• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ankle Boot Appreciation! Here are mine, show me some of yours?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Soph, how do you like the RM Williams boots? Are they as stylish and generate as many compliments as the others? Are they comfortable? I'm considering ordering a pair for clubbing and for wear in slushy weather.

Yes, I think you would be highly pleased. That last/toe shape has been around for 25 years, and there is a reason why, its a classic.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Do you happen to know what the RM Williams models are? (Craftsman, Gardener, etc.)

Craftsman I believe, these are the square toe option of their classic boot.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Do you happen to know what the RM Williams models are? (Craftsman, Gardener, etc.)

Craftsman
Our Top of the Line Dress boot.
Luxury French veal calf leather, leather lined.
Sewn welt leather soles with flat heels.
Chisel square toes.
Individual protective moleskin boot bag for each boot
Chestnut (dark brown) and Black
Sizes: 6-12 (US7-13) Medium & Wide

Great versatile boot goes well with jeans and business casual.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Craftsman
Our Top of the Line Dress boot.
Luxury French veal calf leather, leather lined.
Sewn welt leather soles with flat heels.
Chisel square toes.
Individual protective moleskin boot bag for each boot
Chestnut (dark brown) and Black
Sizes: 6-12 (US7-13) Medium & Wide

Great versatile boot goes well with jeans and business casual.

I am glad you posted these pics. I was planning on ordering two pairs of the Craftsman next week. Thanks!

Gene

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must get some RM Williams I think.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
http://www.bootsonline.com.au/

This is where I purchased mine.

I've been considering a special order from them, since the additional charge seems modest and I could get a Craftsman with cuban heel and screwed on, composite sole for tromping through slush, beer & pretzels, etc.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I've been considering a special order from them, since the additional charge seems modest and I could get a Craftsman with cuban heel and screwed on, composite sole for tromping through slush, beer & pretzels, etc.

--- For the money they are very nice, the veal is their finest leather, however, it isn't as durable. The Tan is very nice as the color is superb with jeans. Great go anywhere boots and definitly have a nice understated, masculine feel. I think you would love them, and you definitly will wear them.

16520Man

Reaction score
New Schuberts in this week, my only ankle boots:

Schubert.jpg

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16520Man
New Schuberts in this week, my only ankle boots:

Schubert.jpg

-----Great color!!!

mbloom

Reaction score
I love all types of boots, but my collection has recently focused on sleek ankle boots [pics when I get my digital camera working...). I have black Ferragamo rounded toe lace-ups, Louis Vuitton Cycliste boots (a low version of the Asprey City boots: cognac tapered wholcut laceups with a buckle on top), and my Sutor Mantellasi ankle buckle boots in antique graphite (more or less a jodphur style).

Next on the list is a higher lace-up with at least 10 eyelets/hooks, and even a pair of Beatle boots from Beatwear.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
I am glad you posted these pics. I was planning on ordering two pairs of the Craftsman next week. Thanks! Gene
I love boots and owe a fair few of them. I can't show them as I am in NY city right now but I can tell you that for the price RM Williams really give you a ridiculous amount of bang for your buck. They are an RM Williams speciality and so they do a far better job of making them than the vast majority of flashier labels I am finding here on 5th and Madison Ave. Firstly they are Goodyear welted - hand welted to be more precise. Too many labels reserve Chelseas for cheaper lines for some reason and these are often blake constructed. Secondly, you have a wide range of options to choose from. You can get them made with the chisel toed last, narrow medium toed last (a little bit pointy toed without being too exaggerated), Tanami last (like the narrow medium last except a fraction more round toed), or the more round toed original or medium toed lasts. The wide toed last has a form similar to the EG 202 last. In fact nearly all of their lasts are extremely elegant and compare favourably to C&Js or even EG lasts. Thirdly they use good quality full grain leathers. This is a refreshing constrast to the likes of Loake (including those they make for Charles Tyrwhitt) which all too often use corrected grain leather. If toughness and durability are what you are after I would recommend kangaroo leather (they are as common as rodents in Australia and not endangered). In fact is that the only Chelseas I have seen so far here in New York that come anywhere near managing to match - and indeed do surpass - RM Williams are the range produced by John Lobb. Even then RM Williams provides far greater choice in their standard RTW range of Chelseas. Now that I own a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds I am in a better position to advise on converting the Australian/UK sizing to US sizes. The following is RM Williams' own conversion scale that I have previously posted:
sc002553ad0yj.jpg
An A&E size 8 in the number 5 last is a tiny fraction (maybe about 1/8'' or less) longer than an RMW size 7 in the chisel toed last. However the standard RMW G width is wider than the standard A&E D width, and thus fits more like a US E width. The narrow medium toed last is predictably a tiny fraction narrower but the RMW G width in this last still surprisingly fits much like a US E width as I suspect it may be a bit longer. As far as heels go I was surprised to find that the block heel is really quite elegant. I feared it would look to fashion forward but they seem to suit the Yearling made with its sleek narrow medium toed last. In fact the Yearling looks really quite dressy and remarkably understated. Still the Craftsman would be my first recommendation but I for one plan to get a pair of Yearlings as well. Cubans heels really are too fashion forward for my taste as is the square toed last. Hope this has helped!

kali77

Reaction score
Sator,
Thank you very much for the informative post. This helps me quite a bit with the sizing and the differnet models etc... I actually PM'd Soph in regards to sizing. Thanks
smile.gif

Also are they cheaper in Australia than say an online vendor? The reason I ask is my Sister lives in Freemantle. If it would be cheaper to have her pick them up for me, this would be a viable option.

Gene

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
Sator, Thank you very much for the informative post. This helps me quite a bit with the sizing and the differnet models etc... I actually PM'd Soph in regards to sizing. Thanks
smile.gif
Also are they cheaper in Australia than say an online vendor? The reason I ask is my Sister lives in Freemantle. If it would be cheaper to have her pick them up for me, this would be a viable option. Gene

They are much cheaper online. For standard retail pricing and their full range see the RM Williams website: http://rmwilliams.com.au/home.asp If you really want to try before you buy there is an RM Williams store in New York on E. 59th St off Madison Ave. Otherwise the next closest is the store in London. For a full list of store locations see their website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads