• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ankle Boots - How much toe room?

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of black ankle boots to wear this winter for some semi-formal dinners / parties but had a question about the amount of toe room. I'm not particularly a shoe aficionado so maybe this is a silly question but, hopefully someone can help me out.

Basically right now the boots fit snug around my foot and are very comfortable but there is I would say a good 7/8" - 1" of room in front of my big toe. Is this normal? I have fairly small feet (these are 7 1/2) but most of my other shoes are 8s.

Thanks!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the shape of the boot. Some have more toe room than others (think of the differences in the shapes of a very chiseled chelsea versus a very round-toed chukka). The key thing is whether the widest part of your foot falls at the corresponding part of the boot, and if the boots are snug enough to keep your feet from sliding around. You don't want your toes squeezed just to leave less room at the toe.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your fit is probably fine if the boots are comfortable. I have a somewhat sleek pair where I have a bit more toe room compared to the others I have.

PolePosition

Reaction score
If your heel is sliding around, then the shoe is too big. But since you said the boot is comfortable, that implies the heel and everything else really, is correctly fit to your feet. That being the case, like the others have said, the room in the toebox is kinda subjective, just depends on the shoe. So you're probably fine :p

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Thanks guys, like I said my heel isn't lifting or sliding around at all, it's just a little bit more toe room than I am normally used to. They are a more narrow boot and don't have a hugely rounded front so I guess that sounds about right.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLetterDay
Thanks guys, like I said my heel isn't lifting or sliding around at all, it's just a little bit more toe room than I am normally used to. They are a more narrow boot and don't have a hugely rounded front so I guess that sounds about right.
Sounds about right to me, and similar to the fit of the styles I have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads