home based seamstress were you can pay (excluding fabrics) from 35 euro (all machine sew- probably not great but still bespoke with trials) to 50-70 with a couple of handwork. At 80-100 CMT you can already get great shirts from more established operations and
I talked about this in my previous post were I had reviewed Prisco (my favourite) and Lombardi (my second favourites). By buying Riva shirting yourself in some places at 45 euro per meter, for less then 250 euro you can get an equally well made shirt with spare money to get another one with a normal fabric.

You can also get bespoke in Naples from stellar tailor that do not have the international presence of Rubinacci, but that some time have actually been cutters there, at almost 1/3 of the price. You are lucky enough to be stationed there so have time on your hands.

Ciao

AmericanGent

Reaction score

Depend in what circles you run, but I would not say Napoli is a very poor city. It has many issues indeed and as many cities there are well off people as well as struggling ones. There are plenty of businessmen and rich families in residential area like Posillipo e Vomero. Many are used to get bespoke shirt from home based seamstress were you can pay (excluding fabrics) from 35 euro (all machine sew- probably not great but still bespoke with trials) to 50-70 with a couple of handwork. At 80-100 CMT you can already get great shirts from more established operations and
I talked about this in my previous post were I had reviewed Prisco (my favourite) and Lombardi (my second favourites). By buying Riva shirting yourself in some places at 45 euro per meter, for less then 250 euro you can get an equally well made shirt with spare money to get another one with a normal fabric.

You can also get bespoke in Naples from stellar tailor that do not have the international presence of Rubinacci, but that some time have actually been cutters there, at almost 1/3 of the price. You are lucky enough to be stationed there so have time on your hands.

Ciao

Grazie Marco- looking forward to learning more about Napoli from you. I'll be in touch.

dfoverdx

Reaction score
I also used Anna for an order of 5 shirts. I know now it was crazy idea but the aim was reducing to go to Naples very often. As i was ordering 5 shirts i expected a little bit discount from Anna and she made shirts 375 Euros for each. At the end only button holes and shoulders were set by hand on 4 shirts and on one shirt even the button holes were made by machine. The fit was overall good. As i was disappointed by the handwork she did i will definitely not return. This is a classic in Naples as i am told by one of the trouser maker in Naples : Tailors will try to get as much money as possible from you, this is the main goal, they don't think a long term relationship and it hurts business and they don't realize it. He also adds that you will loose money at the beginning. I wish i discussed with that guy the first time i was in Naples.
So my conclusion is all these guys that are doing tailoring at very artistic level they think and presented by some guys with films etc. it's just a rose painted story. Be careful in Naples, try not to loose too much money at the beginning.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I have lived here in Napoli for over 18 months and have not bought a single item yet! I'm still researching and waiting!
Anna has many wealthy clients from Japan and my wife is Japanese, so after learning about Anna from a Japanese website she bought this shirt for me. Like I said it's a one time thing for me- I don't have the money for more shirts at this price, so I just enjoyed the experience and documented it for the forum.
I'm sorry your experience with Anna was not what you expected. When I learn more about better options in Napoli I will be sure to share in a new thread.

dan'l

Reaction score
Thanks for the great thread.

So the IJ box set is gonna get more use? ;)

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Thanks for the great thread.

So the IJ box set is gonna get more use?
wink.gif

Ha- yes probably so! Actually my wife just mentioned to me today that we haven't watched it yet- so they are tied at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics