• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ankle injury at the gym - help?

livelyzombie

Reaction score
I was doing some squats at the gym and in between reps I was getting in some standing rows with dumbbells. On the last rep I sidestepped without looking and slipped over the weight, falling until my leg and ankle were about ninety degrees or each other. Adrenaline still rushing I did a few more squats and it was mostly numb, but soon after the pain started to set in. I limped home, iced it, put some pillows under it and went to bed.

Today it looks like I've got a golf ball under my skin. I can rotate my foot but it does cause a sharp pain. Walking is difficult though I can manage it and the area is pretty bruised.

As I've never really hurt my ankle before, I don't know if this is symptomatic of a bad sprain or something worse (which I doubt, since I at least CAN move it in some directions). Any advice for things to look for or tips for quick recovery?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found there is something really simple you can do for this.

Go to a doctor.

You're welcome.

livelyzombie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I've found there is something really simple you can do for this.

Go to a doctor.

You're welcome.

Thanks for your advice but I'm afraid I don't have health insurance right now. I'd like to see if there's anything I can do for myself before spending money I don't have.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you expect your car insurance to pay for minor repairs on your car?

I'll try to put it in perspective. Do you use your body in some way to earn a living and will you in the future? If no and never, then ignore me.

If yes and/or yes, then realize that you will impact your future earnings potential, your most valuable asset possible if you do not do what it takes to get this fixed appropriately. The ankle is complex. It could be a sprain, it could be a break, it could be all kinds of other crazy damage. Pay now (doctor bill) or pay later (reduction in income).

livelyzombie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Do you expect your car insurance to pay for minor repairs on your car?

I'll try to put it in perspective. Do you use your body in some way to earn a living and will you in the future? If no and never, then ignore me.

If yes and/or yes, then realize that you will impact your future earnings potential, your most valuable asset possible if you do not do what it takes to get this fixed appropriately. The ankle is complex. It could be a sprain, it could be a break, it could be all kinds of other crazy damage. Pay now (doctor bill) or pay later (reduction in income).

Let me try putting it in perspective for you: I can either go to the doctor for an x-ray and exam or eat for the next two weeks.

Thank you for your input but you've made your point. I asked if anyone had advice as to how I should care for it or how I could tell if it were a sprain or a break. Your commentary on my labor economics are not wanted.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Sounds like a sprain. I'm not a doctor, but I've had the "golfball under the skin" thing where you can't fit your foot in a shoe and hobble around a bit. I'd have a friend go get you some ibeuprofen to help with the swelling, an ace bandage to wrap it up to keep it from getting worse, and some ice. Keep it elevated and try not to walk around too much. You'll be gimpy for a few days to a week.

If it's beyond a week and you're still having trouble doing anything, then you should consider a doctor b/c it might be more serious.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pay later it is.

For now, RICE = rest, ice, compression, elevation

I've been incredibly poor and without health insurance before so don't act like I don't understand.

livelyzombie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Sounds like a sprain. I'm not a doctor, but I've had the "golfball under the skin" thing where you can't fit your foot in a shoe and hobble around a bit. I'd have a friend go get you some ibeuprofen to help with the swelling, an ace bandage to wrap it up to keep it from getting worse, and some ice. Keep it elevated and try not to walk around too much. You'll be gimpy for a few days to a week.

If it's beyond a week and you're still having trouble doing anything, then you should consider a doctor b/c it might be more serious.

Whew, that's a relief. Luckily I've got some ibeuprofen here. It's a relief to know you've experienced a similar injury - if it's been a week I'll take your advice and head off to the doctor's office. Thanks!

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me this summer when I landed on the side of my foot during a soccer game. I limped off the pitch, but managed to come back and play a little longer.

The next day, the ankle had swollen up (though not to golf ball size) and turned purple, and I couldn't put any weight on it.

So I exploited our communist Canadian healthcare system and went to the doctor to see what was up. He basically said that had it been a break, there would have been no chance of continuing to play after I'd hurt it. It was a moderate sprain (probably grade 2) and I took four weeks off soccer and running to heal it.

If you really can't get to a doctor, take the RICE advice for now and things should be feeling better soon.

And biking is about the only exercise you should be doing on a sprained ankle; if you try to rush back and end up re-injuring it, you could easily do long term damage to the ligaments.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on ibuprofen. I had a similar injury and that really improved it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've sprained both of my ankles in the past. It sounds like a sprain but it can also involve a torn ligament. RICE method + anti-inflammatory medicine (e.g. Aleve) may work for the former but if it's a bad one or a torn ligament, you'll need the ankle wrapped and to walk on crutches so as to not put any weight on it + you'll eventually need physical therapy after the ankle has healed.

Aren't there pro-bono doctors who can see you in your area?

kever

Reaction score
I used to sprain my ankles frequently with basketball. The RICE thing works. I also like alternating hot and cold baths starting 2 or 3 days after the injury to get blood circulating. For compression, assuming the inflamation is right around the ankle bone, take some high density foam(about a 1/4 inch think if you can find it), cut it in the shape of a big U so that the ankle bone fits in the middle of the U, put it on your ankle then wrap it in a tensor bandage. Not too tight, but firm. It moves the bruising and swelling up your leg and away from the injury.

livelyzombie

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm following RICE and have taken some ibuprofen. I'm very relieved to hear that several of you have had similar injuries and some simple r&r was all it took.

premo

Reaction score
I also like to do contrast baths.

Hot/cold/hot/cold 10 min each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads