• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ankles showing while walking

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Hi there

Im not sure what to about my suit trousers for my suit. Effectively its got a half / quarter break look while standing. But when im walking about it shows a lot of ankle, which makes me self concious. I want a clean silhouette. When its windy it just looks really silly. What should I do about this? I wear a size 9 shoe, 9 inch ankles. The inseam length is 28, I can get this lengthened by an inch. Another spanner is that my legs are quite large.

Should I let it out completely? Should I get the hem tapered from knee down? I think the hem is about 8.5-9 inch.

I wonder if its the fact my thighs are large, and as I walk it rises up as im walking. The trousers feel comfortable while walking and sitting. I can cross my legs, so good mobility, not tight. so i dont know what to do

Screenshot_20230306-114449_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230306_114809.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Im not sure what to about my suit trousers for my suit. Effectively its got a half / quarter break look while standing. But when im walking about it shows a lot of ankle, which makes me self concious. I want a clean silhouette. When its windy it just looks really silly. What should I do about this? I wear a size 9 shoe, 9 inch ankles. The inseam length is 28, I can get this lengthened by an inch. Another spanner is that my legs are quite large.

Should I let it out completely? Should I get the hem tapered from knee down? I think the hem is about 8.5-9 inch.

I wonder if its the fact my thighs are large, and as I walk it rises up as im walking. The trousers feel comfortable while walking and sitting. I can cross my legs, so good mobility, not tight. so i dont know what to do

View attachment 1911111 View attachment 1911117

Not the best pictures to show what you mean.
Many men, also here, seem to prefer rather short trousers showing part of the ankle. If this, instead, is not what you like, the easiest solution is to lengthen the hem. You might also consider to have a slanted hem, that is longer on the back than on the front.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Im not sure what to about my suit trousers for my suit. Effectively its got a half / quarter break look while standing. But when im walking about it shows a lot of ankle, which makes me self concious.

the trouser cuff is going to rise when you bend your leg—there’s nothing you can do about that. Showing some ankle when you walk is okay. To avoid this completely you’d either need 2” of extra length at least, or alternatively you could walk without bending your hips and knees.

Shirt sleeves are a different story. You want them to end halfway down your hand with the cuff unbuttoned so that the cuff doesn’t rise up when you bend your arm. buttoning the cuff keeps the end of the sleeve at the end of the wrist. The extra length in the shirt sleeve is hidden under your jacket sleeve. You can’t do this with trousers, obviously.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Not to be Captain Obvious, but your trousers can only be one length, so you just have to decide whether you want them to look good when you're standing perfectly still, but maybe a tad short while you're walking and/or sitting down. If you hem them to a length where less ankle shows while you're walking, they're going to look sloppy and pool around your ankles when you're standing still.

Mirage-

Reaction score
The trousers seem to not drape very well, maybe a heavier/denser cloth would be better, or maybe they just really need some ironing. But besides that, I think the length is perfect, for my taste anyway.
It's a matter of preference though, I don't mind showing a little bit of sock when moving in order to get a clean drape when standing; but I also cuff all trousers except washable chinos, so any longer becomes a mess. If you don't like cuffs, I would try slanted hems.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go a drop lower...based on the first pic.

But seriously...how on earth do you know you show a lot of ankle while walking? Stop looking down.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The trouser circumference at the hem is good.
As others have said, slanting the hem will help the most.
Add .5" at the front and 1.5" at the back.
Going forward, measure how far the back of the trouser sits from the top of the shoe heel.
Wear this same shoe with any future trousers you buy.
Ask the tailor to mark the length at the heel, not the front and hem with a 1" angle. They will fold up the hem and measure up from the heel the amount you need. This is the most consistent way to get the length right.
You may have to adjust the amount if the opening circumference is different.
Example: Measuring from the crotch to the front crease and to the back crease should be 1" difference.
31" front/ 32"back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads